B+ Time Constant Comparison to Guitar Rig 5's "Response" Question

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
Quoting from GR5's manual

RESPONSE changes the power storing capacity of the power supply capacitors. Turning down RESPONSE increases their capacity, so that the supply voltage reacts more slowly to playing dynamics. Turning it up will result in the amp’s power supply reacting more rapidly for a looser feel.

In GR5 the response knob ranges from 0-10

Quoting from Axe Fx's manual

B+ TIME CONSTANT (in the Advanced menu) interacts with the Sag control because it makes the power supply response slower or faster. When the supply is fast it will sag rapidly accentuating the pick attack and compressing after. Most guitar players like this, but setting it too fast will cause excessive AC ripple and ghost notes. For convenience the virtual power supply voltage (B+) is shown as a meter on this page when the SUPPLY SAG control is selected. The meter displays the supply voltage in dB, relative to the idle voltage.

In Axe Fx the B+ Time Constant ranges from 0 to 100 miliseconds

Questions
  • Are they the same thing?
  • If the response is for example 1.5 on GR5 would that equate to a high millisecond value on the axe fx?

Also confused as to why a rapid reacting supply would lead to a looser feel? quoting from GR5

Perhaps they're using "loose" here to mean that the loss of dynamic range available to the picking hand results in a technique that need not be as precise, or "tight", with regards to that particular characteristic. (I'm just guessing.) I find the topic interesting as I tend to search for settings that will help me tame the dynamic range of my right hand (although the best thing would be to improve my right hand technique). :)

Perhaps they're using "loose" here to mean that the loss of dynamic range available to the picking hand results in a technique that need not be as precise, or "tight", with regards to that particular characteristic. (I'm just guessing.) I find the topic interesting as I tend to search for settings that will help me tame the dynamic range of my right hand (although the best thing would be to improve my right hand technique). :)

I’m sure you’ve messed around with the dynamics page on the amp

Yes, and with the various compressors. In some presets it seems I've dialed in something that works, while in others, not so much. But I'm making progress; and it's fun figuring it all out.
I’m sure that dynamics page is all you need for taming your right hand , but I agree on just practicing instead of relying on the unit

Quoting from GR5's manual

RESPONSE changes the power storing capacity of the power supply capacitors. Turning down RESPONSE increases their capacity, so that the supply voltage reacts more slowly to playing dynamics. Turning it up will result in the amp’s power supply reacting more rapidly for a looser feel.

Sounds like they're explaining the same thing two different ways. GR5 is discussing the virtual capacitors while FAS is explaining the B+ voltage which, in this case, would be supplied by the virtual capacitors. The capacitors in a tube amp power supply are storage tanks for DC voltage. If they are smaller, obviously, they can't store as much. In a tube amp, this results in sag. Larger capacitors will provide the amp with enough voltage to address the big chunky chord attack and keep the low end tight and defined. Smaller caps, conversely, will have a spongier looser feel on the low end when the same technique is applied. The harder and louder you pick, the more voltage the circuit requires...meaning the faster the caps lose their charge...i.e. the faster the amp responds to your pick dynamics.

Sounds like they're explaining the same thing two different ways. GR5 is discussing the virtual capacitors while FAS is explaining the B+ voltage which, in this case, would be supplied by the virtual capacitors. The capacitors in a tube amp power supply are storage tanks for DC voltage. If they are smaller, obviously, they can't store as much. In a tube amp, this results in sag. Larger capacitors will provide the amp with enough voltage to address the big chunky chord attack and keep the low end tight and defined. Smaller caps, conversely, will have a spongier looser feel on the low end when the same technique is applied. The harder and louder you pick, the more voltage the circuit requires...meaning the faster the caps lose their charge...i.e. the faster the amp responds to your pick dynamics.
Thank you for the paragraph of further explanation!

Back
Top Bottom