Bands that epitomize a certain amp’s sound

This is just a personal take but I always thought God Forbid epitomized the 5150 II / 6505+ sound. Listen to Gone Forever and tell me that isn’t the quintessential sound for that amp; although you could surely name dozens of other bands, that one set the standard for me.

On a more serious note, I don't think you can listen to anyone playing through an AC-30 that is about to melt down without thinking of Brian May.

On a more serious note, I don't think you can listen to anyone playing through an AC-30 that is about to melt down without thinking of Brian May.
+1 - Brian May = Vox AC30 to me - I didn't start playing guitar till my late 40s, but the sound of that amp was marked on my brain in the mid 70s when I go my first (and still favourite) Queen record (Queen II). That middy heavily distorted sound was / is so addictive - Brian made a new sound I'd never heard before from an amp that existed before but never sounding like that, like Tom Scholz did with Marshalls on Boston1 and later incorporating that sound into Rockman gear.

+1 - Brian May = Vox AC30 to me - I didn't start playing guitar till my late 40s, but the sound of that amp was marked on my brain in the mid 70s when I go my first (and still favourite) Queen record (Queen II). That middy heavily distorted sound was / is so addictive - Brian made a new sound I'd never heard before from an amp that existed before but never sounding like that, like Tom Scholz did with Marshalls on Boston1.

I started playing the guitar in 1983 (when I was 14), but my baptism into the world of rock and roll was the Back In Black album. Somebody brought it to school when I was in the sixth grade, and I was hooked. I convinced my mom to buy me my own copy, and I wore that vinyl out! To me, AC'DC will always be the definitive sound of straight ahead rock and roll.

I started playing the guitar in 1983 (when I was 14), but my baptism into the world of rock and roll was the Back In Black album. Somebody brought it to school when I was in the sixth grade, and I was hooked. I convinced my mom to buy me my own copy, and I wore that vinyl out! To me, AC'DC will always be the definitive sound of straight ahead rock and roll.
yessir! - and they never ever wavered from that formula all these years while still amazingly always keeping it fresh and true.

Yngwie - strat + SD into a plexi/JTM style amp - very bitey tone.

Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine, other Mike Varney early artists.. - Rockman into a Fender, mids cranked.

Chris Poland Return to Metalopolis - TS808 into a Mesa Mark V. I will say I have pulled this tone with my PRS (JB+Jazz) and bogner Fish modded shark channel. Just can't get that with the bogfish in the AX3, even modding the heck out of it in there. You get it in droves with the Mark V in the AX3 with a boost.

Marco Ferrigno, Mark Bellas, etc - ts808 into a modded Marshall/JCM800... You can also get this with the HBE, easily.

Gary Hoey - SD into a VHT - or an SD into a Fender champ, modded marshall, or an HBE with V30 cab will do it.

One more - Alice in Chaind Dirt...
Bogner Fish into Marshall EL34 power amp.
The bogfish has this in the AX3 all day long. No boost needed IMO.

I have more I can give. These are definitely signature tones of certain amps IMO. Mostly modded Marshalls though.

James

Last edited:
Yngwie - strat + SD into a plexi/JTM style amp - very bitey tone.

Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine, other Mike Varney early artists.. - Rockman into a Fender, mids cranked.

Chris Poland Return to Metalopolis - TS808 into a Mesa Mark V. I will say I have pulled this tone with my PRS (JB+Jazz) and bogner Fish modded shark channel. Just can't get that with the bogfish in the AX3, even modding the heck out of it in there. You get it in droves with the Mark V in the AX3 with a boost.

Marco Ferrigno, Mark Bellas, etc - ts808 into a modded Marshall/JCM800... You can also get this with the HBE, easily.

Gary Hoey - SD into a VHT - or an SD into a Fender champ, modded marshall, or an HBE with V30 cab will do it.

One more - Alice in Chaind Dirt...
Bogner Fish into Marshall EL34 power amp.
The bogfish has this in the AX3 all day long. No boost needed IMO.

I have more I can give. These are definitely signature tones of certain amps IMO. Mostly modded Marshalls though.

James

I can't believe you mentioned that Chris Poland solo album. I love his playing and his tone. If you haven't already heard it, I highly recommend the eponymous album by his band Damn The Machine. His playing will rip your spine out, and the production is, to me, some of the best I've ever heard for anything progressively minded.

I can't believe you mentioned that Chris Poland solo album. I love his playing and his tone. If you haven't already heard it, I highly recommend the eponymous album by his band Damn The Machine. His playing will rip your spine out, and the production is, to me, some of the best I've ever heard for anything progressively minded.

Totally agree. I have all his solo records, the Damn the Machine stuff is awesome. If you haven't checked out his new Fusion Trio OHM, you should. Chris is one of my most favorite players. I think that comes from his love of Mahavishnu Orchestra (killer fusion group) and trying to get Jan Hammer's smooth keyboard leads on a guitar.

His leads are very vocal and that influenced my playing when I started my solo stuff in the 90s after I left Animosity in '92.

James

Totally agree. I have all his solo records, the Damn the Machine stuff is awesome. If you haven't checked out his new Fusion Trio OHM, you should. Chris is one of my most favorite players. I think that comes from his love of Mahavishnu Orchestra (killer fusion group) and trying to get Jan Hammer's smooth keyboard leads on a guitar.

His leads are very vocal and that influenced my playing when I started my solo stuff in the 90s after I left Animosity in '92.

James

Ah very cool! He is totally amazing. I was into the first Ohm record he recorded too. Damn the Machine actually just released a new an album of unreleased songs that were demos from that period, called Day One. The snippets I heard sounded awesome. Damnthemachine.com is run by David, their singer and other guitarist.

I’ll have to check our your stuff then too! Do you have a link to your discography?

Back
Top Bottom