Bank Sysex Files - can you load them to different banks?

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I was wondering if it's possible to load say 'Waldo_Bank_A' into the bank 'C' bank area in the Axe-FX II. The reason this came to mind is that most of my daily presets reside in Bank A. When I download other folks' banks, I would love to be able to load them to an alternate bank so I don't have to backup my own bank A (which I have) and then load the new bank.

Is there a byte/string/value that resides within the sysex of the bank file that tells it where to load? Are embedded patch numbers used to determine where to load the data (hope not). I'm hoping the former so I can write a quick utility that will allow alternate bank placement if required.

Thanks!

Pete

If you use Axe-Edit (Axe-Edit Software Editor for the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Guitar Processor) you can choose the destination bank. I guess it is the easiest way.

If you want to use a third party tool like MIDI-OX or your own tool you would have to edit the sysex bank file before sending. I think for the Axe-Fx II it has not been documented so far which bytes have to be changed, but it should be possible to figure this out by comparing the sysex files of banks A, B and C.

Good info on the Axe Edit capability! I usually use the Snoize Sysex utility. Also, good info on the binaries, but I don't know if there's a tool on the Mac (or available) that will do this. An older operating system (OS9 - not the Mac one) had a 'cmp' command that would in effect do binary diffs. If the magic string is in the header, it may be able to be decoded just using Mac OSX's 'od' command to generate hex dumps.

Thanks!

Pete

The sysex files can be inspected with a hex editor like Okteta. I had a a quick look at the first bytes of the bank files. My guess is, it could be bytes 7 and 11 which determine the bank ... but no warranties ...

Yup - there are a few more bytes that are different as well. What I ended up doing was:

od -x File1 >file1_dump /* hex dump of the file in printable format */
od -x File2 >file2_dump /* ditto */
diff file1_dump file2_dump | more

This is still a LONG way from a decent binary compare, but it sort of gets the job done, albeit painfully.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom