Backing tracks

malcolm86

Hi everyone,

Can I ask what everyone is doing in terms of backing tracks for their video uploads on the Fractal Forum?

Are you producing your own or using any other apps to remove guitar from the original tracks so you can play over them? I will be using an iPhone for producing the videos.

Also what would the best apps be for combining music/and video on an iPhone.

I’m just wondering as I don’t want to break any copyright or social media rules…rock n roll I know ;)

Many thanks
Neil

I am not doing any video work, but I do a lot of backing tracks with Reaper. Great app that is almost sort of free.

+1 for Moises. I think it works great, or good enough.

I do love the idea of creating them - but time just doesn’t allow for that right now so Moises is a great alternative.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Moises sounds like the one then. With 2 kids around the house time is limited and just want something quick and easy. Although I would love to map out something in EZDrummer and logic but would rather focus on spending time learning the guitar parts….

For those of you who are more familiar with Moises, I'm having trouble removing the guitars without removing the keyboard tracks. It appears that all guitars and keys are perceived to be on one single "track" in Moise's analysis... Granted, I only tested two classic rock songs, so it's a very small sample size, but am I missing something? The concept is uber cool and it seems to do a really good job to isolate out the vocals and drums, so it's a bit unexpected that it doesn't distinguish guitars from keyboards.

Any tips or ideas?

For those of you who are more familiar with Moises, I'm having trouble removing the guitars without removing the keyboard tracks. It appears that all guitars and keys are perceived to be on one single "track" in Moise's analysis... Granted, I only tested two classic rock songs, so it's a very small sample size, but am I missing something? The concept is uber cool and it seems to do a really good job to isolate out the vocals and drums, so it's a bit unexpected that it doesn't distinguish guitars from keyboards.

Any tips or ideas?
Hmm. I haven’t experienced this with Moises. When you select how you want the tracks separated are you picking the option that has vocals, drums, bass, guitar, and other? Only thing I can think of but this is what I pick every time and have never lost the keys.

Last edited:
You can’t use Spotify. The free version only allows four tracks, which might be why guitars and other are merged. I only use free version but am thinking of subscribing to allow more uploads per month.

Any tips or ideas?
You have to subscribe to fix this. By default with free you get 4 tracks. Vocals, bass, drums and “other”. It lumps keyboards and guitars under that. When you pay you get a 5th track for just guitar.

With the 5th track I’m finding that it will put guitar solos under other and keep the guitar track for just rhythm.

In Moises can you not use Spotify or YouTube content ? Apologies if this is obvious
Do you mean can you directly process a song from Spotify or Youtube? No, you must download the recording first, then upload that to Moises.ai.

As for separating guitars from other similarly sounding instruments, try both the 5 track option with guitar/other and the option with piano/other. Sometimes one works better than the other. But, you have to keep your expectations realistic. The state of the art for this kind of track separation technology is quite good, but it's not magic. That's why my first choice is always karaoke-version.com, and I'll only resort to track separation if I can't find what I'm looking for there. If there were more hours in the day, I'd make the backing tracks myself, but alas there are only 24.

Do you mean can you directly process a song from Spotify or Youtube? No, you must download the recording first, then upload that to Moises.ai.

As for separating guitars from other similarly sounding instruments, try both the 5 track option with guitar/other and the option with piano/other. Sometimes one works better than the other. But, you have to keep your expectations realistic. The state of the art for this kind of track separation technology is quite good, but it's not magic. That's why my first choice is always karaoke-version.com, and I'll only resort to track separation if I can't find what I'm looking for there. If there were more hours in the day, I'd make the backing tracks myself, but alas there are only 24.
Again, apologies how do you download the song first for processing with Moises.ai as non of the urls are working

Back
Top Bottom