Bad, Intel, Bad...

We wouldn't need SE if programmers would write good code.

I'm aghast at just how bad a lot of programs are now. Previously I was developing using TI's Code Composer Studio version 8.x. It's no longer supported so "upgraded" to 9.3 64-bit. At first launch it uses over 1GB of memory. 1GB!!! And it leaks terribly so after a few hours it's using 2GB! I figured out the cause of the leak and alerted TI but they don't seem to care.

Google Chrome routinely uses over 1GB of memory for all it's various processes and services. It's a freakin' web browser and it gobbles memory and CPU like no tomorrow.

The new version of Matlab uses over 1GB and is noticeably slower than the version from 2006 I was using.

The new version of OrCad uses copious memory and is noticeably slower than the old version.

I long for the days of C++ and COM or whatever it was called when programs were lean and fast. Now everything is Java and bloated and slow and no one seems to care. It's all about adding features that no one will use at the expense of core functionality and performance.

We need a fundamental paradigm change.
So true
We need every Java or C# or other bullshit language to be forbiden... mandatory C++ everywhere

Chrome is C++ though

Last edited:
We wouldn't need SE if programmers would write good code.

I'm aghast at just how bad a lot of programs are now. Previously I was developing using TI's Code Composer Studio version 8.x. It's no longer supported so "upgraded" to 9.3 64-bit. At first launch it uses over 1GB of memory. 1GB!!! And it leaks terribly so after a few hours it's using 2GB! I figured out the cause of the leak and alerted TI but they don't seem to care.

Google Chrome routinely uses over 1GB of memory for all it's various processes and services. It's a freakin' web browser and it gobbles memory and CPU like no tomorrow.

The new version of Matlab uses over 1GB and is noticeably slower than the version from 2006 I was using.

The new version of OrCad uses copious memory and is noticeably slower than the old version.

I long for the days of C++ and COM or whatever it was called when programs were lean and fast. Now everything is Java and bloated and slow and no one seems to care. It's all about adding features that no one will use at the expense of core functionality and performance.

We need a fundamental paradigm change.

It's funny, I remember when we used to write our C/C++ conditional statements knowing that the Intel CPUs would always predict branches will be taken. So you'd write your if statements so that your mainline execution is always in the true path and other/error patterns were always on false paths. Intel changed that somewhere along the way so it no longer mattered as much. So yeah, we always paid very close attention to the code that was generated.

A web browser gobbles up memory and CPU like crazy because of two main things: 1) there is an expectation that site content is rich with interaction like a native app (so lots of crappy script code) and full of visuals (at 32-bits per pixel) and 2) people don't want to pay for quality content so we have the proliferation of hideously inefficient and resource consuming methods to inject ads. The Fractal home page is pretty lean and mean by today's standards for sure - there's little script, no obnoxious ads, etc. but it still consumes around 30MB of RAM for the pictures - that's 3% of your 1GB.

Writing efficient C++ code has become easier than ever if you really know what you're doing because of advancements in the language and standard libraries. At the same time, writing slow and bloated C++ code has become easier than ever if your don't know what you're doing because of advancements in the language and standard libraries.

Couldn't agree more with this, former pretty full on Assembler/C/C++ programmer here, don't do it in anger anymore.

Occasionally do Java, it's fun etc. - I think the whole temptation is around the easily available open source components.

It's just so easy to stick a load of dependencies in your pom and then these are all packaged (and hence loaded), and so it goes on....

What was the memory usage of the early moon missions? Kids today!

So true
We need every Java or C# or other bullshit language to be forbiden... mandatory C++ everywhere

Chrome is C++ though

Sure C++ can generate more efficient code. That's not a certainty at all though. Poorly chosen data structures and algorithms will always hurt more than language choice.

Also, there really is a huge difference in writing code that's meant to run on an end-user/consumer device than what runs on a web server. I wrote a lot of C# code when I was on the TFS/AzureDevOps team. I would never, ever want to write web service code in C++ - particularly given that we had to interact with pluggable authentication services, SQL server in various configurations, etc. It would be dramatically more difficult to write in C++ than it was in C# (and presumably Java) and it would be dramatically more difficult to service, troubleshoot, and maintain if you did it in C++. That's a world where you are I/O constrained, not CPU constrained.

Load “*” ,8,1

“run”

just a small sample of my technical ability in case you “coders” need some help :p

Look into running a pi-hole on your network. You get visibility on all telemetry for each device across the network and can block whatever you like if it is not already on the blocklists

Can confirm. I did some hiring a couple of years back when I ran engineering at a startup, and most of today's "computer science" graduates can't tell a pointer from a hole in the ground. We did find some amazing folks eventually, including fresh grads. Turns out talent is out there if you pay well, which was the case with us, but isn't the case with most startups. Basically everyone who is competent at C++ gets removed from the job market by the likes of Google (~50% of their codebase is C++) and Facebook. Not so much Microsoft anymore, since pay kind of sucks there in comparison.

If you would write an OS I swear you'd turn the world upside on it's head

That's been done already. BeOS was a nerd's wet dream. It was fast, efficient, innovative, had wonderful features baked in and was designed for scalability like nothing had been before. It flopped. Hard. And that was about the time that Steve Jobs went back to Apple, so the PC operating system ecosystem hadn't fossilized nearly as much as it has now.

CPU hardware bug discovery is only going to increase. As a former chip designer there, I've seen first hand the corners that need to be cut to ship products and not get clobbered by AMD & ARM.

The fear of the famous FDIV bug is not present in most of the current employees.

Back
Top Bottom