AXFXII v18 - Dynamics, harmonics and exploding tubes? Pictorial/Tutorial Added!!!

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Reworked some of my tones with V.18.xx firmware in the Axe-FX II XL and cut this live direct to check dynamics, pick attack and EQ. Sharing because it ended up nailing what I was after. Sorry for the clams; one take. Check the way each amp just sounds like it is on the edge of exploding into fire and smoke; harmonics jumping. I wanted to work with each amp preset here using the volume knob.

Guitar is my 2001 PRS Single Cut with Motor City Black Belt II covered pickups.

(0.00) Marshall SLP, (3:20) Vox AC-30, (5:20) Cameron Atomica, (8:22) Friedman BE w/wah

Some of the cool things to be aware of or try out if you have an Axe-FX II are the following:

• These are my actual working production gigging/recording tones. No goofy stuff with post processing other than to normalize the track once it was in Reaper. Recorded via the USB out on the AFXII.
  • Presets as you hear them consist of PEQ, Amp, Cab, Reverb, Delay
  • PEQ block. Using a simple PEQ setting (low shelf) before the amp block. Using -6db at about 300hz.
  • Amp Block - I am using the "Long Plate" Preamp tube setting for all amps that I run the master volume wide open on (Marshall SLP, Vox AC-30).
  • Cab Block - these are custom mixes I did from Fractal's Cab Pack 10. I am doing a mix of R121 (0db), SM57 (-9db), Condenser (various mics available, just choose one) (-12db) and one from the back of the speaker (various mics available, just choose 1) at (-15db). One key thing I am doing with the Cab block is using the (Mic) Preamp page there in High Quality mode with a Tape 50us setting; Drive at +3.00, Saturation at +2.00; EQ: +1db Bass, +2db MId, +2db Treb. To me, that's a *huge* part of the whole 'fit in the mix'
  • Delay Block - Mono Tape delay mixed to taste; you'll have to really listen to hear it
  • Reverb Block - High Quality "Rec Studio C" setting
  • ***On both the Delay and Reverb blocks I duck the effect in each -6db at -20db Threshold and Release at 60ms

Have fun. Notice the first thing I do is hit the strings - bottom 2, middle 2, top 2 and then all. What I am doing there is listening to how they balance. I want a fairly even balance between all.

I use the Axe-FX II's Utility Window VU meters to hit the middle two strings on every preset and have them average at about 0db to match the volume between all my presets.

Note: added a pictorial/tutorial post later in this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-harmonics-exploding-tubes-2.html#post1179364

Last edited:
Sounds awesome !... I'm learning from each one of your threads about the guitar tone, do you have any specific philosophy for adjusting pre-amp tab in cab-block for each amp ? or just using your ears and look how much it need or what not ...

Thank you !

Sounds awesome !... I'm learning from each one of your threads about the guitar tone, do you have any specific philosophy for adjusting pre-amp tab in cab-block for each amp ? or just using your ears and look how much it need or what not ...

Thank you !
Thanks for the nice words.

Yes, I have a very specific way of dialing up tones but I tend to focus on what I know so it seems easy to me. I essentially trust my ears; but I have a lot of years using tube amps and dialing up the Fractal boxes in particular.

I'll get up a step-by-step video soon on how I dial particular amps. The key to all of it is a good IR - Cliff and company have done the rest of the heavy lifting. This toolbox is one of the most advanced on the planet but it gets easier and easier to dial up mix ready tones.

Look for a video soon.

really great tones !
mind to share the patches Scott (AF2 or XL ?)?

edit: ok XL, not read correctly the OP...

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words.

Yes, I have a very specific way of dialing up tones but I tend to focus on what I know so it seems easy to me. I essentially trust my ears; but I have a lot of years using tube amps and dialing up the Fractal boxes in particular.

I'll get up a step-by-step video soon on how I dial particular amps. The key to all of it is a good IR - Cliff and company have done the rest of the heavy lifting. This toolbox is one of the most advanced on the planet but it gets easier and easier to dial up mix ready tones.

Look for a video soon.

It's great Scott :)

Scott, can I ask and this is purely out of subjective taste.... Your tones seem a little "bright" and heavy in the 3-5kHz range. Does this translate well at gig volume and with the other instruments? I've always favoured less treble and more upper mids, as I find that i fits well with other instruments etc. Is there a reason why your tones are so bright?

Back
Top Bottom