-set the mix values
-select these files
-audition
-If i like the result i enter the IR name on the bottom of the page
-select download IR and set IR slot number
-press download IR

Is this correct procedure?
Yes, that will work just fine.
As to whether you need the audition step, that depends. For the Axe-Fx II, Audition selects the slot used to download the audition IR based on the active preset. If the preset has a cab block (CAB1 or CAB2) that points to a user slot, that user slot will be used for downloading the audition. For stereo cabs, only the left setting is checked when looking for a user slot. If both cab blocks are present and referencing user slots, the value from CAB1 will be used.

If the cab blocks do not reference a user cab slot, then the Audition IR goes to user slot 1. On the Ultra/Std, auditions always use slot 1.

This is the behavior defined by Axe-Edit.

Some people think that Audition will only temporarily overwrite the existing IR. That is not the case; once an IR is downloaded it is there until you write over that slot with another IR.

I felt that aomDSP should follow the same rules for auditions that people are used to from Axe-Edit, but in practice it can be a bit confusing.​

You could just as well use only the Download function. Keep downloading to the same user slot until you find one you want to keep, then change to another user slot.

Personally, I tend to compare mix variations of the same files, so I'll download a different mix to several slots and then spend time listening to the differences. Once I figure out which one I like the best, I download it to a different slot.

With all the IRs that are available and the possibilities for different mixes, you can end up creating a lot of test IRs in a short period of time, and it is easy to lose track of what exactly is in a specific mix. I'm thinking about some ways to make that easier, so stay tuned.

With all the IRs that are available and the possibilities for different mixes, you can end up creating a lot of test IRs in a short period of time, and it is easy to lose track of what exactly is in a specific mix. I'm thinking about some ways to make that easier, so stay tuned.

Yep, I'm already running into that after only a week with the AOM. I keep telling myself I'll write down what's in the mix, then forget about the time I hit enter to save it.

Who am I kidding? I'd lose the paper I wrote it down on anyway!

LMO - I've been following this since it's beginning and finally had the time to download/test this software. Unbelievable product! Thank you!!!

Very much liking the ability to download IR's to a specific slot....
Yeah, I've been wondering if anyone would notice if I removed Audition all-together. :D

I've started working on a history function for the next version, where saves, downloads, and auditions are optionally tracked and you can open a window that displays the date, time, filename (only for saves) and slot (only for downloads), along with the file names and other settings used to create the mixes. Double-click on an entry and it will restore those values to the Mix IRs input fields.

That way if you like the sound of the mix you downloaded to slot 32 but can't remember how it was made you can look it up.

The prototype UI, which is in a very early state, looks like this:

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-31%20at%205.13.41%20PM.jpeg

Yeah, I've been wondering if anyone would notice if I removed Audition all-together. :D

Since 'Audition' is actually a Download, leaving an 'Audition' function that overwrites a slot is unclear and could be frustrating to new users who 'Audition' only to find out they blew away a User IR that wasn't backed up and can't be replaced.

I've started working on a history function for the next version, where saves, downloads, and auditions are optionally tracked and you can open a window that displays the date, time, filename (only for saves) and slot (only for downloads), along with the file names and other settings used to create the mixes. Double-click on an entry and it will restore those values to the Mix IRs input fields
That's brilliant, I'm most of the time too busy making IR mixes to note the recipes :)

One thing though, the "choose file type to often" option doesn't work on my PC (Win XP), it always search for .wav.

I did nice mixes those last days though, mostly with the OH V2 and RedWirez IRs, and I'll record a video demo of that soon

Oof! I'd miss it! I keep that #1slot free just for this, and by doing that I know I won't accidentally overwrite a slot that I use for cabs I have settled on. After all, maybe 30% of the recipes I cobble together are worth actually keeping.

I have thought that it might be nice to have user checkboxes to automatically save both the recipe and the IR mix if the user does one or the other.

Oof! I'd miss it! I keep that #1slot free just for this, and by doing that I know I won't accidentally overwrite a slot that I use for cabs I have settled on. After all, maybe 30% of the recipes I cobble together are worth actually keeping. [...]

But couldn't you continue to do that by always keeping slot 1 as an "in-progress-slot" even if Audition was removed? Just test your mix by saving it to slot 1?

But couldn't you continue to do that by always keeping slot 1 as an "in-progress-slot" even if Audition was removed? Just test your mix by saving it to slot 1?

Certainly...provided you remember to change the slot number. ;-)

My profession is usability, and I see this kind of thing a lot. Another option is to default the slot number always to 1, which would accomplish basically the same thing as the current audition option does.

That's brilliant, I'm most of the time too busy making IR mixes to note the recipes :)

One thing though, the "choose file type to often" option doesn't work on my PC (Win XP), it always search for .wav.

I did nice mixes those last days though, mostly with the OH V2 and RedWirez IRs, and I'll record a video demo of that soon

After going back to incomplete notes too many times I now keep a spreadsheet open when shooting IRs, mixing IRs and Tone Matching. Once you settle on a format it's a matter of copying a row and updating a field or 2. Too often you never realize an IR is magic until you are a few mic movements or mixes down the line trying to find improvements. If you're like me mics and levels are changing so fast you'll never recreate the magic w/o notes.

LMO: Does the IR mix history show the levels of each IR in the mix?

What version of the program are you running?

Oof! I'd miss it! I keep that #1slot free just for this, and by doing that I know I won't accidentally overwrite a slot that I use for cabs I have settled on. After all, maybe 30% of the recipes I cobble together are worth actually keeping.

I have thought that it might be nice to have user checkboxes to automatically save both the recipe and the IR mix if the user does one or the other.
Audition, as implemented by AxeEdit, doesn't always download to slot #1. If the selected preset has a cab block pointing to a user slot, audition downloads to that slot. If not, audition downloads to slot #1 and modifies the first cab block in the preset to point to user slot one. If there are no user cab blocks, aomDSP pops up a message and aborts the audition; I didn't want to copy the behavior from AxeEdit in that case (crash).

Since the behavior was/is defined by AxeEdit and is not controlled by the AxeFx, and is generally confusing, I'm planning to do something different with it. A couple of possibilities:
1. Have Audition always use slot 1 and leave the active preset alone.
2. Just get rid of Audition. Download to slot# is simple to understand.

Always saving the mix to a file brings up the issue of what file name to use. I don't want to bug the user to select a folder, enter a name, and potentially answer a replace file prompt, when the user is doing a download. Given that users have enough trouble remembering what is in a file even after personally creating a descriptive file name, I think auto-generated file names would just be worse.

I think the history tracking should be a better solution.
Certainly...provided you remember to change the slot number. ;-)

My profession is usability, and I see this kind of thing a lot. Another option is to default the slot number always to 1, which would accomplish basically the same thing as the current audition option does.
It would be simple to return the slot# to one after every download. But then you have the problem of having no reference as to what slot you just used, assuming it was something other than one.

LMO: Does the IR mix history show the levels of each IR in the mix?
The history captures everything: all files that are selected, mix levels, processing options, IR name, output file name or user slot (except for audition). The display window displays a tree view by date and time, and you can expand any entry to see all the filenames and mix amounts. Select the one you want, click restore, and the Mix IRs input menu is filled in for that mix.

Audition, as implemented by AxeEdit, doesn't always download to slot #1.

I thought we were talking about audition as featured in AxeOMatic, not AxeEdit. That's what I meant that I would miss. I think defaulting AxeOMatic to use a singles slot for auditioning makes good sense.

I'd find the History function as you've described would be great feature; it would cut down a lot of 'maintenance' issues and laborious note-taking I do when playing with IR mixes....cool.

I thought we were talking about audition as featured in AxeOMatic, not AxeEdit. That's what I meant that I would miss. I think defaulting AxeOMatic to use a singles slot for auditioning makes good sense.
I'm just saying that I used the AxeEdit behavior as the specification for how Audition is supposed to work. My thinking originally was that deviating from that behavior would be confusing, but I've come to the conclusion that it may be less confusing just to do the same thing every time.

I just tried it on XP with version 1.1.6 and it works here. What do you see in drop down box at the bottom, labeled "Files of type:"? Are the file types listed there different than the ones you selected?

Last edited:
I just tried it on XP with version 1.1.6 and it works here. What do you see in drop down box at the bottom, labeled "Files of type:"? Are the file types listed there different than the ones you selected?
Yes, it searches for .wav files and I have to select .syx each time

Back
Top Bottom