Bandhelper Bluetooth midi control?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Anyone using Bandhelper Bluetooth midi control? Looking into it for sending changes to a Voice Live since our singer uses both but has challenges (apparently) stepping on buttons:)

If it works ok, we would consider also going to a rack based processor for her vocals.

We don't play to a click or use backing tracks, so wondering how she could send changes mid-song from the iPad?

I use BandHelper to change presets. I mount my phone on my mic stand and have it set up to switch to the preset for each song. Axe Fx II XL plus with the Yamaha adapter. For her you could just make a list of the things she need like dry/reverb/double track and so on then just tap that word and it switches. No idea what voice live is so no idea what you would need? I use band helper in one band and setlistmaker in another band.They both do the same thing in regards to sending midi info. Setup is kind of a pita but once you do it not to big of a deal.

I use BandHelper to change presets. I mount my phone on my mic stand and have it set up to switch to the preset for each song. Axe Fx II XL plus with the Yamaha adapter. For her you could just make a list of the things she need like dry/reverb/double track and so on then just tap that word and it switches. No idea what voice live is so no idea what you would need? I use band helper in one band and setlistmaker in another band.They both do the same thing in regards to sending midi info. Setup is kind of a pita but once you do it not to big of a deal.
Thanks.

The Voice Live is the TC Helicon vocal processor.

I poked around in Bandhelper today and figured out how to send PC and/or CC messages via "midi presets", and then assigning those to songs.

Since you mentioned the Yamaha adapter, I feel good because that is the one I was considering (as well as the Qicco adapter). I assume it's powered by the midi ports?

Yamaha UD-BT01 for bluetooth midi through USB port like for AX8 and Yamaha MD-BT01 for devices that DO have power at the midi port like Axe FX. I have the MD-BT01 one of the cheapest and best investments I've made in years.

Yamaha UD-BT01 for bluetooth midi through USB port like for AX8 and Yamaha MD-BT01 for devices that DO have power at the midi port like Axe FX. I have the MD-BT01 one of the cheapest and best investments I've made in years.

Just to clarify, so the AX8 will NOT work with the MD-BT01? If so, what is the difference in the MIDI implementation on the AX8 vs. the Axe-Fx that prevents the MD-BT01 from working?

[Edit]

Found this on the Wiki;

"The AX8 has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT/THRU ports. It supports "soft" MIDI Thru (MIDI IN > MIDI OUT)."

What does "soft" MIDI mean?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, so the AX8 will NOT work with the MD-BT01? If so, what is the difference in the MIDI implementation on the AX8 vs. the Axe-Fx that prevents the MD-BT01 from working?

[Edit]

Found this on the Wiki;

"The AX8 has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT/THRU ports. It supports "soft" MIDI Thru (MIDI IN > MIDI OUT)."

What does "soft" MIDI mean?

Connection info here is helpful. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FracPad

I think it just a matter of the AX8 doesn't supply power at the midi out port which the MD-BT01 needs to power it. You could make some sort of power injector adapter then you would be able to use it. However I don't know if that power feeding back to the AX8 would hurt it or not. You may be able to get more info on that from Cliff.

The only off the shelf solution that I can find for getting power to the MD-BT01 would be this Midi-Solutions power adapter $60 and you still need a wall wart for it. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

Midi spec page on power: https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/midi-din-electrical-specification

Last edited:
I think it just a matter of the AX8 doesn't supply power at the midi out port which the MD-BT01 needs to power it. You could make some sort of power injector adapter then you would be able to use it. However I don't know if that power feeding back to the AX8 would hurt it or not. You may be able to get more info on that from Cliff.

The only off the shelf solution that I can find for getting power to the MD-BT01 would be this Midi-Solutions power adapter $60 and you still need a wall wart for it. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

Midi spec page on power: https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/midi-din-electrical-specification

Finally got around to trying the MD-BT01 with the AX8 and it works great. The MIDI OUT of the AX8 powers the MD-BT01 with no issues. So now I can control the AX8 wirelessly with Bandhelper.

Anyone using Bandhelper Bluetooth midi control? Looking into it for sending changes to a Voice Live since our singer uses both but has challenges (apparently) stepping on buttons:)

If it works ok, we would consider also going to a rack based processor for her vocals.

We don't play to a click or use backing tracks, so wondering how she could send changes mid-song from the iPad?

I use Bandhelper with 6 Midi Bluetoorh Midi devices and it works great for sending program changes. For our Rehearsal stuff, I hardwire the Fractal to the IPAD (using Roland Midi thing) and then use midi out or thru on the Axe to the Voice Live unit. This has also let me trigger harmonies with a Control Switch on the Axe FC (very cool) .

We played live this weekend and I tried all wireless (Axe , Voice Live 3, GR55). I was able to change presets without issue and was also able to change patches on the GR55 using scenes and a control switch from the FC
(You have to enable MIDI Thru in Bandhelper for this part to work)
. But i ran into a loop on the Voice Live 3 for triggering the harmonies which I'm still investigating.

Net it's a very workable solution I think and when I figure out where the loop is coming from I'll be sure to let you know.

MM

Back
Top Bottom