Backline/Backup Amp Katana, Mustang, Blackstar, or??

plasmatic

I'd like a combo amp 1x12 or 2x12 (stereo preferred) and I've been considering the Katana 100, older Fender Mustang III/IV, or maybe even one of the Blackstar ID core 100/150 (since they have stereo effects loops) or the ID260TVP. I used to own a Mustang IV and it has a stereo effects loop and I can get one used locally for pretty cheap. They are on the heavier side though. I see a few guys that have used the Mustang III or the Katana combos or heads that have had good luck. Any suggestions on any of these amps or ones I may not have mentioned? If you use any of these already and have a video you could share that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have tried the Katana and it is one of the best values in amps IMO. I owned one. However, I ended up with a different backup setup. I have a Boss Gt-1 I bought used for 100 bucks and can use it through my powered speaker like the AX8.
The advantage of the GT1 is that you are not limited to 3 effects at a time like the Katana. Also it has 99 user preset locations vs Katanas 4 or 8 depending which model you get.
Finally, it fits in a gig bag.
The best thing though, is I have not needed to use it since the AX8 has not let me down. When I use it is by choice at home, setting it up just in case and as my practice platform (it has headphone out etc).
Hope this helps.

I have a Katana 100 that rarely gets played but I'm sure it would suit fine as a backup. It's got a surprisingly good clean channel (the best channel IMO) and somewhat useable gainy tones. Mostly I like it because it's LOUD AS A MOTHER!

I also have a Katana 100 combo as a replacement when I don't want to risk my AX8/CLR on jam gigs where participants might step on or spill something on my #1 rig.
Unfortunately the AX8 has me so spoiled it's quite a compromise using the Katana, but it's decent enough for the job intended.

I also have a Katana 100 combo as a replacement when I don't want to risk my AX8/CLR on jam gigs where participants might step on or spill something on my #1 rig.
Unfortunately the AX8 has me so spoiled it's quite a compromise using the Katana, but it's decent enough for the job intended.

To briefly derail the topic, do you use the high and low pass filters accessible via the software? Without them I really struggle to get gainy tones that aren't either too boomy or harsh.

To briefly derail the topic, do you use the high and low pass filters accessible via the software? Without them I really struggle to get gainy tones that aren't either too boomy or harsh.
I use the software but not the high/low pass filters...haven't needed them to get decent tones.
Katana is not bad, but it's no AX8.

Any of you guys with the Katana ever play your AX8 through it? Straight in the guitar input or effects loop? Sounds like it's a good option in general, I'm not looking for it to equal the AX8, just have a good amp and maybe use the AX8 through it at times.

These cheaper amps sound like ass IMHO. Bring a good dirt and delay pedal and call it good. They have and will get you through most any gig.

Back
Top Bottom