Banking Up and Down / Scenes

spanny

Inspired
Question for you guys… I play in a cover band and have a good amount of different sounds throughout the night, so I set each song as its own preset then utilize the scenes for the different sounds for each song. Buttons 1-5 on the MFC are assigned to scenes 1-5 respectively.

I want to be able to bank up/down 1 preset (song) at a time, then engage the next preset (song) with the specific scene I want. So for example, if song 1 (preset 1) ends on scene 3, then song 2 (preset 2) starts on scene 4, I want that preset loaded when I select scene 4 (button 4 on the MFC). Right now I have to bank up/down, select the preset, then hit reveal This becomes a problem because we have a lot of songs that transition into one-another.

Any help on how to setup the MFC to work this way would be greatly appreciated!

Question for you guys… I play in a cover band and have a good amount of different sounds throughout the night, so I set each song as its own preset then utilize the scenes for the different sounds for each song. Buttons 1-5 on the MFC are assigned to scenes 1-5 respectively.

I want to be able to bank up/down 1 preset (song) at a time, then engage the next preset (song) with the specific scene I want. So for example, if song 1 (preset 1) ends on scene 3, then song 2 (preset 2) starts on scene 4, I want that preset loaded when I select scene 4 (button 4 on the MFC). Right now I have to bank up/down, select the preset, then hit reveal This becomes a problem because we have a lot of songs that transition into one-another.

Any help on how to setup the MFC to work this way would be greatly appreciated!
Why do you have to hit Reveal? To get your scene IAs?

If so, just set them to be on the "main" mode.

Also, you could use preset mapping, which allows you to specify that when preset X is selected, to instead go to preset Y on scene N.

Check the Axe Fx manual for more on preset mapping. It will work but can be cumbersome if you have a lot of presets.

Could you set a global bank size of 1, move to song mode, leave reveal on all the time (or set switches 1-5 to switch scenes), and simply step on the desired starting scene before the song begins? It’s two clicks - advance bank, select scene. Alternatively, make scene 1 the starting scene in all your songs?

yep bank size 0 and if you want a song to start on scene 4, why not just rearrange that preset's scenes using copy/paste feature in axe edit and make it scene 1. Order of scenes should match the order of what's happening in the song anyway:)

yep bank size 0 and if you want a song to start on scene 4, why not just rearrange that preset's scenes using copy/paste feature in axe edit and make it scene 1.
You're assuming that preset is used in only 1 scenario.
Order of scenes should match the order of what's happening in the song anyway:)
That is completely dependant on your personal opinion... Most of my presets are used for many songs (often a whole set on 1 preset), so that logic holds no water...

I changed to bank size 0 which works to scroll one preset at a time. However I don't want that to engage that particular preset until I press one of the scenes buttons, is there a way to change that?

I changed to bank size 0 which works to scroll one preset at a time. However I don't want that to engage that particular preset until I press one of the scenes buttons, is there a way to change that?
this is one of the few scenarios where you need to use Bank Size 2 (or greater). you'll have 2 preset switches on Switch 1 and 2, and you can use the Bank Style setting to cause the Preset load to wait for you to press a switch. be sure to read the NOTE at the bottom of this from the MFC manual:

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 3.44.02 PM.png

this is one of the few scenarios where you need to use Bank Size 2 (or greater). you'll have 2 preset switches on Switch 1 and 2, and you can use the Bank Style setting to cause the Preset load to wait for you to press a switch. be sure to read the NOTE at the bottom of this from the MFC manual:

View attachment 43341
Unless he has a mkIII, in which case the Starting Preset number can be assigned to whatever switch you choose. :)

You could use midi-mapping.

Leave the 'Map From Preset' and 'Map To Preset' at the defaults to avoid some confusion, But change the 'Map To Scene' value on those presets that you wish to start on something other than the default setting of scene 1

You could use midi-mapping.

Leave the 'Map From Preset' and 'Map To Preset' at the defaults to avoid some confusion, But change the 'Map To Scene' value on those presets that you wish to start on something other than the default setting of scene 1
But if you are not going to map the preset and only the scene it's probably simpler to just rearrange scenes.

I was assuming the OP is wanting to use the scenes almost like presets within a preset. So in some cases he maybe wants, for example, to change presets to preset #1 scene 4 and in another case change presets to preset #1 scene 2.

Maybe I'm assuming too much... ;)

It sounds like my options to do this will be to rearrange my scenes. I was hoping to be a quick setting change to prevent the preset from auto-engaging as I bank up through presets

When I was playing live I used preset per song and setlist in the mfc. with mfc edit this was pretty easy to set up several setlists. as far as songs, I only know so many and make the presets for the song as I learnt them, so the scenes were in song name and order. there are plenty of presets in the axe fx for this and copying presets and renaming is easy, only takes time to get set up to start. after set up it is quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom