Bands that epitomize a certain amp’s sound

Ok. To me that’s not a modeler in this show. Listen. I bet hmmm a tiramisu!
And if it is… that’s the first time it sound like this.

I think the biggest difference going on in these vids is you’re hearing them in a small room (I’ve seen a ton of shows there, it’s 10 minutes down the street from me) as opposed to the stadiums/fields they’ve been playing where the sound is getting tossed all over the place. I would have been at this show if the tickets weren’t $400+. I can’t even remember the last time I saw a video of them playing indoors in recent years. That’s a 7,000 capacity venue, the smallest gig they’ve done in quite a while outside of those San Fran shows.

I tend to roll my eyes at judging their sound over cell phone videos, they all sound like varying degrees of shit. They sound GREAT live, in person. Even their own soundboard recordings don’t really hold up in comparison to how they actually sound live.

It just seems completely illogical to me for them to use the same prop back line they’ve been using for 20 years, but instead they’re not props this time and they’ve got to bring all their outboard gear, run cables from the heads to outboard gear backstage, then to iso cabs since none of the stage cabs are mic’d, just for a one-off/fan club gig. And some of those amps are on standby.

It just seems completely illogical to me for them to use the same prop back line they’ve been using for 20 years, but instead they’re not props this time and they’ve got to bring all their outboard gear, run cables from the heads to outboard gear backstage, then to iso cabs since none of the stage cabs are mic’d, just for a one-off/fan club gig. And some of those amps are on standby.
You know that’s Metallica . If one day James woke up and said to his tech “I want to play through a real amp tonight” the tech say “yes” and does it in a minute. That’s not hard hm. Sure they don’t use all that you see on stage, but I m pretty sure that the recto near James is working. Maybe the head goes to another way for the pa and the stacks are just his monitor . With a 80/84 set list and special night it was... I remind a gig in the load reload tour where they mimic a stage light destruction and in the end of the gig, and they just put two stack to play old school songs, because that’s more “rock n roll”

Crate? I thought they used ADA MP-1’s.

Man, it sounds like they used an old transistor radio. I assumed Crates because of what I saw of them playing live from videos of the original Focus tour. I'd hate to think MP-1s would ever have been made to sound like the Focus album, as genius as that album is!

Eric Johnson - Plexi with a Butler Tube Driver for leads sort of like a boost with a little extra drive. Fender Twin for the cleans. He really does represent both of those and epitomizes the most widely known sounds of them.

Al Dimeola - Les Paul into a cranked Plexi. Pretty much the epitome of that tone. So many to follow with that same setup, however no one really did this tone with the LP and plexi. I know he used the super distortion pickups to help boost the amp.

Chevelle - Hss Strat / PRS into a boogie Mark IV. They epitomize the high gain boogie tone IMO.

Chevelle - Hss Strat / PRS into a boogie Mark IV. They epitomize the high gain boogie tone IMO.

My wife and I saw them on the tour for the release of La Gargola. I had been a fan since Wonder What's Next, but I never really gave too much attention to their guitar sound beyond, "it's really good, high gain stuff."

It was amazing how massive the guitar tone was, especially given it was just Pete. That forever cemented the Mark IV "sound" in my mind. Before that, 80s/early 90s Metallica was my touchstone for Mark series amps in general. After that night, the Mark IV pretty much belonged to Chevelle for me.

Man, it sounds like they used an old transistor radio. I assumed Crates because of what I saw of them playing live from videos of the original Focus tour. I'd hate to think MP-1s would ever have been made to sound like the Focus album, as genius as that album is!
Oh yeah it's ADA MP-1's. As trebly as the distortion on the album is, that clean sound was legendary with a lot of us, with the ADA chorus.

You know that’s Metallica . If one day James woke up and said to his tech “I want to play through a real amp tonight” the tech say “yes” and does it in a minute. That’s not hard hm. Sure they don’t use all that you see on stage, but I m pretty sure that the recto near James is working. Maybe the head goes to another way for the pa and the stacks are just his monitor . With a 80/84 set list and special night it was... I remind a gig in the load reload tour where they mimic a stage light destruction and in the end of the gig, and they just put two stack to play old school songs, because that’s more “rock n roll”
They had the light break on the "And Justice" tour as well. I think it was during "one".

Back
Top Bottom