Background Noise In Brand New Axe-Fx II

ive noticed quite a lot of noise with the XL too, including hiss or buzzing. i have only used it through my computer/monitors so additional noise may be generated further down the signal chain. In my 'real' rig i run a triaxis and that can be noisy but i use a Rocktron Hush Super C which eliminates everything, even when running a TS808 and Morley Wah/Volume up front.
Cliff mentioned how to set the noisegate parameters, but at the death i can wholly recommend the Super C for live use. Its very affordable and with about 3 minutes of playing with the settings, has absolutely no effect on your tone whatsoever, and can be set precisely enough as to eliminate any unwanted or extraneous handling noise without affected sustain, even when running at very high gain settings.

Please read Cliff's post again on page 1. The Axe-Fx only amplifies existing noise.

There's no reason at all to use an external noise gate.

Please read Cliff's post again on page 1. The Axe-Fx only amplifies existing noise.

There's no reason at all to use an external noise gate.

+1 Especially now with the new Intelligent setting. It's as good or better than any external I've used.

+1 Especially now with the new Intelligent setting. It's as good or better than any external I've used.

Yeah, I have to call shenanigans on noise complaints at this FW level. The general RFI in my area is pretty bad, and I'm only a few blocks from a ComEd station (Still waiting on the mutant powers) so who knows whatever crap is floating around in that frequency domain. This contributes to really noisy hi-gain patches. Intelligent noise gate kills it dead, and doesn't kill the tone.

In your Global configuration, there is a global noise gate offset and i have to but mind at minus 5 db and in my presets i play around with my noise gate, depending on the amp I'am using

My story is different.

On good days no preset in the Axe needs noise gate on and it sounds literally fantastic. And no kidding zero, zero zero noise at any gain level with no noise gate. Best sound you ever heard. However, On bad days every preset exact opposite. I mean every preset needs a gate, clean and gain amps all flubby, noisy and lack clarity. We are talking It’s literally unusable when that happens. I’ve even started a session with perfect sound then part way through it goes off the rails. And every preset including the ones it comes with. It’s been this way since I bought it.

I already have a power conditioner, power isolating system, usb power isolating, brand new guitar cables, a DI box. Literally tried it all.

I am planning to try the rear input because it’s possible the front input board flakes seemly randomly.

If that does work you may see it on EBay.

Last edited:
On good days no preset in the Axe needs noise gate on and it sounds literally fantastic. And no kidding zero, zero zero noise at any gain level with no noise gate. Best sound you ever heard. However, On bad days every preset exact opposite. I mean every preset needs a gate, clean and gain amps all flubby, noisy and lack clarity. We are talking It’s literally unusable when that happens...

I already have a power conditioner, power isolating system, usb power isolating, brand new guitar cables, a DI box. Literally tried it all.
What you're describing is almost certainly an issue with electromagnetic interference radiating into your guitar. That's why nothing you've tried has worked. All those devices and cables do their work after the interference has already polluted your signal.

The next time you have a "bad" day, try completely removing your guitar cable altogether, so your guitar isn't plugged in at all. If the noise goes away, the problem is either radiated interference in the air, or band wiring in your guitar. If your guitar's wiring is okay, then hunt down the source of the interference and turn it off.

Well, I found out the problem. It was partially ground loop and electromagnetic field created from Insteon dimmers that use dual mesh technology. There was also some strange Midi noise like a metronome thing. All that gone now.

I turned off the Insteon lights and used plug in lamps. I also separated my power AMP situation from my digital studio situation. It’s been dead silent for two days. It seems it also matters order in which I turn things on. I am still experimenting with that. Presets back to awesome. Crossing figures...

Reactions: Rex
Well, I found out the problem. It was partially ground loop and electromagnetic field created from Insteon dimmers that use dual mesh technology. There was also some strange Midi noise like a metronome thing. All that gone now.

I turned off the Insteon lights and used plug in lamps. I also separated my power AMP situation from my digital studio situation. It’s been dead silent for two days. It seems it also matters order in which I turn things on. I am still experimenting with that. Presets back to awesome. Crossing figures...
Score! Enjoy the silence.

It seems when using axe edit to change presets you can get significant noise as well. As soon as I hit my MFC 101 foot switch axe edit says “pause communications” At that point noise goes away. The noise is there sometimes and sometimes not. But at least I have a workaround.

Back
Top Bottom