Back to Fractal after a long hiatus

Just wanted to say how great it is to be back in the Fractal fold!!

Sold my Ultra a few years ago and moved back to playing tube amps (primarily lower wattage mini heads) and cabs but have always had sellers remorse. I'm a middle aged bedroom player / 80's rock star wannabe that never plays outside the house. Sold the Ultra because I thought it was kind of silly for an amateur like myself pretending to need such a pro level piece of gear. Had to pass the 50 mark to realize that as we get older, need and want become pretty much the same thing.

Needless to say I've been lurking in the forum "for ever" and have been trying to convince myself that leaving was a huge mistake. Finally got off my butt and was about to order an XL+ and MFC when a used (less than one month new) Ax8 came up for sale right in my neighbourhood - BAM, I'm now officially back to being a Fractalite (is that a thing). Haven't had a lot of time to dig in but so far I'm loving it so far!!! Really like the workflow with the pedalboard setup. Happy that Fractal has kept the editing pretty much as it always has been - very intuitive & VERY deep.

I have yet to try it out with a tube amp and guitar cabinet. So far my setup (in the living room driving my wife nuts) is pretty straight forward: Ax8 -> Bryston 3B power Amp -> 2 x Tannoy C10 monitors. I was thinking about picking up a pair of the larger FRFR setups people talk about on the board (eg. CLR NEO, Matrix, JBL, etc) but that would be insane overkill for my use.

Now I have to convince myself to sell the other toys since I can clearly get all the sounds and more that I could get from my current herd of Amps/Cabs. Just not sure I could part with them!

Rodney

Welcome back Mr. Jones. I would not get too attached to your other gear as it adds to the guilt as it just collects dust.

Keep all of it, room for everything. Some guys regret selling stuff so unless you need the cash, variety is the spice of life.

I am a home player also and finally listened to the people on this forum who have been around a while. I have an AX8 with ADAM A5x monitors for my house and I am finally hearing the full potential of AX8. Thought bigger was better but found out that smaller was best in this instance for me. I have a Marshall JVM 50watt that is just sitting in the corner not doing anything and still deciding if I am going to sell it.

Last edited:
Rodney,

I have a similar story. Had an Ultra and sold it several years ago mainly because I did not like all the set up and tear down (I only play at church) but still it was a hassle to weekly set up the Ultra, floor controller, and monitors. I bought a nice Fender Princeton 65 RI and love it. But I did often have sellers remorse, so when I saw the AX8 available I got one. Have had it several months now and love it daily!

It works great with the Princeton as one option. And I still have my FBT monitors which sound great. Ended up buying a Roland JC-40 which is a very clean stereo amp. It has been fun. Still have the Princeton and doubt I will ever sell it, put a nice Celestion Gold speaker in it. But the most fun is noodling with the AX8 - daily. The box has endless tones. And the AXE-EDIT is a hoot.

Welcome back!
~ richard

Another similar story, I sold my Ultra after the G2 release ; though I never regretted it as its amp sims weren't convincing enough and too tricky to get it to sound how I wanted. Now I think the AX8 is what I wanted the Ultra to be and I can ditch my amps with no regret. But not the cabs :eek: If you have a great sounding cab, keep it!

I am a home player also and finally listened to the people on this forum who have been around a while. I have an AX8 with ADAM AX5 monitors for my house and I am finally hearing the full potential of AX8. Thought bigger was better but found out that smaller was best in this instance for me. I have a Marshall JVM 50watt that is just sitting in the corner not doing anything and still deciding if I am going to sell it.
AX8+AX5=AX13? :p

Edit: sorry.. It's AX8 + 2xAX5 = AX18

Keep all of it, room for everything. Some guys regret selling stuff so unless you need the cash, variety is the spice of life.
This! It doesn't have to be one or the other exclusively. I love my new AX8 but I also love using my Suhr Badger 35 and 2 pedalboards and sometimes my Kemper. Variety is good!

Got my AX8 in September and finally decided to start selling the stuff I collected during the past 25 years. Most of it probably junk by todays standards.

Back
Top Bottom