Balancing volume/Managing Output Clipping

lpaul626

Inspired
I've been working with 5-6 presets ranging from clean to mild OD to heavy distortion. I've have tweaked them slightly (eq, gain, slight volume adj) and they're similar in volume. I have noticed on a few of the high gain patches (Marsha) that the output clips. My clean is also too low. Do most users control this by adjusting the amp level, the level on the Mix page, or a combination? Can someone also tell me what is normal db setting on the mix page for clean and high gain amps?

Thanks!

There are a few different ways to balance your levels. One way to get close would be to look in the status tab inside the utility menu and get yourself a good base line level with that. The bad part is that clean and heavy patches don't sound the same loudness with metering like that so you'd probably be best to try to match the rest to that by ear. The important thing to me is to get a good solid reference level, match them and then have the output knob available as a single point of adjustment when conditions change.

As for how to adjust the patches themselves I'm a big fan of using the output mixer master level. If I've got a patch sounding right and all that I want changed is the volume I think that this is the safest way to ensure that I don't end up mucking up any gain stages or creating issues if I bypass an effect or something.

An even neater (and much faster way to do this) is to use the IA method where you basically program 2 footswitches, one for inc and one for dec. You can go through your patches one at a time and play them while adjusting the levels by tapping these two footswitches and the changes are saved automatically. Once you do it this way you'll see just how insanely fast you can get your patches matched and it makes a HUGE difference in how good the thing sounds IMHO. I think that there are a lot of people who don't bother to do this and are missing out.

I don't think that using a 'normal' dB setting for each patch is a good way to go about it because in my experience patches can be all over the place depending on how they are made.

There are a few different ways to balance your levels. One way to get close would be to look in the status tab inside the utility menu and get yourself a good base line level with that. The bad part is that clean and heavy patches don't sound the same loudness with metering like that so you'd probably be best to try to match the rest to that by ear. The important thing to me is to get a good solid reference level, match them and then have the output knob available as a single point of adjustment when conditions change.

As for how to adjust the patches themselves I'm a big fan of using the output mixer master level. If I've got a patch sounding right and all that I want changed is the volume I think that this is the safest way to ensure that I don't end up mucking up any gain stages or creating issues if I bypass an effect or something.

An even neater (and much faster way to do this) is to use the IA method where you basically program 2 footswitches, one for inc and one for dec. You can go through your patches one at a time and play them while adjusting the levels by tapping these two footswitches and the changes are saved automatically. Once you do it this way you'll see just how insanely fast you can get your patches matched and it makes a HUGE difference in how good the thing sounds IMHO. I think that there are a lot of people who don't bother to do this and are missing out.

I don't think that using a 'normal' dB setting for each patch is a good way to go about it because in my experience patches can be all over the place depending on how they are made.

Thanks! That's an interesting approach. Hadn't thought of that. That was also my thought on adjusting the level on the "Mix" page (i.e., not impacting the patch).

Set your clean presets first as they tend to need and use the most headroom. Then set your distorted presets to obtain a even transition between presets.

It adjusts the main output of the mixer so it should work for both outputs if using mirroring. If you are using the 4CM or an FX loop or anything other than a duplicate output it shouldn't be affected.

I'm not using copy out1 to out2, so that I can run poweramp/cab (without cab sims) on 1 out and FRFR (with cab sims) on the other.

Back
Top Bottom