AxeIII as a USB audio interface, mixed with UA Apollo twin and Logic Pro. Aggregate device?

burger

Hi all, I've been playing with different setups in my home setup with the Axe along with my existing UA Apollo. I've got analog working (of course), SPDIF is good too. However the USB audio is a bit tricky.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to live monitor the USB output from the Axe back through the Apollo?
Currently I can only do this if I load up Logic and setup the In/Out audio interface as Axe/Apollo. When I do this I get a noticeable latency that makes it unworkable for live monitoring.

I've tried setting up an aggregate device and that didn't seem to solve this.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to live monitor the USB output from the Axe back through the Apollo?
Currently I can only do this if I load up Logic and setup the In/Out audio interface as Axe/Apollo. When I do this I get a noticeable latency that makes it unworkable for live monitoring.
Not possible without latency.

Live monitoring is the actual real time analog output of the device. Live monitoring with an interface splits the signal: It goes to USB and also directly to Axe FX Analog Output mixed with the time compensated DAW USB return of mix tracks/Output. The Apollo works similarly. So, once its gone to USB (or Thunderbolt, or Firewire) its no longer Live Monitoring. The only way to have live monitoring with USB is to use the Axe FX3 Analog Output. Any USB routing incurs latency; as its routed to a computer DAW and where ever else, and eventually through AD conversion to speakers. Latency. Always. With any Interface. SPDIF from the Axe to the Apollo has such low latency to the Apollo (<1ms) that latency is not noticeable, but anything that's gone into the computer and DAW comes back out with noticeable latency when compared to the live signal.

Apollo and USB as an Aggregate Device has always worked well for me.

I gotta' ask why or what your application is. Axe SPDIF to Apollo, monitoring with Console is heaven.

Hi all, I've been playing with different setups in my home setup with the Axe along with my existing UA Apollo. I've got analog working (of course), SPDIF is good too. However the USB audio is a bit tricky.

I've tried setting up an aggregate device and that didn't seem to solve this.
There's no need for an aggregate. Just set the AxeFX as your input device and the Apollo as your output device in Logic. Direct monitor your AxeFX using the analog out to your speakers or SPDIF to the Apollo.

Have you tried something like soundflower?
It's a virtual sound card, that lets you reroute signals within your computer.

It might be outdated, but I still use it, because so is my Mac. :)
I think, the new version is called black hole.

Not possible without latency.

Live monitoring is the actual real time analog output of the device. Live monitoring with an interface splits the signal: It goes to USB and also directly to Axe FX Analog Output mixed with the time compensated DAW USB return of mix tracks/Output. The Apollo works similarly. So, once its gone to USB (or Thunderbolt, or Firewire) its no longer Live Monitoring. The only way to have live monitoring with USB is to use the Axe FX3 Analog Output. Any USB routing incurs latency; as its routed to a computer DAW and where ever else, and eventually through AD conversion to speakers. Latency. Always. With any Interface. SPDIF from the Axe to the Apollo has such low latency to the Apollo (<1ms) that latency is not noticeable, but anything that's gone into the computer and DAW comes back out with noticeable latency when compared to the live signal.

Apollo and USB as an Aggregate Device has always worked well for me.
Thanks. This is how I've ended up currently - using the analog outs via a line mixer for live monitoring and recording via SPDIF or USB. Your response confirms I'm on the right path I think, cheers.

There's no need for an aggregate. Just set the AxeFX as your input device and the Apollo as your output device in Logic. Direct monitor your AxeFX using the analog out to your speakers or SPDIF to the Apollo.
Brilliantly simple, thanks for the tip.

Have you tried something like soundflower?
It's a virtual sound card, that lets you reroute signals within your computer.

It might be outdated, but I still use it, because so is my Mac. :)
I think, the new version is called black hole.
Never heard of soundflower / blackhole, but will definitely check it out. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom