Backup Amp or not?

I use an Amplifier. If my Axe8 died I could switch it over in a minute. I play through a CLR and house P.A.... Plug and Play!

I have been strictly an FAS guy since 2007. (My Ultra and now my AX8). The challenge for me with regard to a b/u has always been keeping it small and simple. Having said that, you may consider a used Line 6 500HDX. You can easily get a few presets you like. In terms of setup, use, etc. it's similar in concept to the AX8, and you can get one new for $499.00. My band mate plays one. Something to consider.

Line 6 Helix is my backup because it plays well with my JTV-59 Variax guitar. Although Helix has brought Line 6 into the high end modeling marketplace, it doesn't sound as good as the AX8 IMHO. Fractal is still the creme de la creme of amp modeling! I haven't missed my Axe-Fx II since I started using the AX8 live. Time to sell the big rig...

Digging up this thread because we are starting to gig more and I was getting tired of lugging the old pedalboard and amp to every gig - even if I could leave in car in safe areas, it has been a pain. But unless some things sell soon I can't afford a second AX8. Also, the more I think about real backups....it is prob a good idea to have various options in case of failure...I mean, what if the ASM12 breaks? Still have the PA....so that would be ok. If AX8 breaks? pedals better than direct...might see about a Tech21 blonde or something to put on pedalboard so I could still go direct. Hmm.

For the Police/Sting stuff we do I can get away with a drive, flanger/chorus, and delay. Sigh.

I had a failure years ago and agree that you need to have a backup. Prior to the AX8, I would use a Boss GT100 and a GP10 synth almost exclusively for alt-tunings and guitar models. When I got the AX8, I sold the GT100 but the GP10 still gets used. Been a long time fan of Boss and Roland gear and I can dial in decent tones and have presets for all tunes. I can even use the GP10 with the 1/4" input when I don't need to use the 13 pin. I also have 2 JBL EON610s to cover power up and with 2 inputs on each, it would not be hard to reconfigure.

Love to have a second AX8 as a backup but think that the added added features of the GP10 serve me well for now.
That AX8 sounds so good, it's hard to switch back to the GP10 when needed though.

....I play a lot of gigs where it's just me on electric and a singer (about 10-15 times a month)...I find the Ax8 to be perfect for this...when gigging with a drummer (3-5 times a month), I prefer my Lazy J20 and pedals (Lazy J Cruiser Deuce, Source Audio Nemesis Delay, Chasetone Secret Preamp)...sometimes I bring the Ax8 as a backup...either rig sounds great...one day, I will bring the Ax8 with the full band...

Back
Top Bottom