Back to the woodshed - Right hand technique

Thanks for the recommendations, that logic behind that stylus pick appeals to me so I have a package on the way. I think I'm getting into bad habits and digging the pick too deep into the strings, that could be a major part of my problem. The vids are great too, all a part of the learning process.

I wish Troy Grady would release his Cracking the Code video. It would be the end to all future shredder and technique guitar videos. Unfortunately years have gone by without an update. At least the video previews for it are on YouTube. Go check them out. Basically he mounts a special high speed camera on all these famous guitar players and records them playing. The video playback is shown in both normal speed and slow motion. Grady was going to analyze the techniques and release his findings but he had never finished the product.

Thanks for the recommendations, that logic behind that stylus pick appeals to me so I have a package on the way. I think I'm getting into bad habits and digging the pick too deep into the strings, that could be a major part of my problem. The vids are great too, all a part of the learning process.

Prepare to be very patient, and practice the exercises in the book exactly the way they say to. The aim is just to brush the strings.

I wish Troy Grady would release his Cracking the Code video. It would be the end to all future shredder and technique guitar videos. Unfortunately years have gone by without an update. At least the video previews for it are on YouTube. Go check them out. Basically he mounts a special high speed camera on all these famous guitar players and records them playing. The video playback is shown in both normal speed and slow motion. Grady was going to analyze the techniques and release his findings but he had never finished the product.

Troy responded to an email from me on October 24th, saying, and I quote:

Troy Grady said:
Thanks for the note -- and for still following the project! :) We'll have an announcement soon, so stay tuned.

I admit that the time since last updates to his site suggest that the project has gone the way of the Dodo, but it seems like he's still working on it occasionally and plans to release "something" at least. I'm looking forward to it.

As for Pebber Brown, I've only skimmed some of his videos, but he seems to invoke a good deal of aggro in both his acolytes and his detractors. His Sarod picking style is very specific and not suited to all kinds of music. It doesn't hurt checking out different approaches, but I've found that most of the players I admire anchor their wrist to the bridge and use a more linear than circular motion, so I'm sticking to that as well. Paul Gilbert is a special example, I've been trying for years to emulate his picking technique, it just doesn't look the same because the extreme length of his bones leads to a certain configuration of joint angles that cannot be sensibly copied by someone with geratly shorter fingers and hand bones, like me...

However, you might find his online school at ArtistWorks Music Campus | ArtistWorks helpful, he teaches all aspects of playing, but his picking technique is explained in quite some detail with high-definition video and you can post a video with specific questions, which he answers with a response video.

so long
Andreas aka Ace

Even though I haven't yet received the stylus pick, I've incorporated some of that thinking into my playing and I have to say that my picking has gotten better in just a short period of time, thanks for all of these recommendations. It's hard to believe I was blind to what I was doing. It's very similar to when I'm having problems with my golf swing, it's usually something very minor that is impacting things in a big way.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Thank you, Ace!!! Online lessons with Paul Gilbert? Holy crap. I might be too star-struck to record the student video to send him.

Thank you, Ace!!! Online lessons with Paul Gilbert? Holy crap. I might be too star-struck to record the student video to send him.

Hehe, I joined the day it opened and have not sent in a video in the 6 months since. But you can also see the Video Exchanges of all other students, and there's also a section with materials he has pre-recorded, so you're getting tons of stuff even if you don't send VEs. He's also participating quite actively on the forums and he's as awesome a guy as he is a guitar player. The price you pay for a 6 month-subscription is definitely ridiculous for what you're getting. If you want to register, use this link: Guitar Lessons | ArtistWorks Music Campus and we BOTH get a free month added to our subscriptions!

so long
Andreas aka Ace

Hehe, I joined the day it opened and have not sent in a video in the 6 months since. But you can also see the Video Exchanges of all other students, and there's also a section with materials he has pre-recorded, so you're getting tons of stuff even if you don't send VEs. He's also participating quite actively on the forums and he's as awesome a guy as he is a guitar player. The price you pay for a 6 month-subscription is definitely ridiculous for what you're getting. If you want to register, use this link: Guitar Lessons | ArtistWorks Music Campus and we BOTH get a free month added to our subscriptions!

so long
Andreas aka Ace

Dang, too late--I already signed up! Yeah, the cost is amazing--like 1/5 of what it would cost to take lessons from a local music store. To me, Paul Gilbert is one of the all-time great virtuosos for even that first Racer X album alone.

I don't mean to hijack this post but... wondering if there are any other recommendations of great online guitar lessons/sites? The Paul Gilbert thing looks amazing... are there others out there?

Back
Top Bottom