Backtracking For MFC-101

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I posted this on the wrong forum a while back, with no replies, so maybe I'm the only person who thinks this is a good idea; I'm not sure. All feedback welcome.

I'd love to see back-tracking implemented on the MFC-101. Below, I've put some detail about how it works as well as how I think it can be incorporated into the MFC-101 as-is. The way I've used it, it has 3 powerful benefits:

(1) Regular backtracking: toggle between the last 2 patches, regardless of where they are on the pedalboard - even if they're in different banks!

(2) Optional CC backtracking as well, so you can back-track to the last patch iucluding any IAs you've changed

(3) If you use the patch reset feature, you can use the BACK footswitch to toggle between a raw patch and the same patch with multiple IA changes

HOW IT WORKS

Backtracking is handy for short lead breaks to go back to your previous patch, and indispensible for toggling between 2 sounds (you know, those songs with a short lick at the end of every line). The BACK footswitch toggles between the last 2 patches used.

Here are some examples:

A simple example first, let’s say you make these selections in order:
- Patch #1
- Patch #5
- Patch #2
- Patch #3
- BACK goes back to Patch #2 (the previous patch used before the current patch #3)
- BACK goes back to Patch #3 (the previous patch used before the current patch #2)
- BACK goes back to Patch #2 (the previous patch used before the current patch #3)
Note how repeated use of BACK toggles between the last 2 patches used, it doesn’t go back through patch history.

Now something more interesting. Let’s say you have the IA backtrack option ON as well as PC (patch) backtracking:
- Patch #2
- Chorus ON
- Delay ON
- Tap / Tap (to set tap tempo)
- Patch #3
- BACK goes back to Patch #2 with Chorus and Delay ON as well as tap tempo set
- BACK goes back to Patch #3
With IA backtracking on, the previous patch is recalled with any IA changes you’ve made!

And one final example of even more power, again with the IA backtrack option ON as well as PC backtracking. Also with options set so that a second press of the current patch recalls the saved patch:
- Patch #2
- Chorus ON
- Delay ON
- Tap / Tap (to set tap tempo)
- Patch #2 (reverts to saved patch: turns Chorus and Delay off, resets tap tempo)
- BACK goes back to Patch #2 with Chorus and Delay ON as well as tap tempo set
- BACK goes back to Patch #2 with Chorus and Delay OFF and tap tempo reset
This example shows how repeated use of BACK can toggle between a raw patch and the same patch with IA changes.

IMPLEMENTATION IN MFC-101

Here’s an idea on how it could be implemented. There needs to be 2 config options: PC backtracking off/on and IA backtracking off/on. If PC backtracking is off, then the MFC-101 works as it does now, end of story.

With PC backtracking on, the EDIT footswitch is used for back tracking. Edit functions are still available by holding down EDIT for 2 seconds (maybe configurable?) BACK really needs a dedicated footswitch, because re-pressing the current patch already has other functions (resetting the current patch or optionally recalling the global patch).

The CC backtracking option simply sends CC messages for any of the previous patch’s IA states that do not match the initial/saved state. All of this is ridiculously easy to program: When changing patches either by PATCH or BACK footswitch, the current patch and IA states and tap tempo are saved. The BACK footswitch swaps current and saved settings.

I’m not sure how the MFC-101 displays the current patch, but my implementation flashes the current patch LED if it’s not from the current bank (due to BACK being pressed, or after choosing another bank).

I would be really interested in the Backtracking feature. Another way to implement would be to have a 3 option on "Global Patch"...i.e. Off, Global, or Backtracking. I would rather setup Backtracking on my MFC and pressing the same switch would revert to the previous patch...this seems more nature to me and I could bounce between any 2 patches...Currently, I'm using the Ultra and 2 Amp Patches in order to work like this. However, it makes setting up patches more difficult and uses more IA swtiches.

thx for the feedback, favance

lots of different ways to implement this, certainly no right or wrong way ;) I've seen it done that way, even on my own footcontroller.

My preference though is for a dedicated BACK switch, because it allows the patch reset feature as well as to ability to use BACK to bounce between a preset patch and the same patch with IA changes (my example #3 above). Also, you don't need to find the current patch footswitch, because the BACK footswitch is always in the same place, although that's just me not wanting to think about too much while I play :lol:

I did read the post in the last location.
It is a useful and convenient feature.
If memory serves - this is how the Digitech foot controller for my SGS 2120 worked.
I liked that feature very much.
:cool:
+1

Really cool!
I also agree on the usage of the EDIT button. As it is the only button you do not need at runtime, it would not be a problem to keep it pressed for 2 sec to get to the edit mode. At runtime the single press could be used to unleash the full power of the MFC (for this and/or other features).
The other option is to use the reveal (double press ?).

I'm asking myself what Cliff is currently thinking about its MFC (may be he regrets he made it), as we're all making suggestions (and somebody is also slightly disappointed) for the new toy :lol: .
For his Axe-Fx the fact that few know non-linear systems saved him for discussing implementation strategies, here for the MFC he is under bomb assault from many, many sides, including the intensity of the LEDs...
I'm sure the product will evolve, and we all expect it evolves as the Axe-Fx did in these years, but each time I propose something I also think I already have a device that, as is, is worth the price I paid (what we pay for is described in the manual)

I'm not familiar with MIDI pedalboards, this forum, as usual, is a mine of ideas, GM Arts's one is really cool !!!

Really great idea! My vc-12 pedal for my vox ad120 amp has a recall button that takes you back to the last patch you were on. Very cool feature indeed.

Back
Top Bottom