Backing up the MFC-101

jgparker59

Inspired
I have midi out of MFC-101 to midi in on the AXE II to USB out of AXE II to USB in on my computer running Win 7. Okay, I read the manual and I hit Dump Sysex on the MFC-101. Now, 1). how do I set up the AXE II to use as a midi interface to my computer and 2). how do I set up Midi-OX to receive the dump and save it to my computer?:?

Hi
Unfortunately, you can't. You need to dump the information with a midi cable. Axe FX does NOT support MFC-101 Dump thru the USB.

Have fun
Dan

Im in the same boat as you trying to figure how to backup MFC, no one here seems to be able or willing to explain it. Frustrated................guess I will to go take a computer class just to update this thing!

Not sure how Midi Ox works but if it receives midi and runs USB to your computer,
Then just hook the MFC directly to Midi Ox and send the dump. I use Sysex Librarian to receive the dump on my Mac.

As far as I know, you cannot use the Axe II's USB protocol to send data backups from your MFC to your computer.

Last edited:
Would you explain in detail how you do this? I'd appreciate it.

MFC-101 creating a backup/dump:

1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
4. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-IN to the MFC-101's MIDI-OUT with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
5. Power on the Axe-FX II.
6. Power on the MFC-101 by using the MFC-101 adapter for power or use the ethernet-cable for power.
7. Change the MFC port from expansion to MIDI
8. Go to the DUMP-mode at your MFC-101, but do not press enter yet!
9. Start MIDI-OX (or any other sysex-utility), make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex – Configure (the very last option has a checkbox for “save dump directly to file”). Check that box and hit ok.
10. Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the syx-file.
11. Go back to the MFC and hit enter; wait until the dump has completely finished (another dialogue box then appears that says how many bytes have been received).
12. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
13. Remove the MIDI cable.
14. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
15. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.
16. Change the MFC port from MIDI to expansion and/or any other changes you have made.
17. Hopefully; you are good to go!

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm attempting to back up my MFC using Snoize sysex librarian on my Mac. Snoize works fine for sending firmware updates, but I can figure out how to record a data dump from the MFC. For the record, I've got the MFC connected via a midi cable and I'm using a Presonus Firestudio Mobile for my interface which is connected to my Mac via Firewire. As mentioned, it's worked like a charm sending firmware updates to the MFC. Now I just need to figure out how to get the data moving the opposite direction for a backup.

You'll hit Record Many in SyseEx Lib, make sure you select the source from the drop down.

Somewhere in the end of the Setup menu is something like Send bulk dump or similar. Do that.

The numbers will stop changing in Sysex Lib, then hit stop. That's your MFC file.

Thanks Boys. Operator error. When I clicked 'Record Many' in Snoize I was expecting to see some progress on the progress bar. As it turned out, there was no visual indicator on the progress bar but in fact, it was recording the sysex output file. I kept an eye on the progress of the LCD screen on the MFC and when it was done, I checked 'contents' in the librarian and found that there was data.

I followed up with a factory reset on the MFC and then restored my backup. That cured about 95% of my woes with the MFC after my recent firmware update. I've still got a few wrinkles to iron out but it seems to be working correctly now for the most part.

Thanks for the help.

MFC-101 creating a backup/dump:

1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
4. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-IN to the MFC-101's MIDI-OUT with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
5. Power on the Axe-FX II.
6. Power on the MFC-101 by using the MFC-101 adapter for power or use the ethernet-cable for power.
7. Change the MFC port from expansion to MIDI
8. Go to the DUMP-mode at your MFC-101, but do not press enter yet!
9. Start MIDI-OX (or any other sysex-utility), make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex – Configure (the very last option has a checkbox for “save dump directly to file”). Check that box and hit ok.
10. Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the syx-file.
11. Go back to the MFC and hit enter; wait until the dump has completely finished (another dialogue box then appears that says how many bytes have been received).
12. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
13. Remove the MIDI cable.
14. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
15. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.
16. Change the MFC port from MIDI to expansion and/or any other changes you have made.
17. Hopefully; you are good to go!

Good luck.

has the MFC Backup procedure changed with the release of Axe Edit 3 and the new Fractal Bot?

AE isn't involved. Fractal-Bot actually displays instructions on how to back up the MFC.

AE isn't involved. Fractal-Bot actually displays instructions on how to back up the MFC.

Thanks Yek!

- I tried Fractal-Bot (it's great, btw!) and it gave great instructions, but didn't mention if I need to have the MFC hooked to the Axe via midi to the Axe FX II - currently I have it hooked up via ethernet cable, and after the MFC showed that it sent 'presets I, II, IA Switches, sets and songs', fractal-bot shows 'no data was received' (and during the procedure, the progress bar didn't show anything coming in either...)

I'll try a power reset and see if that helps.....

Last edited:
Hi Folks

I have a similar problem in that I can not restore a backup to the MFC. I am using V2.18 and Fractal Bot. I can do a dump from the MFC no problem, all the data looks correct (when viewed in Fedit). When I try to do a restore it hangs on the Presets 1 screen. I am using a Yamaha UX96 interface that I have used before, I used it to load the 2.18 firmware no problem. I have tried MidiOx as well but same result every time.
Any ideas? I have tried uploading and then immediately trying to restore without touching the file or anything.
Cheers S

Hi Folks

I have a similar problem in that I can not restore a backup to the MFC. I am using V2.18 and Fractal Bot. I can do a dump from the MFC no problem, all the data looks correct (when viewed in Fedit). When I try to do a restore it hangs on the Presets 1 screen. I am using a Yamaha UX96 interface that I have used before, I used it to load the 2.18 firmware no problem. I have tried MidiOx as well but same result every time.
Any ideas? I have tried uploading and then immediately trying to restore without touching the file or anything.
Cheers S

I cannot confirm the procedure with fractal-bot, but I have performed backups and restores a lot of times with Midi-OX. Perhaps you could try different settings?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom