"Bad Checksum" during update to 7.18

nateb

Inspired
Currently using an Motu ultralight connected to the Ultra. Tried to update with the latest and the .190 editor and I get a Bad Checksum that pops up on the Axe-FX display at the end of the update. Anyone got any ideas?

-Nate

- Try downloading the f/w from Fractal again
- Try a different tool (SendSX, MidiOx)
- Try slowing down the transfer

Had a bad checksum on a previous update so I slowed it down to around 80% and it worked.
This time got the error at 80% and 75% so I sped it up to 98% and it worked...go figure.

Hmmm... still no success. Tried with a different software and slowed it down 3 different levels. Could this be a cabling issue?

Gonna try it with a MAC to see if it makes a difference on a different system.

-Nate

Bought some new cables and kept the length down a bit (6 footers) unfortuantely, they were monster cables but, it seemed to do the trick and I was able to get updated. Thanks for the help all

-Nate

I keep trying to update from 7.01 to 7.18 with no success. I've tried it with MIDI-OX and Axe-Edit. Two different MIDI cables I know work fine. I've tried messing with the buffer sizes and all that. No matter what I do, when it gets to the end of the transfer it says 'Bad Checksum'.

Any ideas? :(

Some of the known issues:
Even when your system loaded the drivers for your midiunit and shows that it's ready to use, you may not have the right ones. Usual drivers might not be prepared for long extended sys-ex messages. You may search a better one.

Not all drives do it with all versions of systems, even Microsofts service packs updates can confuse your drivers.

Always use the same slot for your usb-cable, dont vary! (This is no bullshit!)

Better dont use USB-hubs. Not every hub is an external unit, USB connectors on your PC can be hubs too. The connectors directly on your motherboard (on the back of your computer or where mouse and keyboard are connected?) should be no hub.

USB-cable must be short, midi-cables can be long, not vice versa.

And if all that is done and it still sucks?
No idea!

Hope you get it!
Bernd

I still can't get this to f'in work. I've tried seemingly everything. Every sysex program known to man, 5 different midi cables, endless settings, when Fractal Support suggested Vista 64 was problematic I tried it on my Windows XP (32 bit) machine. Nothing works.

What can I do here? :( I have a MOTU 828 MK3 and the midi works just fine for other uses.

joegold said:
Try a different MIDI interface.

I guess I'll have to. That's pretty inconvenient though, the MOTU 828 MK3 should work fine and Fractal didn't say there were any issues with it. I've tried seemingly everything. Axe-Edit works fine with the MOTU, it's just this one freakin task.

The only other item I could try is my M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller/Keyboard, which I am atm, but running into some issues.

Ugh :(

Ahh, it works. It was the MOTU 828 MK3's interface afterall. When I used my Keyboard's midi interface it worked like a charm. Sweet \m/

I used MOTU 828mk3 with default settings to update to 7.18 with no problems (Win XP, SP3)

knoll said:
I used MOTU 828mk3 with default settings to update to 7.18 with no problems (Win XP, SP3)

Win XP SP3 is what I have. Not sure what's up. I tried everything imaginable, and changed out every component until the last remaining constant was the MOTU and low and behold that ended up being the problem. Who knows what random driver conflict I could have that you dont. *shrug*

At least it works now thanks to the M-Audio Axiom 61 ;)

The Axe Palace said:
joegold said:
Try a different MIDI interface.

I guess I'll have to. That's pretty inconvenient though, the MOTU 828 MK3 should work fine and Fractal didn't say there were any issues with it. I've tried seemingly everything. Axe-Edit works fine with the MOTU, it's just this one freakin task.

The only other item I could try is my M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller/Keyboard, which I am atm, but running into some issues.

Ugh :(

I've also had it happen that simply shutting down and restarting my Mac has resolved a MIDI transmission problem between the puter and the Axe. Reloads the drivers I guess.
It's a simple thing but the last thing I think nowadays with Macs being more stable than they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom