Backing tracks (minus lead guitar)

dsouza

Experienced
Where can I get backing tracks, minus lead guitar , for every U2 song ever made?
I am looking to Jam along with my AX8.

Cheers
Adrian

have you tried karaokeversion.co.uk ??
Ive used this site for many years now. You can download the multitrack versions, and then just drop out the guitar parts.
The tracks are £1.99 each

If you write U2 backing tracks on google and YouTube ( try Gdoublecutaway) you’ll find a lot of options! Have fun!

have you tried karaokeversion.co.uk ??
Ive used this site for many years now. You can download the multitrack versions, and then just drop out the guitar parts.
The tracks are £1.99 each
They're nice but I don't find they do justice to the original U2 song creations. I was hoping for an exact duplicate of a u2 live/studio recorded song without vocals and lead guitar, so I can keep my timing on point, playing only the guitar.

They're nice but I don't find they do justice to the original U2 song creations. I was hoping for an exact duplicate of a u2 live/studio recorded song without vocals and lead guitar, so I can keep my timing on point, playing only the guitar.

If you really want a copy of the originals tracks, maybe the only way is to ask their manager Guy Oseary and negotiate it with him, as they are not publicly available. You can reach him at his Twitter or his Instagram

Otherwise, www.karaoke-version.com is not too bad. They use to be spot-on-time with the originals, and you can open the tracks on the DAW and re-record the ones that you do not like, to your taste

Last edited:
I like pulling songs from Songsterr, converting them to MIDI using TuxGuitar, then import them into my DAW and mess with plug-ins to create the backing tracks. And in a lot of cases I can find an isolated vocal track on YouTube.

I like pulling songs from Songsterr, converting them to MIDI using TuxGuitar, then import them into my DAW and mess with plug-ins to create the backing tracks. And in a lot of cases I can find an isolated vocal track on YouTube.

With most backing tracks from karaoke-version, I've found that if you google for a free MIDI file and select the best available version, it normally fits with their version. As you've said, the MIDI is ideal for replacing parts with VST instruments, make arrangements or add extras. It makes a big change, specially the drums

It requires some process:
  1. Download all the separate tracks from karaoke-version
  2. Open the MIDI track at the DAW (so the tempo will match)
  3. Drag the audio files to the DAW
  4. Align the start of the audio tracks with the MIDI track
  5. There will probably be some tempo misalignment. Use the "set tempo from audio" function of your DAW to synchronize audio and MIDI (at Cakewalk you can simply drag the click audio track to the time ruler)

With most backing tracks from karaoke-version, I've found that if you google for a free MIDI file and select the best available version, it normally fits with their version. As you've said, the MIDI is ideal for replacing parts with VST instruments, make arrangements or add extras. It makes a big change, specially the drums

5. There will probably be some tempo misalignment. Use the "set tempo from audio" function of your DAW to synchronize audio and MIDI (at Cakewalk you can simply drag the click audio track to the time ruler)

Yeah, it takes time but I really love the production challenge behind it to get it to sound like the original. Teaches me a lot about compression, EQing and drum sounds.

If I were to take the drum track from Karaoke-version, can create a parallel drum track (for example using the MIDI track)? Then I can add the drummer feature in Logic/DAW and don't have to worry about copyright issues if I were to put on YouTube?

If I were to take the drum track from Karaoke-version, can create a parallel drum track (for example using the MIDI track)? Then I can add the drummer feature in Logic/DAW and don't have to worry about copyright issues if I were to put on YouTube?
The karaoke-version tracks are not the original tracks, unlike Guitar Hero-style backing tracks. So, in theory you should be ok simply using the backing track, without adding your own drum track. In practice, you never know what triggers a block with youtube.

The karaoke-version tracks are not the original tracks, unlike Guitar Hero-style backing tracks. So, in theory you should be ok simply using the backing track, without adding your own drum track. In practice, you never know what triggers a block with youtube.
thanks. Recently Karaoke-version is charging/licensing their tracks for use on YT. Hence I was asking about what @Piing was suggesting with MIDI track solution.

I've never had copyright issues uploading covers to YouTube, no matter how I created the backing tracks (Karaoke version, from downloaded MIDIs, recorded by myself, or a mixture of all these). I've only had problems with SoundCloud. I once uploaded a short demo playing only the short Synth intro of Asia "Only Time will Tell", just few notes played with guitar through the Axe-FX, and they banned it and sent me an intimidating message about lawsuits. And I didn't even used the names "Asia" or the song title, just "Axe-FX Synth demo". It was their detection algorithm.

Last edited:
I've never had copyright issues uploading covers to YouTube, no matter how I created the backing tracks (Karaoke version, from downloaded MIDIs, recorded by myself, or a mixture of all these). I've only had problems with SoundCloud. I once uploaded a short demo playing only the short Synth intro of Asia "Only Time will Tell", just few notes played with guitar and the Axe-FX, and they banned it and sent me an intimidating message about lawsuits
Thanks Ping. In your original post. Was your suggestion to take the drum track from Karaoke-version, and then create a parallel drum track (for example using the MIDI track)? I can then add the drummer feature in Logic/DAW for the MIDI track...I was thinking. Its difficult to find drum track if I want to cover a song!

Thanks Ping. In your original post. Was your suggestion to take the drum track from Karaoke-version, and then create a parallel drum track (for example using the MIDI track)? I can then add the drummer feature in Logic/DAW for the MIDI track...I was thinking. Its difficult to find drum track if I want to cover a song!

Yes. The sounds from a good VSTi are usually of better quality than the mp3 tracks from Karaoke Version. So, if I find a MIDI that matches the song, I mute the drums and the instruments tracks and replace them with MIDI tracks using Superior Drummer, Omnisphere, Kontakt, or any other VSTi. That also gives you the ability to edit the notes and to personalize the instruments.

Last edited:
Moises app! They have made some changes to the app so you cant upload from Youtube any longer and you have to pay to get all of the advantages but it's an option.

You could also try RipX Deep Remix

^^^THIS!

I use both Moises (free version) and RipX.
Base RipX version allows some manual clean up and potentially add back a rhythm guitar but it's tedious work.

To get the Youtube rip or a streamed rip I use my Fractal.
(other solutions in this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/youtube-converter.190739/ )
  • play the video or streaming music with audio out on computer set to the Fractal/USB
  • make sure Fractal's 'Main Input Source' is set to USB and not Analog (IN 1)
  • create a patch that just connects from IN to OUT
  • as audio input on the computer again set to Fractal/USB
  • record with whatever you have to record audio... I use GarageBand or QuickTime on the Mac

Then use the rip in Moises or RipX and add the separated tracks back into GarageBand to mix as you please.

Back
Top Bottom