B9 Organ Machine. Can the Axefx do this?

Fishman Triple play controller is $399 plus the cost for whatever synth modules or vst's for your laptop or tablet you want to use for sounds.

The EHX B9 runs about $220.

It all depends upon the amount of complexity and dollars you want to sink into kit.

Guitar pedals tend to hold their value pretty well on the resale market.

Synth modules and VST's have not so much luck holding their value on the resale market.

Nope, we don't have poliphony yet.

This topic has come up before. The EX B9 isn't polyphonic either so it's really a question of how good the Algos are and your effect building capabilities are with what is in the Axe.

I like the EHX demo better :mrgreen

When I want a B3, or Rhodes, or Wurli etc, I simply walk over to my keyboard controller, either a 88 key hammer action, or a smaller 37 key midi, depending on the needs, and use it to trigger samples from Native Instruments Komplete

When I want guitar sounds, I use guitar. When I want keys sounds, I use keys. The chords are just so much easier to play on a real keyboard.

Its like trying to make a guitar into a bass. You can sort of do it, and it sounds okay sometimes with some pitch shifting, but given stores are full of real bass guitars, and you can get a decent bass for the cost of a pedal to try to turn a guitar into a bass, why not just play the bass ?

By the same token, I do have sample libraries that do guitar and electric bass sounds, but I find it so much easier to just grab a bass or guitar and play the part. Trying to play guitar riffs on a keyboard just doesn't work that well IMO.

Synth modules and VST's have not so much luck holding their value on the resale market.

Actually I've bought and sold a lot of plug-ins and have always found them to maintain their value as well as hardware - as long as the developer is still keeping it up-to-date and has a decent resale policy.

I'm interested to hear if anyone actually uses these sounds live or in the studio? I mean... I remember using the violin patch at some point at my band rehearsals and it was definitely just a gimmick to all the guys. We definitely had a good and long laugh but a guitar sounding like another instrument just seems like a joke at least to... well Scandinavian people. :lol

When I want a B3, or Rhodes, or Wurli etc, I simply walk over to my keyboard controller, either a 88 key hammer action, or a smaller 37 key midi, depending on the needs, and use it to trigger samples from Native Instruments Komplete

When I want guitar sounds, I use guitar. When I want keys sounds, I use keys. The chords are just so much easier to play on a real keyboard.

Its like trying to make a guitar into a bass. You can sort of do it, and it sounds okay sometimes with some pitch shifting, but given stores are full of real bass guitars, and you can get a decent bass for the cost of a pedal to try to turn a guitar into a bass, why not just play the bass ?

By the same token, I do have sample libraries that do guitar and electric bass sounds, but I find it so much easier to just grab a bass or guitar and play the part. Trying to play guitar riffs on a keyboard just doesn't work that well IMO.

Partially agree. Let the guitar be the guitar and not keys.

But, the leslie organ sounds have creeped into guitarists heads and stuck. Lot's of vibrato, chorus, rotary speaker, etc. efx. are part of the guitar bag now.

So the exception for me would be the leslie / organ sims. These are in the guitar bag. And this pedal is pretty cool for that.

I have been used some of those orchestra style tones out of Axe FX II ,and you can get very nice results whit those presets also. That B9 Organ Machine sounds nice and unique ,nice tracking and sound quality also. Definitely would be nice to have that B9 in the Axe FX II ,btw below is some quick test whit some violin hammond and synth tones whit Axe FX II.

I'm interested to hear if anyone actually uses these sounds live or in the studio? I mean... I remember using the violin patch at some point at my band rehearsals and it was definitely just a gimmick to all the guys. We definitely had a good and long laugh but a guitar sounding like another instrument just seems like a joke at least to... well Scandinavian people. :lol

Partially agree. Let the guitar be the guitar and not keys.

But, the leslie organ sounds have creeped into guitarists heads and stuck. Lot's of vibrato, chorus, rotary speaker, etc. efx. are part of the guitar bag now.

So the exception for me would be the leslie / organ sims. These are in the guitar bag. And this pedal is pretty cool for that.

Totally agree with you that certain organ effects have become popular, and rightly so, as using a rotary speaker sounds great with a guitar coming through it. This pedal though isn't so much a rotary sim, as its supposed to sound like an actual organ, which it does pretty well. Certainly the best to date.

Thing is though that its kind of a cliche organ sound, opposed to a real rocking Hammond organ ala classic rock tracks. If you wanted to do some cheesey 7th inning stretch mascot dance sounds like at a baseball game it works great for that. If you want to play some fast "Phantom of the Opera" style cathedral organ piece, its great for that. Can pull off some nice cheesey transistor organ tones too.

Just how useful are those type of sounds in most music though ? Once you get past the 30 second "whoa cool, his guitar is making organ sounds" aspect, are you really going to stop being a guitar player and do organ parts on multiple songs ? Which if so, perhaps would suggest, at least to me, that you should get a real keyboard, and/or an extra band member who plays keys.

Its actually gotten very easy for even non keyboard players to play keys these days. My Native Instruments software has a chord mode where you can select 5th, 4th's, 7th etc and you just need to press one key to play proper chords. It also has a scale mode where all the notes that trigger are in a proper scale, say a blues scale, so you literally can't hit a wrong note.

I mean if someone enjoys the pedal and has fun with it, that is great, I'm not trying to dampened anyone's fun, but, at the same time, I do think its just that, more "fun", than it is a way to make up for having a keyboard player in the band.

Other thing is that these sounds can become over used really quickly. Remember when everyone had the EHX POG ? I had one too. Made some pretty unique sounds, but then Jack White did "Blur Orchid" with it, and then pretty much everytime I used the thing, people thought I was trying to do that track, or go after his tone. Gets to the point where its hard to do something unique, because its such a unique sound that always gets associated with that track. As such, my $350 pedal became one I didn't really want to use much, because I wasn't doing White Strips covers.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting gear that gets a certain artist sound though. I got a reverse wah, ala David Gilmour, for the exact reason I wanted to make David Gilmour "seagull" sounds. Could I try to break that out during a set though and have it sound like anything BUT a David Gilmour tone ? No way (unless maybe the audience is 15 and never heard of Pink Floyd lol). Point being, its an iconic sound from a reverse wah, with one particular track.

Stuff simply gets overused, "shimmer" reverb for example. Awesome at first, but then when 2 bands that went on before you that night both had songs that featured the effect, is it still as cool as when you first got it ? Now its become a parody of itself almost.

I think hundreds of kids (and adults) are buying the B9 at GC every day, and as it is cool for what it is, we are going to start seeing more and more of them used during bands sets. It likely will get to the point where its become overused and gimmicky, and then we'll see tons of them hitting the used market.

Just like the POG, or the Whammy etc. I bought all those pedals when they were hot, and ended up selling them for pretty big losses once they were not.

I have it since day one. It's ok, in reality it's tough to use, doesn't sound as well as the promo video. I may still use it behind some acoustic stuff, we'll see.

I use an EHX HOG 2 with a rotary block to cover organ parts in songs that also have piano for a couple of our covers live. I use one of my controllers to control the rotary speed. It works out pretty good and lets the band pull off songs live that would otherwise end up sounding quite different from the originals. I even used it to emulate a cello for the intro to Stompa.

Back
Top Bottom