Back to FM3 from FM9......

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Axe Fx III and a FC12 mkII are my main playing out rig. I had a FM9 that I used at home and for rehearsals, but missed the FM3 form factor. Live I like to have it all and have the power of the Axe Fx III. But home and rehearsal, I just want super small and simple so I can spend more time playing and less tweaking or worrying about a bazillion blocks. What I really want is a FM12 with full power of Axe Fx III. Maybe someday.

Form factor +1. When you have equipment that performs at this level, you can make sacrifices for form factor without feeling less than.

For me I like the Axe Fx III being all that and a bag of chips and the FM3 being on the other end. FM9 would be perfect if maybe I was to choose 1. But since I have the flagship, the FM3 is perfect for sitting on desktop and literally throwing in a bag to go to rehearsal.

Used the FM3 with a Mission expression pedal and a 2 button extension box at rehearsal last night. Amazing. Put all in a backpack and was so nice to have a small powerful rig. FM9 was great, but for me, I like this size.
I went back to FM3 after owning FM9 for the form factor. For me, the FM9 goes against what my needs are. I need a portable, yet powerful rig. I had a situation arise where I needed to be gone a few days for work on short notice and I looked at the FM9 attached to a Temple Audio Duo 34 with 2 expression pedals on it and realized, in that moment, that it was not the portable all-in-one solution I sought after when starting my modeling journey.

Used the FM3 with a Mission expression pedal and a 2 button extension box at rehearsal last night. Amazing. Put all in a backpack and was so nice to have a small powerful rig. FM9 was great, but for me, I like this size.
The extra two buttons on the external switch does provide that quick and effective flexibility that make the FM3, Exp Pedal, and external switch a great combination.

My fully stuffed presets are below 77% CPU on the FM3. After swapping the too small Mosky dual switch for the more stable Boss FS-7 I am 100% satisfied with the product. The FC-6 stays most of the time at home under the desk.
It was a good decision to quit the invitation for the FM9.

My fully stuffed presets are below 77% CPU on the FM3. After swapping the too small Mosky dual switch for the more stable Boss FS-7 I am 100% satisfied with the product. The FC-6 stays most of the time at home under the desk.
It was a good decision to quit the invitation for the FM9.
What do you like about the Boss 2 button over the other?

I recently started using my fm3 again over the fm9 for the same reason the form factor. Just wish I had a bit more cpu since I had to remove one block from my kitchen sink fm9 patch but I'll live with it. It's killer to throw the fm3 and ev2 in a tiny bookbag and go. I got the hotone aux switch for two extra switches and out the door.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone having buyer's remorse with the FM9. I really enjoy each of the units for different reasons.
No regret whatsoever. The FM9 is the perfect size/function combination for me, and I wouldn’t want less. But I’m glad there are multiple sizes available to meet everyone’s needs, and that even the smaller ones can be expanded incrementally to meet specific performance requirements. It’s a true pro system.

Back
Top Bottom