"Band in a Box" Axe FX In Ear Rig

It's my dream to get a drummer to play a Roland kit and go completely direct. It's like drummers are emotionally attached to their gear or something, not at all like guitarists (oh, hold on...)

The drummer in my new band just bought a Roland kit and made that dream come true for me; it sounds really good, he loves the feel and expression playing it, and, best of all, it has a volume control. We can rehearse for hours and not get fatigued and going all direct will open some doors, gig wise, for us. He will still use the regular kit on certain shows, but I couldn't be happier that he went down that road with the e-kit...I really love that I don't get my ears taken out by a loud snare and strident cymbals anymore. Our rehearsal volume is very comfortable but still loud enough to get the rock vibe...

The drummer in my new band just bought a Roland kit and made that dream come true for me; it sounds really good, he loves the feel and expression playing it, and, best of all, it has a volume control. We can rehearse for hours and not get fatigued and going all direct will open some doors, gig wise, for us. He will still use the regular kit on certain shows, but I couldn't be happier that he went down that road with the e-kit...I really love that I don't get my ears taken out by a loud snare and strident cymbals anymore. Our rehearsal volume is very comfortable but still loud enough to get the rock vibe...

Sounds perfect!

I play mostly pubs with the occasional festival in the UK. It's my dream to get a drummer to play a Roland kit and go completely direct. It's like drummers are emotionally attached to their gear or something, not at all like guitarists (oh, hold on...)

Our drummer rehearses with an eKit but plays acoustic drums for the shows.

Really asking a drummer to switch to an eKit is like us playing a midi guitar. Even the higher end kits just aren't like playing a real kit.

But, I really like playing shows when the drummer is using an eKit. The sound on stage is just so good. I can actually hear and feel the kick better on stage when it's a quaffed sample.

E-drums are great for volume control (silent rehearsing/stage), but that's about all, IMHO.
The dynamic range is so limited, it's not comparable.

E-drums are great for volume control (silent rehearsing/stage), but that's about all, IMHO.

For me its the striking nuances. Complicated ghost notes on the snare and complicated hi hat stroking just can't be done. That is really related to dynamics though I guess too.

I just setup a 'Band in the box' system this weekend.:confused:
IMG_20160906_140821.jpg IMG_20160906_140924.jpg
I just have to add the IEM transmitters in the top spaces, once we get them.

BTW, our drummer is using an electric kit, but with mostly live cymbals and hi-hats. The best of both worlds, for us anyway....;)

The drummer in a band I was in in the early nineties used a Simmons kit just for toms and kick .. it actually worked quite well ... as long as he remembered to load the 'Rock chip' ..... there were some laughs when it's brain unit threw a 'disco' fit

In fact someone recently pointed out to me there's a youtube video clip of us back then .... (no disco mishaps though) I can't remember the place at all but it looks like one of the typical dives we had to play ....

:)

Last edited:

Electronic drums are also awesome for... electronic drum sounds (808/909 kicks and claps). We've got E-pads and triggers around a DW 5-piece for that very purpose.

Back
Top Bottom