Background noise?

Jono Bacon

Inspired
Hi Everyone,

I have an odd issue. When I switch to factory preset 227 (Bond...James Bond), I get lot of static when I am not playing, but also you can hear it while I am playing too. Example

As another example, on factory preset 229 (Screaming Plexi 3) this is what it sounds like when I don't play anything but I just wave my plugged in guitar around a little:

Both examples have my studio monitors (although have the same issue on headphones) and is audio recorded via USB direct into Cubase (no post processing). On another factory preset, 228 (Zamfir), I hear also hear a little background noise.

Any idea why this might be happening? Is this normal? Is it because they are presets with high gain? Should I still hear the static even while playing?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Unplug your guitar cord from your Axe II. I'll bet it goes away. :)

The Axe FX III, if I'm not mistaking, is set to have a lower gate threshold than the Axe FX II... so whereas the Axe 2 might've seem noiseless, it was actually the gate closing up. If you want, go into your layout and click on INPUT, and just pull the gate threshold until you don't hear the noise.

The Axe FX III, if I'm not mistaking, is set to have a lower gate threshold than the Axe FX II... so whereas the Axe 2 might've seem noiseless, it was actually the gate closing up. If you want, go into your layout and click on INPUT, and just pull the gate threshold until you don't hear the noise.

I can definitely use the gate to reduce the noise when not playing. I guess where I am concerned is:

* I can hear some static noise behind the actual playing (see the first example).
* In the second example, when I wave around my guitar with headphones on I get a lot of static noise (I thought this only happened when speakers were on as they provide the feedback).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Thanks, Cliff. Do you know if there is a way to prevent this? I am usually in front of my computer when I am recording.

Get a better shielded computer, better shielded guitar, use humbucker pickups, etc. A lot of times it comes from the monitor so you can try turning off the monitor when recording.

I have this same issue in my home studio. It only goes away when my guitar is positioned in a very small sweet spot. It's not the Axe, it's the environment.

I've tried turning off everything except Axe-FX, changing to LED bulbs (From CFL). Only next step is to get a qualified electrician and even then I'm not sure it can be resolved within my budget.

Probably too many electrical wires, etc running underground in my sub-division.

Very frustrating. If you find a fix, let me know.

I have this same issue in my home studio. It only goes away when my guitar is positioned in a very small sweet spot. It's not the Axe, it's the environment.

I've tried turning off everything except Axe-FX, changing to LED bulbs (From CFL). Only next step is to get a qualified electrician and even then I'm not sure it can be resolved within my budget.

Probably too many electrical wires, etc running underground in my sub-division.

Very frustrating. If you find a fix, let me know.

It's not really a fix... it's just really bad unfiltered noisy electricity. And I agree, it is frustrating.

I gig a lot with the Axe FX II and AX8 and it totally depends on the club. Some places the noise is unprecedented, others it's totally quiet as expected.

In fact, one gig I heard (between songs) the air conditioner unit actually stopped and like magic, so did the noise (no surprise there).

Refrigerator units, neon lights, computer monitors, etc... so many factors can effect the noise floor.

To be fair, you would get this with any amplifier... so this is not unique to FAS, or any indication of defect. Noise; It's the bane of every guitar players already challenged life. =:·)

Good luck!

Or your light dimmer, or your Wi-Fi router, or whatever is transmitting the noise. Better yet, find out what’s generating the noise and turn it off.

Totally agree but sometimes easier said than done. I have yet to be able identify the source of my EFI issue.

Or your light dimmer, or your Wi-Fi router, or whatever is transmitting the noise. Better yet, find out what’s generating the noise and turn it off.

My MAC magic wireless mouse
You can hear it when you move or scroll
I moved the Axe and plugged in mouse and it was better

Hi Everyone,

What is strange here is that I didn't notice this much noise with the previous Axe FX III unit I was sent, and it has been plugged into the same area. I am going to take it to a different location and test it.

I would love to hear some practical recommendations on reducing this noise. For example, are there power strips or converters that can "sanitize" the connection to the Axe FX in some way? Are there certain types of monitors that people can use?

My guitar already has humbuckers (which I believe reduces hum), and I get the same issue on my other guitar with EMG humbuckers.

Recommendations are welcome!

Totally agree but sometimes easier said than done. I have yet to be able identify the source of my EFI issue.
Put your guitar on the longest cord that you have. Turn off the noise gate, and move your guitar all over the room, up high and down low, twisting and turning it in different orientations, until you find the place and orientation where the noise is the loudest. There’s a good chance that you will find the source of the noise.

I would love to hear some practical recommendations on reducing this noise. For example, are there power strips or converters that can "sanitize" the connection to the Axe FX in some way?
This is a radiated interference issue, not a “dirty power” issue. In other words, the noise is being radiated through the air, not sent through the power plug. To fix that, you need to do one or more of these things:

1) Shield your guitar’s cavities and pickguard.

2) Find the source of the the difference interference, and move your guitar as far away from it as possible, holding it in a position that reduces the noise,

3) Find the source of the interference, and turn it off.

I think I found the issue - my overhead lights. I switched them off and there was much less noise.

Thanks, everyone!
In for the win!

If those lights are the curly fluorescent kind, swap them out for LEDs. You won’t have to play in the dark. :)

Back
Top Bottom