Axiom Bluecat vs Axe-Fx

lukather

Inspired
I have had the axiom on demo for over a month ! Totally blown away by this software ! The same way I was with my Axefx ultra 10 years ago !

Is this the future the cleans and decimatir are something to behold along with the reverb and presets delays the depth you can go and utilising your own VSTs and IRs !

Please can someone educate me as to pros as cons

Even midi integration !

I am thinking of using my Mac book pro and finding a midi pedal and maybe selling the ax8 !

I have been Matching sounds against my ax8 and I can actually improve some of my tones with ease which I thought I’d never do ?

Thoughts ?

I have a par of CLRs and this is the first software that has the touch and feel and sound !

Can anyone recommend a midi pedal

Thanks 🙏🏻

I’m after clear thought and understanding of the technology in comparison to an Axefx not really a generic two liner ! 😎

Tools for tools - how does this tech sound, perform it has unique features
In how it performs ! The Reverb go look - the delay phenomenal !

Some guitarist have a very clear thought process and style and uses technology differently from a majority of other guitarists I’m hoping people on here can see if this compares with a Axefx3
Where it lacks - flexibility- midi - tone - IRS ? Routing -

I understand tech but not to a greater degree !

C

Last edited:
I’m after clear thought and understanding of the technology in comparison to an Axefx not really a generic two liner ! 😎

Some guitarist have a very clear thought process and style and uses technology differently from a majority of other guitarists I’m hoping people on here can see if this compares with a Axefx3

C
But how it compares is going to be dependent on how YOU want to use it.

If it sounds good to you and that is your criteria, then you're done.

Does it "feel" like a tube amp? That's a criteria for some (me).

Plini is currently working on a software based system for his use. He has very specific (and frankly, limited) requirements. He has said (at the recent Vai Academy) that sound wise he is very happy with it... But he's not yet convinced it is stable enough to tour with.

Im clearly totally biased but I'm also a very educated listener. I tried it and was not super impressed. For lack of a better description it has the "taint" of a plugin, like a slight caricature almost. Some interesting ideas but it would never replace my Axe-Fx. Pass.

Im clearly totally biased but I'm also a very educated listener. I tried it and was not super impressed. For lack of a better description it has the "taint" of a plugin, like a slight caricature almost. Some interesting ideas but it would never replace my Axe-Fx. Pass.
Ha ha... You said "taint" :D

Sorry my inner Beavis is showing!

C
the more effects you load up, the greater your latency will be, and it’s hard to avoid when a computers OS isn’t dedicated to Audio. Round trip latency is very annoying, especially when recording into a daw. It’s also annoying when you see your intel I7 quad core cpu getting very hot trying to playback ,more than two simultaneous sim tracks. Having said that, playing a sim in standalone mode can be fun. While it seems like it sounds really good, the moment you switch to the AXE the sim sounds like a toy. My son is currently using the top of the line positive grid sim, but when I come home he says “Dad, can I use your Axe FX, its the only way I can get the sound im looking for”. Live you’ll never get seamless switching, and you’ll,probably crash before you get to switch.

It's pretty good for a plugin - I really like the delays, the VST wrapper and the IR loading all rolled into one package. My least favourite aspect are the amp sims.

Really appreciate all your feedback and input ! I would love to go axe3 but can’t justify the cost ! I know I know !
I’ve been a Fractal user over 10 years - I’m a very clean effects type of player think the Edge with some overdriven lead tones ( bit lukather mid 80s)
I don’t need 200 amps or hundreds of IRS I currently use 4-5 amps and the same amount of IRs
I’m thinking of using the Helix Rack ( I know don’t bite my head off ) but this would be used as my interface and midi controller ( lots of routing options and and midi control that the Ax8 doesn’t offer !) I’m hoping this with significantly reduce the latency issues as a combination of being able to utilise both sets of amps effects and cabs again

Utilise the amps and cabs in blue cat for cleans and effected
Use the Helix ( I know I know don’t shoot me ) for driven
Use amp plugins\ omnisphere in Axiom

Is there anyway I could use my Ax8 with the Mac book to facilitate the same routing ?

Many thanks everyone

It's pretty good for a plugin - I really like the delays, the VST wrapper and the IR loading all rolled into one package. My least favourite aspect are the amp sims.

Hi Leon thanks for your input !? Really appreciated !!

What are your thought of using plug ins with the axiom - fortin etc ?

hi Lukather,

It sounds like you are going to get the helix rack so you save a few hundred dollars. False economy in my humble opinion as you will never get the sound the axe fx will give you.
just save for a few more weeks and you won’t have to compromise.
thanks
pauly

Really appreciate all your feedback and input ! I would love to go axe3 but can’t justify the cost ! I know I know !
I’ve been a Fractal user over 10 years - I’m a very clean effects type of player think the Edge with some overdriven lead tones ( bit lukather mid 80s)
I don’t need 200 amps or hundreds of IRS I currently use 4-5 amps and the same amount of IRs
I’m thinking of using the Helix Rack ( I know don’t bite my head off ) but this would be used as my interface and midi controller ( lots of routing options and and midi control that the Ax8 doesn’t offer !) I’m hoping this with significantly reduce the latency issues as a combination of being able to utilise both sets of amps effects and cabs again

Utilise the amps and cabs in blue cat for cleans and effected
Use the Helix ( I know I know don’t shoot me ) for driven
Use amp plugins\ omnisphere in Axiom

Is there anyway I could use my Ax8 with the Mac book to facilitate the same routing ?

Many thanks everyone

Not ready to go beyond the front door with anything running under windows or apple. As for the savings, better be sure it's really that good...if not GAS will be needed to compensate and that will cost you a lot more. For the time being FAS has totally mend my GAS since almost ten years now. Almost all I bought since is guitars and some items for having a hand carry bag solution so I can rehearse during longer job trips. FM3 will clear that last need.

I wasn't impressed with the amp sims at all when I tried it. I spent a few days really messing with it. Very good effects, but pretty bad amp sims. The Helix or Axe III will sound way better for amp sims, IMO. Nothing wrong with the Helix when compared to the Axe III either, I have both and use both (I have the floor version). The Helix is an outstanding bit of kit, and the amp sims are only slightly behind the Axe III. It is easier to use than the Axe. I'm in the very fortunate position to own a Kemper, Axe III and Helix. If I had to sell most of my stuff and only keep one thing, I'd keep the Helix because it ticks so many boxes and sounds amazing.

If your tone and feel hunt is a budget directed subject, then you’ve already given yourself the answer. Your question is like asking which color is the best for dollars X, analog to that, pretty much every musician that I know has different priorities and preferences on what tone and feel are concerned.

For me the feel and the ability to interact/shape the character and tone with my playing style and volume/tone controls is my ultimate priority, this is where my Axe III inspires and motivates and for me, after playing guitar for over 50 years now, It's a revelation. As said , that’s my color…

Back
Top Bottom