Backing Track Block

TarzanRocks

Does anyone know if there is talk of Fractal creating a Backing Track Block? For what I do, it would be nice to add such a block to a preset, import a WAV (or MP3), and direct it's output to any of the FXiii's output devices. Ideally, it would have a trim option, and you can run it into an equalizer or other block before the output if you needed to based on the quality/volume level of the track. It would be great if the playback could be triggered from a configurable button on the FC-12. Right now I play backing tracks with a BOSS RC-30 (looper), but it is not MIDI controllable. Maybe this can be an enhancement to the Looper Block? Thanks...

That sounds like a very useful feature, but off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing a request for that before.

That said, the memory constraints on the AxeFX and especially the FM3 are such that you'd probably be unhappy with the results. You'd be lucky to squeeze a single song into the AxeFX. You'd probably be better off if you played the audio from your phone (which has plenty of room for an entire set list), used midi to control the playback, and routed the audio to the AxeFX III or PA for mixing with your guitar. I'm pretty sure Set List Maker combined with an audio/midi interface for your phone would allow you to remotely control the playback of a setlist of backing tracks.

Look into Voicemeeter Potato. Great audio routing app. I blend mp3 audio, AxeFx output, and browser audio all the time. It also has a built in tape recorder for recording the blend in wav or mp3 format (maybe others). Not as good as a built in Audio Player block but maybe the next best thing.

Check Loopy or L7, basically unlimited storage from your phone, up to I think 12 synced loops of any length, midi control etc. basically like a Boss Rc505 in software for $4.99

Does anyone know if there is talk of Fractal creating a Backing Track Block? For what I do, it would be nice to add such a block to a preset, import a WAV (or MP3), and direct it's output to any of the FXiii's output devices. Ideally, it would have a trim option, and you can run it into an equalizer or other block before the output if you needed to based on the quality/volume level of the track. It would be great if the playback could be triggered from a configurable button on the FC-12. Right now I play backing tracks with a BOSS RC-30 (looper), but it is not MIDI controllable. Maybe this can be an enhancement to the Looper Block? Thanks...

I've taken a similar approach with the BOSS RC-3, but I upgraded to a BOSS RC-10R, which is still small enough and midi compatible. I use it with my FM3 currently, but no doubt it will definitely work with the AXE III.

I just through a midi block in the preset and control the presets, start and stop via midi block with the scenes. Mostly I set the sample in the RC-10R to one-shot but could use the cc in the midi block to stop the sample/loop.

The BOSS RC-5 would work well too, it's even smaller with midi capability. I'm kinda wishing I went with that option instead. But if you want the beats and rhythm section too, the RC-10R is the way to go.

I think that's your best bet for an immediate workable midi solution. I really wouldn’t see Fractal adding anything like this anytime soon. I imagine they would need to add an option for external memory storage to pull this off. But I'll leave that to the armchair steak-head engineers to argue about.

You'll need to set up the BOSS unit with which cc you'd like to use for "start" and "stop", so it's really up to you. I chose 6 and 7.

Here's an example of a scene selecting preset 2 of the BOSS unit (midi offset is by 1) and the backing track start is set to cc 6.

1618709542758.png

As mentioned, I normally let the backing track play out as a single-shot, but here you can see the next scene that stops the backing track if that's your desire, the cc is set to 7. It could even be thought of as a panic kill switch, which is nice to have for false starts.

1618709616040.png

I too waited a while for a good viable and simple compact midi solution, so I hope this helps you. Also, a lot more can be done with the midi options, but this covers my simplistic needs.

Good luck!

I've taken a similar approach with the BOSS RC-3, but I upgraded to a BOSS RC-10R, which is still small enough and midi compatible. I use it with my FM3 currently, but no doubt it will definitely work with the AXE III.

I just through a midi block in the preset and control the presets, start and stop via midi block with the scenes. Mostly I set the sample in the RC-10R to one-shot but could use the cc in the midi block to stop the sample/loop.

The BOSS RC-5 would work well too, it's even smaller with midi capability. I'm kinda wishing I went with that option instead. But if you want the beats and rhythm section too, the RC-10R is the way to go.

I think that's your best bet for an immediate workable midi solution. I really wouldn’t see Fractal adding anything like this anytime soon. I imagine they would need to add an option for external memory storage to pull this off. But I'll leave that to the armchair steak-head engineers to argue about.

You'll need to set up the BOSS unit with which cc you'd like to use for "start" and "stop", so it's really up to you. I chose 6 and 7.

Here's an example of a scene selecting preset 2 of the BOSS unit (midi offset is by 1) and the backing track start is set to cc 6.

View attachment 81917

As mentioned, I normally let the backing track play out as a single-shot, but here you can see the next scene that stops the backing track if that's your desire, the cc is set to 7. It could even be thought of as a panic kill switch, which is nice to have for false starts.

View attachment 81918

I too waited a while for a good viable and simple compact midi solution, so I hope this helps you. Also, a lot more can be done with the midi options, but this covers my simplistic needs.

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing this. This is what I was thinking I need to do. Being able to start an stop the track when desired is the key for my situation. Thanks again!

I use a separate input for the track audio and trigger with the midi block scene change, using BandHelper on an iPhone. iPhone is hardwired for the audio and bluetooth for the midi command. Think you would need to do control switch midi to start and stop a song mid stream if you wanted to do it within one scene. Or just have two of the same scene's one to start and one to stop.

Never have gotten my head around control switch midi. And yes there have been requests for an audio player block in the past. I would think there would be licensing fees to be payed to some audio player patent for that to happen and the added storage hit is also an issue. Who knows maybe in the future we will see that feature with a separate USB port for a memory stick with your audio on it. While we are at it might as well use that USB porter for firmwares and backups.

Last edited:
What would be VERY cool about this is if there was a corresponding automation track that made the necessary changes on your AxeFX at just the right time while it’s playing the backing track!
Actions like turning on a boost during the solo or enabling and disabling delay or anything else you would typically need to do with your foot controller could now be recorded into the “automation feature” of the backing track.
You play along with the backing track one time with ‘record enabled’, and it records everything you do into an ‘automation track’ which would be tied to the timeline of the backing track.
Every time you play a backing track it would be like having a roadie off stage controlling your rig!!!

That, would be bad ass...

Last edited:
What would be VERY cool about this is if there was a corresponding automation track that made the necessary changes on your AxeFX at just the right time while it’s playing the backing track!
Actions like turning on a boost during the solo or enabling and disabling delay or anything else you would typically need to do with your foot controller could now be recorded into the “automation feature” of the backing track.
You play along with the backing track one time with ‘record enabled’, and it records everything you do into an ‘automation track’ which would be tied to the timeline of the backing track.
Every time you play a backing track it would be like having a roadie off stage controlling your rig!!!

That, would be bad ass...
Many, if not most, touring bands do this routinely with midi tracks and a click track in a DAW. If you’re using a midi controller, you can create the midi track by recording the button presses of your controller.

Many, if not most, touring bands do this routinely with midi tracks and a click track in a DAW. If you’re using a midi controller, you can create the midi track by recording the button presses of your controller.
Yep, agreed, and I considered mentioning that this could be done outside the box with a separate system running on a laptop. I think it would see Much greater adoption if it was done in the box!

Bandhelper does automation. Not real easy to program but it works. Haven't played with it in a couple years so I don't know if any improvements have been made.
Yes, I don’t think anything would be easier than the approach I mentioned above built right into the AxeFX. It would bring this ability into the hands of the weekend warrior. 😁👍🏻

+1 on the overall concept here.
Understood that it might be impossible with the current setup of the AXE-FX. But it seems at least possible using external memory in the future. And over on the FM3, there is an as-of-yet unassigned USB port . . .

I went through this a while ago. I use a lot of samples and tracks in different kinds of band scenarios. I wanted to be able to trigger them from the Axe to minimize button steps, and other complexity. And I didn't want to have to use a computer on stage!

I tried all kind of looper pedals, and you can make them work. But it's clunky and you have to remember which sample is loaded in which slot. It's a real PITA.

But I did eventually find a solution that works pretty robustly. I use an Android tablet running Set Maker Pro. It is connected to the AXE's midi through an M-One USB-MIDI dongle (having MIDI over USB would be a HUGE help!). This allows me to use my AXE scenes to trigger samples using the midi block.

The tablet's headphone jack is NOT gig-worthy. So, I have a "pro" Bluetooth receiver in my rack connected to Ch3 input. In my presets, I route this directly to Ch3's output (giving me a buffered output with a volume control) that goes to FOH. But I also route this to Ch1's output (through a volume block) to mix it in with my FRFR for practicing.

I went through this a while ago. I use a lot of samples and tracks in different kinds of band scenarios. I wanted to be able to trigger them from the Axe to minimize button steps, and other complexity. And I didn't want to have to use a computer on stage!

I tried all kind of looper pedals, and you can make them work. But it's clunky and you have to remember which sample is loaded in which slot. It's a real PITA.

But I did eventually find a solution that works pretty robustly. I use an Android tablet running Set Maker Pro. It is connected to the AXE's midi through an M-One USB-MIDI dongle (having MIDI over USB would be a HUGE help!). This allows me to use my AXE scenes to trigger samples using the midi block.

The tablet's headphone jack is NOT gig-worthy. So, I have a "pro" Bluetooth receiver in my rack connected to Ch3 input. In my presets, I route this directly to Ch3's output (giving me a buffered output with a volume control) that goes to FOH. But I also route this to Ch1's output (through a volume block) to mix it in with my FRFR for practicing.
This sounds like a great solution, and I'll check it out. I don't want to use a computer either; seems like radical overkill. Thanks for this - I'm going to check out the Set Maker Pro app.

Most embedded products like the Axe-Fx don't have hard drives and therefore do not have enough storage for this sort of thing.
Thanks for the consideration. Just seems to be a huge gap in the market for a graceful solution to this, but maybe that's because the market for this is just not that big. :) If it used a USB memory card or something as the "hard drive", but I understand that the USB is used for other critical needs. Anyway, thanks again. Mutha Goose proposed a working solution I can work with.

Most embedded products like the Axe-Fx don't have hard drives and therefore do not have enough storage for this sort of thing.
I can't say how remarkably fantastic it is to have the owner of a company weigh in on potential future product development, even if it's just to say something isn't possible.

But Cliff, since the AXE-FX and FM3 have USB connectivity, is there any scenario down the road where using external memory might be possible, either for this idea or others? Or are there other barriers that prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom