Backtracking between Scenes?

I know the lack of seamless Preset changes has been discussed many times, but most of the threads are a bit old and I am hoping that some of this has been taken care of in firmware updates since those old threads.......

I posted this in the MFC forum, but did not get a response.
Perhaps I should have included more info or perhaps I should have posted it here first.

Here is my scenario:
I use an FX-8 with a Rivera S-120 combo amp. It's an old stereo tube combo amp that sounds incredible.
I would like to step up the the Axe FX II but am nervous about it........
I don't use amp mods or sims, at least not currently.......

I love the FX in the FX-8, but am missing one simple thing.
It does not have Backtracking or a Bounce Back feature that would allow me to step on the same Scene button after a solo and go back to the previous Scene.

For instance, is there a way to do this while keeping delay trails and not having drop outs/transient noise issues......
I am singing along and the solo part of the song arrives. I press Scene 5 for a solo in a song
When the solo is over, I press the same button to return to the previous scene
This is very handy when playing and singing live.

I know the MFC can do "Backtracking," where the same button can toggle between the current and the previous Preset.
If there is even the tiniest drop in sound or glitch, I cannot use this function.
I play and sing in a 3 piece band. Everything is noticeable.

Is it possible to toggle or Backtrack between Scenes instead of between Presets?
I have been reading a lot of older threads that mention ways to lessen the drop out between Presets.
I will most likely not be using amp sims for live performance, only the FX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I apologize if there is a newer thread that addresses this and would greatly appreciate a link to it.
I keep going back to my old Digitech GSP1101 because it has seamless Patch changes and a "Bounce-Back" feature. I like the FX in the FX-8 a lot more though! I'd like to make a permanent transition to Fractal if it's possible.

Thanks and have a great day.
Andy

Well, there sort of is.......

You can program a switch to alternate between two particular scenes. I have the 'toe' switches on two of my expression pedals set up this way. One toggles back and forth between scenes #1 (main rhythm) and #2 (alternate rhythm). and the other toggles back and forth between scenes #1 (main rhythm) and #4 (Solo).

You can also use the existing 'Scene 1/2' option. Just copy your solo tone to scene 2.

Setup your bottom row...'Scene 1/2'...'Scene 3'....'Scene 4'...'Scene 5'???

Well, there sort of is.......

You can program a switch to alternate between two particular scenes. I have the 'toe' switches on two of my expression pedals set up this way. One toggles back and forth between scenes #1 (main rhythm) and #2 (alternate rhythm). and the other toggles back and forth between scenes #1 (main rhythm) and #4 (Solo).

You can also use the existing 'Scene 1/2' option. Just copy your solo tone to scene 2.

Setup your bottom row...'Scene 1/2'...'Scene 3'....'Scene 4'...'Scene 5'???
Good to know... I've not heard of anyone doing that. How do you set that up? This is an MFC feature, not AX8?

Good to know... I've not heard of anyone doing that. How do you set that up? This is an MFC feature, not AX8?
Yeah, it's an MFC (Midi) feature. The OP was specifically asking about the Axe-Fx II and the MFC-101....

I just set the switches to use CC#34 (scene select).

One switch has an 'off' value of '0' (scene 1), and an 'on' value of '1' (scene 2).
The other has an 'off' value of '0' (scene 1), and an 'on' value of '3' (scene 4).

I've setup a couple for some clients as a momentary switch for quick in and out solo pieces. Step and hold the switch, play away.... release the switch, and you back.

Yeah, it's an MFC (Midi) feature. The OP was specifically asking about the Axe-Fx II and the MFC-101....

I just set the switches to use CC#34 (scene select).

One switch has an 'off' value of '0' (scene 1), and an 'on' value of '1' (scene 2).
The other has an 'off' value of '0' (scene 1), and an 'on' value of '3' (scene 4).

I've setup a couple for some clients as a momentary switch for quick in and out solo pieces. Step and hold the switch, play away.... release the switch, and you back.
Oh, duh!

So the switch is a "Generic" midi function and not an "axe Fx" function, right?

I will probably explore this because I used to do something similar with my Gordius Big Little Giant.

Thanks!

Thank you guys!
This is definitely some food for thought.....

I think the unfortunate thing for me is that I may be on a clean Scene or a Dirty Scene and switch to a Lead Scene.
I don't use the same 2 Scenes that I would toggle between for every song.

Maybe the best way to look at it is:
I create 5 or more Scenes
I set up Button 1 to toggle between my Clean and a Clean lead
I set up Button 2 to toggle between my gritty sound and a gritty lead sound
I set up Button 3 to toggle between my angry sound and angry lead sound

Now......
What happens if I step on Button 1 but have not used that button yet in the song?
Does it toggle between the 2 Scenes that are assigned to it?
- For instance, if I used the Clean Scene during the last song but have not used this button for the current song.
- Then.....I press Button 1.......Does it go to my Clean sound automatically or does it go to the Clean Lead sound because that is what is next in the Toggle?

Matt from Fractal just sent this to me in an email. Looks like what I want to do is possible!

"Hi Andy,

The only thing I can think of on the FX8 that would do this is the SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE function. You could set up the solos to be SCENE 2 and then return to SCENE 1 with a tap of the same button. The AX8 does this too.

As you note, there is in fact a way to set up "backtrack" on the MFC-101. It's designed for PRESETS, but the Axe-Fx II does have a mode where program change messages can be re-mapped as scenes. This is exactly how I designed the rigs for Steve Vai and Devin Townsend. It requires some experimentation, but I think it would work with scenes too.

--
Matt"

Matt from Fractal just sent this to me in an email. Looks like what I want to do is possible!

"Hi Andy,

The only thing I can think of on the FX8 that would do this is the SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE function. You could set up the solos to be SCENE 2 and then return to SCENE 1 with a tap of the same button. The AX8 does this too.

As you note, there is in fact a way to set up "backtrack" on the MFC-101. It's designed for PRESETS, but the Axe-Fx II does have a mode where program change messages can be re-mapped as scenes. This is exactly how I designed the rigs for Steve Vai and Devin Townsend. It requires some experimentation, but I think it would work with scenes too.

--
Matt"
Yeah... But preset mapping is a bit ugly and not very flexible. But good idea!

And.......there go my dreams of world domination.......
If the Preset changes can be seamless, with delay spillover, using multiple similar presets with FX status turned on or off depending on my needs for each preset, I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.
I don't really need amp sims, just stellar FX.
It's too bad the FX8 can't do Backtracking....It's really all that I need.

I know that the 'back-track' thing is what you are used to (so was I). But either way, you have to hit a switch to go to the solo scene, and hit a switch to go back?

The FX8 preset switching may be faster than the AX8?

I know that the 'back-track' thing is what you are used to (so was I). But either way, you have to hit a switch to go to the solo scene, and hit a switch to go back?

The FX8 preset switching may be faster than the AX8?

Yes, definitely, but....
When you sing and play guitar in a 3 piece, every thing is noticeable.
My old Digitech GSP1101 has seamless patch changes with delay spillovers and a "Bounce-Back" feature on the footswtich that does what Backtracking does.
This makes things so much easier! When the solo is over, I can go right back into whatever rhythm tone I had before just by pushing the same button that my foot is still on.
For this reason alone, I use the Digitech much more than the FX8. The FX8 has some much better effects in it though, which is why I was wondering if I could do the same thing with the Axe FX.
I could sell the Digitech and the FX8 and only have to come up with a little bit of cash to cover the rest of an Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom