Backing Track Block?

EG 2006

Inspired
Just wondering what method folks are using for playing along with backing tracks. Is it possible to add a block containing a backing track into a preset? Or do you have to run the backing track separately through a DAW or even YouTube? Back in my anaolgue rig days I used to use a Beatbuddy which would sync with my Strymon pedals - other times I would use a Digitech Trio band creator and get all sorts of cool jams going on. Are there any tricks within the Axe FX 3 to get me along this path?

Thanks guys. Yep, I'm sure there are plenty of ways of running an external piece of gear in but was wondering if you could use something like the LOOPER block to load up a backing track? I only want it for jamming at home and prefer not to buy more gear.

Thanks guys. Yep, I'm sure there are plenty of ways of running an external piece of gear in but was wondering if you could use something like the LOOPER block to load up a backing track? I only want it for jamming at home and prefer not to buy more gear.
The looper block can only store 60 seconds.
There is no way to run any backing tracks natively.
Though that would be cool.
The FM3 has an USB flash drive input. Maybe they could use that for backing track mp3+MIDI reading. That would be really cool.

If you have a computer, a usb cable, connect and enjoy.

Or you can plug in a smartphone and use that to play audio tracks....

Old iPhone for example can prove to be a great media player for backing tracks, and with the awesome routing on the III it’s super easy to mix in a backing track

We have a hybrid band that plays to a backing track. We go to the studio and record drums and bass (sometimes some keys) and play 2 live guitars and vocals to that track. We use Showbuddy software on a MacBook Pro to trigger lights and presets on 2 Axe's, X32 mixer and fog machine. I carry the laptop home and can practice anytime to these tracks. I also load the back track into a Logic X project and MIDI create a track to trigger my Axe.

We can then turn off the PA and rely on our earbuds only to record isolated tracks of our live parts for analysis and/or capture any live bliss for a finished product.

The looper block can only store 60 seconds.
There is no way to run any backing tracks natively.
Though that would be cool.
The FM3 has an USB flash drive input. Maybe they could use that for backing track mp3+MIDI reading. That would be really cool.
Indeed, that would be cool. The TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme (floor vocal FX processor with looper and guitar fx) does this. During rehearsal you can play your backing track (or just click track) via USB and record your footswitch presses along with the track, and it saves them, with timing, so that during playback/performance, it does all your vocal and guitar FX switching for you with the playback. It would be cool if the FM3 and/or AFX3 could handle this, but I wonder how many people would use it, since the development effort veers off a bit from the main purpose of the product...

Or you can plug in a smartphone and use that to play audio tracks....

Old iPhone for example can prove to be a great media player for backing tracks, and with the awesome routing on the III it’s super easy to mix in a backing track
If it wasn't for the MIDI from the Cymatic LP-Player, I'd just go with a really old school MP3 player lol. I only use two outputs anyway (Mono backing track + mono metronome). They just work. They play music. No extra bs. What else do ya want it to do? Cost - 23 cents.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-C...331541?hash=item5d8d9550d5:g:nIAAAOSwgG5bpVfg

Could get one with a screen for a few bucks more.

And if you are into "Arts and crafts", you can place it inside a foot pedal box, changing those buttons to momentary footswitches. Perfect little device for stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
One nice thing about the smartphone is you can use apps that allow looping of parts, speeding up or slowing down the tempo etc, so a bit better feature set overall, ability to load up a drum machine app instead of just a backing track, metronome etc

Basic MP3 certainly does the job too, but most folks probably have an older phone laying around that can still do some pretty useful stuff

If you have a computer, a usb cable, connect and enjoy.
Thanks Paranoid but you could you elaborate further? I am running a PC and yup, Axe Edit via USB. At the moment I just run YouTube backing tracks and mix the audio volumes with a Mackie Studio Monitor Controller. Is there a more intelligent way of doing this? I would love to be able to load an MP3 drum track into a preset for example. I am thinking this is not possible so I might register it as a Wish List item. Imagine if Axe FX 3 could also eliminate external gear for beats and backing tracks :) Thanks again.

Although I realize that this is prob not possible with the current hardware, being able to run a stereo audio file with an accompanying midi file with cc's for bypass and external controllers would be amazing for my needs. I have used the cymatic audio devices and a laptop in the past but if I could get that functionality by plugging in a thumbdrive that would be a huuuuuge value to me.

iPhone>input3>GEQ>Output2
I like the idea of this setup ∞Fractals. What interface (cables, boxes, etc.) between the iPhone and input3 are you using? I normally use my laptop, 8TB Western Digital external hard (housing a massive iTunes Library) drive and USB cable to play along with iTunes, You Tube and backing tracks. I would like to avoid dragging those devices and cables around and just use a simple interconnection between the iPhone and input3.

I like the idea of this setup ∞Fractals. What interface (cables, boxes, etc.) between the iPhone and input3 are you using? I normally use my laptop, 8TB Western Digital external hard (housing a massive iTunes Library) drive and USB cable to play along with iTunes, You Tube and backing tracks. I would like to avoid dragging those devices and cables around and just use a simple interconnection between the iPhone and input3.

I use a TRS cable to stereo split into Input3. Super simple. I run Spotify and YouTube, plus any other apps that run on an iphone4.

Gave my 6s to my son ... and now that Sapple took out the headphone jack on my Xr ... not pleased. I use it for remote control of the 4.

Back
Top Bottom