Back to FM3 from FM9......

FM9 for gigs with covers band - the extra controllability is very useful, less tap dancing to get where I need to be.

FM3 for rehearsal & woodshedding, and for gigs with blues-type bands.

I'd take an FM Zero for practice, audio interface, home use kind of thing. It would be so small I could almost clip it to my belt and go to rehearsals with it too. lol

The FM3 is what we can all agree that 'So small, yet so mighty'...
I think many assume it’s the “toy” version of the other units, because it’s smaller and less expensive. Yeah, there were some concessions made due to size, but it’s still got the ability to sound amazing, and the size makes it very portable. The FM3 on a crowded stage is great. I can more easily set it where no one else is going to step on it.

I think many assume it’s the “toy” version of the other units, because it’s smaller and less expensive. Yeah, there were some concessions made due to size, but it’s still got the ability to sound amazing, and the size makes it very portable. The FM3 on a crowded stage is great. I can more easily set it where no one else is going to step on it.
Honestly I regret selling my FM3 because it was in some ways a perfect solution. But 3 Fractals is too many for me, and no regrets owning an FM9.

Honestly I regret selling my FM3 because it was in some ways a perfect solution. But 3 Fractals is too many for me, and no regrets owning an FM9.
My FX3 left the house once, and that was mostly to give some friends a chance to try it at stage volume. The FM9 is usually what I take because it’s somewhat armored on the pedalboard and intimidates people so they stay away. :) The FM3 is so unobtrusive they don’t notice it and I end up worrying about their feet, even when I have the FC6 attached.

My FX3 left the house once, and that was mostly to give some friends a chance to try it at stage volume. The FM9 is usually what I take because it’s somewhat armored on the pedalboard and intimidates people so they stay away. :) The FM3 is so unobtrusive they don’t notice it and I end up worrying about their feet, even when I have the FC6 attached.
I should be more careful with mine since I don't use a pedalboard, but I do a lot of bigger shows and floorspace is a premium. FM9s are beer proof, right? :sweatsmile:

I went back to FM3 after owning FM9 for the form factor. For me, the FM9 goes against what my needs are. I need a portable, yet powerful rig. I had a situation arise where I needed to be gone a few days for work on short notice and I looked at the FM9 attached to a Temple Audio Duo 34 with 2 expression pedals on it and realized, in that moment, that it was not the portable all-in-one solution I sought after when starting my modeling journey.
I'm posting to shame myself here since I've been getting a lot of "likes" on this post. I have recently sold my FM3 and tube amp to go back to, either the FM9 or Axe Fx III, I have yet to decide on which. Ultimately, my desire for an all-in-one, uber-powerful guitar centered solution outweighed my desire for a grab and go option. The FM3 will always be my first love, but I must move on.

I had them both and do think the FM9 is the best device I’ve used overall. But I seldom run out of juice with the FM3 and the smaller form factor just works for me once I got my setup tweaked.
I use the same basic form factor, one pedal plus dual stand-in switches. Which Dunlop are you using though and what are your thoughts on it? Can it be used as either volume or expression? Thanks.

Which Dunlop are you using though and what are your thoughts on it? Can it be used as either volume or expression? Thanks
That looks like the (X) Mini, but we’ll wait for confirmation.

They work great with the Fractals, just hook them up with a TRS cable, set their sweep and go. I have two, and two of Fractal’s EV-2, and the Fractal pedals are a little bigger and feel more substantial. Conversely, the Dunlop pedals fit into a smaller spot in a case or on a board.

That looks like the (X) Mini, but we’ll wait for confirmation.

They work great with the Fractals, just hook them up with a TRS cable, set their sweep and go. I have two, and two of Fractal’s EV-2, and the Fractal pedals are a little bigger and feel more substantial. Conversely, the Dunlop pedals fit into a smaller spot in a case or on a board.
Yes it’s the X Mini. Works great, very smooth action, and small. Once I got use to the travel and action I’m fine using it for most everything.

I sold my FM3 when I was able to purchase an FM9. While the FM9 definitely has more processing power I really could not hear much of any difference in my presets which admittedly are fairly straight forward and mostly of the clean type. The FM9 has a large footprint that is somewhat deceiving in photos of them. The extra footswitches are definitely useful as when you add an external footswitch unit to the FM3 it becomes more or less the same size as the FM9. However now that the FM3 has the turbo version I am thinking again of switching back to it and possibly selling the FM9 as I now mostly play at home. But still on the fence about this.

What I really want is a FM12 with full power of Axe Fx III

Is it weird that as good as the internal footswitches are, I almost want an FM0 with no built in switches and the full power of an AF3?

That's mostly because I don't want to deal with a rack for my uses but would be happy to deal with a smaller controller with more buttons (e.g., mc6 or mc8)....and it would be cool to have seconds of the amp and cab blocks.

Is it weird that as good as the internal footswitches are, I almost want an FM0 with no built in switches and the full power of an AF3?

That's mostly because I don't want to deal with a rack for my uses but would be happy to deal with a smaller controller with more buttons (e.g., mc6 or mc8)....and it would be cool to have seconds of the amp and cab blocks.
Not weird at all. However now that the FM3 MKII Turbo has larger FSW displays it is definitely easier to see what a FS is currently set for. I also have a Paintaudio Midi Captain which has 10 FSWs and 8 banks but no display per FSW. It is out of the box programmed for the FM3 but can easily be custom programmed. To me, what is one of the best features of either the FM3 or FM9 is the Performance Pages which you can tweak amp or customized settings and such with the 5 control knobs on the units in a live setting. Could also do this with a midi knob or slide controller.

Back
Top Bottom