AxePad - iPad controller for Axe-FX is launched!

Cyber I'll have my usb/midi cable in the mailbox
Hopefully tomorrow. I have an iPad 2.... I'll let u
Know what happens then.

Cyberferret, I have an IPadII and using the irig midi, I can hook it up the lights on the irig blink and when I move the slider the Axefx II responds goes to the preset and as soon as I lift my finger off it crashes. Same response from 1.0 to this latest release. I would be more than happy to be a part of the beta team if you still need anyone. Thanks
chuck

still not working for me - ipad 3

the latest axepad update still doesn't work for my ipad 3. as soon as I select a preset, the midi lights start moving and then crash. The axepad shuts down and I'm returned to the ipad home screen.

Apologies for not getting back to everyone straight away - especially the Beta test team (new) applicants.

I decided to 'dive deep' again into the code to make some major improvements in a lot of areas. I also managed to borrow an iPad2 while waiting for my iPad3 to arrive from Apple Australia... and... I've managed to FIND the damn bug that was causing the iPad2/3s to crash. There were actually several buffer overruns happening a few spots.

Fixed those, and things seems to be a lot more stable on the borrowed iPad2.

I've also decided that instead of just another bug 'patch', I would try and do a bit more on the features of AxePad, so I have successfully put in a 'Tap Tempo' function (just tap the area around the tempo light on the first screen to set the tempo on the Axe-FX).

Also, I have been refining the Axe-FX II parameters (e.g. 'Gain' is now 'Drive', GEQ block has 9 sliders instead of 7 etc.).

I've also implemented the 'Boost' and 'Bright' switch, and put a 'Speaker Drive' knob on the amp screen as per popular request:

6903000134_8bfcbf55d0_z.jpg

I'll be spending the Easter weekend testing and refining these enhancements, plus a couple more minor ones, then pushing it out to the beta team, then to the App Store.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Toying with making small improvements to the interface. Probably the most hated thing on AxePad so far was the white 'plastic' knobs on the Amp screen.

How about Fender style knobs, and replacing the smaller black ones with silver stereo style knobs? Thoughts??

6903801330_e3a237fbef_z.jpg

Cool stuff - keep up the good work!!!

PS: I also had some issues with my old original iPad - just loaded version 1.02 and it seems to be more stable now (wish I could now also get that Tuner to work)

New knobs are a cool idea. It would be perfect if they would fit the ampmodel per preset, but maybe I'm asking too much here ;)
But how about Chickenhead style knobs? They are not as pretty but it's much easier to see the value...

Keep up the great work.

Improvements are looking good. Is it possible to add a "value" box maybe on the top middle section of the page so when you change a knob, the value box shows the numeric change of the knob being turned?

Example: Turning the treble up, the value box shows "5.4" (or whatever the number is while changing it).

And maybe include a little arrow, or notch, at some point around each knob to show the general level of what the knob is set at.

New knobs are a cool idea. It would be perfect if they would fit the ampmodel per preset, but maybe I'm asking too much here ;)
But how about Chickenhead style knobs? They are not as pretty but it's much easier to see the value...

Keep up the great work.

Haha! I did think about that - but finding/making good amp knobs is a very difficult task that I don't have the time for. I'll jot that down for a future upgrade perhaps in V2.0 or something... ;)

Improvements are looking good. Is it possible to add a "value" box maybe on the top middle section of the page so when you change a knob, the value box shows the numeric change of the knob being turned?

Example: Turning the treble up, the value box shows "5.4" (or whatever the number is while changing it).

And maybe include a little arrow, or notch, at some point around each knob to show the general level of what the knob is set at.

Aha! That is just what I am thinking of doing actually. Because there is not much room on the actual pedals etc. to display values, I was going to have a 'notification' type box drop down from the top with the currently selected value as you move the knob or control...

Not sure if I can squeeze that it for 1.1, but I will give it a go...

Hey Devan,

How did the "code marathon" go this past weekend?!

-Steve

Hey Steve,

Whew! Marathon is the word... I totally rebuilt the threading subsystem in AxePad to make it more reliable. The upside is now MUCH more reliability and consistency in the app. The downside is that certain routines, like 'building' the pedal in the Effects screen are a little slower. If you select a preset with LOTS of effects blocks and switch to the Effects screen, you will literally see pedals 'pop up' in front of you as they are 'built' and AxePad interrogates the Axe-FX for the settings in the background.

Some pedal sets are taking 4 to 5 seconds to completely build and display. I don't think I can do anything more with this as I am already taxing the limited processing power of the iPad as is. I am sure that users will put up with this delay in return for a more robust app.

In saying that, if you switch presets, then go to the Amp or Cabs screen and twiddle a couple of knobs there, then go the Effects screen, there is a really good chance that the pedals will all already be built by that time. I am trying to get everything to work in background threads to free up the interface as much as possible.

Not sure now whether I should push this version out, or work on a couple more minor enhancements that I wanted to add in... ;)

Reactions: jon
I'd say push it out...for 2 reasons:

1) It will get the users who are having problems to at least start getting some functionality with AxePad.
2) Although you're still working on it, all of us here can start messing with it and give you more feedback sooner than later. :D

Looking forward to it either way!

I don't agree. I think this is a perfect contrary to Cliff and ver 6. Take care to work bugs out BEFORE you release it. It saves everyone, but especially YOU headaches.

Well, yeah, that would make sense if there weren't a lot of people who purchased the app a while ago and it still doesn't work on their respective iPads. The important thing here is that the app works for EVERYONE first...then enhancements on knobs and additional functionality (that is beyond secondary to the app actually WORKING).

Last edited:
Yes. Well the app hasn't worked for me at all, and I'm one of the first buyers. I still think the best thing to do ALWAYS is to work all the bugs out you can FIRST before selling it. Bugs will always be found, later. UNless you say XXX doesn't function yet properly, but we're working on it.

Thanks guys - well, I pushed out v1.1 to the Apple approval team late last night. Given their past turnaround, we should see the app released just after next weekend.

I think the biggest problem here was that I didn't get the chance to fully test the app with ALL the different Apple iPad model. And by ALL, I mean TWO as there was only the iPad1 and iPad2 out when I started working on AxePad.

This is one of the main reasons I scream and faint in horror whenever anyone asks if I would consider developing AxePad for the Android platform. That's a HUGE spread of hardware devices on that platform, which means I would have to code a lot more defensively rather than try and optimise the software to suit the device.

This is also a 'heads up' to the people who were expecting AxePad to be a $2 or a free app - when the cost of development includes having to buy an Axe-FXII AND an iPad3 so I can perform full testing then even at $12 per copy, I will never recoup that cost... ;)

Back
Top Bottom