B.L.O.D!!! (Bypass Light of Death!!!!) Scary experience

Lightningboy

Experienced
So hi to all on the forum, I've now had my Ultra a couple of months and I'm coping well. Gigged live and rehearsed with the axe and it's growing into all I'd hoped it to be. The forum's a great source of information and opinions and I'm usually lurking somewhere on here most times of the day!!

So yesterday, I was just doing some final tweaks in Axe edit (latest version 0.9.151 and 9.03 firmware) just adjusting boost levels for solos etc. At some point during tweaking, I saved my patch on the axe instead of through the editor (was over that side of the room).......Auditioned the patch and no volume........checked cables......bypassed volume block........nada....zip......then I noticed the bypass light steadily blinking.....Ok.....so I hit the bypass......input levels back on but just a clean guitar coming through....no processing whatsoever....and still the bypass light blinking...taunting.....mocking!!!!
Ok......power down......wait........power up........Bypass light still blinking happily away......starting to feel like Dennis Weaver in Duel now......this thing wont quit.......
Ok.......power down......all cables out.....power lead out....wait longer....surely just a buffer memory overflow thingy type doodah I'm thinking........power back up.....
AND STILL IT BLINKS! :evil:
Now thinking of the HAL2000 in 2001.......I'm sorry I can't do that Dave......arrrrrghh
Ok......quick google.....couple of posts regarding the blinking light.......which both said they'd ending up returning their Axe.......NOOOOOO!!!!!!
Ok.......couple of hours to gig.....dont panic......have spare amp and G System so can still play if needs be.....ok...maybe re-installing firmware.....
Ok.......firmware re-installed............................hoping..........................praying..........................wishing..........
and like the Terminator it's still there, coming for me, never stopping.......blinking it's cold green light uncaring and petulant.......

So.........scan through the Axe menus.....utility page........CPU is happy in its 55-60% range.....still no processing going on.....all my blocks are as should be........By God it should work but just doesnt........so I turn to the final hope.....the reset system parameters.......
Deep Breath........
Fingers and toes and a few other things crossed......
Everything backed up so I can replace if needed.....
Push the button......
GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!

All back, the Axe brain is back on line...working well and refreshed from it's time out......

So forgive my waffling during this post......I just wanted to share this and if you ever find yourself in the same situation.....before reaching for the box to ship the thing back or the phone to tech support......just try and keep calm and if, God forbid, this also happens to you, then remember the reset is your friend!!

Thanks Axe Fx for making my heart beat a little faster in oh so many ways!!! lol :D

The good thing was my patches were still there after the reset.....although I had backed them up previously.....even during all this B.L.O.D the Axe edit software was still allowing me to communicate and save/sync patches and luckily had just backed up that day.

Nothing to worry about. You don't wanna know how often I've had that during testing. By now, eventhough still in beta, the editor is very stable, meaning the chance to get the Axe hanging is very slim. Posts regarding returning their Axe had nothing to do with what you mentioned, but with new firmware transfers, where very few units encountered problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom