Backing up the MFC-101

Hi Folks

I have a similar problem in that I can not restore a backup to the MFC. I am using V2.18 and Fractal Bot. I can do a dump from the MFC no problem, all the data looks correct (when viewed in Fedit). When I try to do a restore it hangs on the Presets 1 screen. I am using a Yamaha UX96 interface that I have used before, I used it to load the 2.18 firmware no problem. I have tried MidiOx as well but same result every time.
Any ideas? I have tried uploading and then immediately trying to restore without touching the file or anything.
Cheers S

PM me your dump file and I will take a glance at it to make sure it's not corrupt. Which version of Fedit did you look at the file with and if you are using the V2 beta please also let me know if Windows or Mac.

I put together a little utility called FADumpCheck this morning to help validate dump files created by the Axe-FX II and MFC since see a large number of posts and inquiries about issues with dump files.

1) Dump file is too small, bytes are being dropped when receiving the dump
2) Dump file is too large, something is sending extra midi messages that are being captured as part of the dump
3) Dump file is correct size but midi message are out of order? One person sent me a dump file that Fedit could not open, when looked at the file the last two messages were at the beginning of the file... some type of midi buffering issue?

Anyhow... this is just a quick basic utility to check the dumps are the correct size... this evening will be adding the logic to actually validate the headers are what they are suppose to be.

For now you can download from here:
Click Here for Windows version
Click Here for Mac version

Software is free, everyone should have good backups! When I publish officially to the eJozSoftware website later tonight there will be instructions on how to make a voluntary donation if you find the utility useful.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I put together a little utility called FADumpCheck this morning to help validate dump files created by the Axe-FX II and MFC since see a large number of posts and inquiries about issues with dump files.

1) Dump file is too small, bytes are being dropped when receiving the dump
2) Dump file is too large, something is sending extra midi messages that are being captured as part of the dump
3) Dump file is correct size but midi message are out of order? One person sent me a dump file that Fedit could not open, when looked at the file the last two messages were at the beginning of the file... some type of midi buffering issue?

Anyhow... this is just a quick basic utility to check the dumps are the correct size... this evening will be adding the logic to actually validate the headers are what they are suppose to be.

For now you can download from here:
Click Here for Windows version
Click Here for Mac version

Software is free, everyone should have good backups! When I publish officially to the eJozSoftware website later tonight there will be instructions on how to make a voluntary donation if you find the utility useful.

Cheers!

It's nice to see that you take such effort in creating this software.

MFC-101 creating a backup/dump:

1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
4. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-IN to the MFC-101's MIDI-OUT with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
5. Power on the Axe-FX II.
6. Power on the MFC-101 by using the MFC-101 adapter for power or use the ethernet-cable for power.
7. Change the MFC port from expansion to MIDI
8. Go to the DUMP-mode at your MFC-101, but do not press enter yet!
9. Start MIDI-OX (or any other sysex-utility), make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex – Configure (the very last option has a checkbox for “save dump directly to file”). Check that box and hit ok.
10. Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the syx-file.
11. Go back to the MFC and hit enter; wait until the dump has completely finished (another dialogue box then appears that says how many bytes have been received).
12. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
13. Remove the MIDI cable.
14. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
15. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.
16. Change the MFC port from MIDI to expansion and/or any other changes you have made.
17. Hopefully; you are good to go!

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the very detailed steps. It worked great for me. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom