axefxology

Thanks for the two sequenced synth patches you posted in the other thread Simeon- just found them. I have much better luck taking a preexisting patch like that and altering it for myself than to try to to build them from the ground up :)

Thanks for the two sequenced synth patches you posted in the other thread Simeon- just found them. I have much better luck taking a preexisting patch like that and altering it for myself than to try to to build them from the ground up :)

Hope you find a good use for them!

Man, just when I thought I'd be fine with the Standard I stumble across this post! Wow, great great stuff Simeon! Do you mind giving a little insight as to what's going on with the Crystal Caves patch. I LOVE that one!

-Eric

thanks eric. here's what i pulled out of the original post by way of a description -

the patch used in this clip basically consists of

compressor>amp>cab>volume

the compressor helps to even out the dynamics and increase sustain. the amp can be any set to clean sound really

this then feeds a reverse delay and a stereo delay both set to long delay times and in parallel with the main chain

the stereo delay feeds two crystals blocks in parallel, set to octaves. everything then feeds a quad tap, chorus and plex detune. set the crystals to other intervals for a bigger sound, but watch out for non-diatonic notes that might creep in as you play different intervals in the parent scale.

pan everything around to taste and be aware of the mix levels on each block - you may want to send some of the dry signal into the crystals, or not...it's up to you.

try adding filters tied to a slow lfo, phasers, flangers, whatever you like, to give the delays a bit of movement and colour

just a quick note on delay times - you can sync all the delays to the master tempo, but you may find you lose depth, as some of the delays land right on top of others. it can be better to keep them unsynced and set to delay times that never overlap. this can help increase the "density" of the loop.

attach the feedback parameter of the main delay(s) to your footpedal, so you can control it. handy if you want to fade out quickly when you're finished. for a 10 second loop, a feedback level of about 65% will give you density without clutter.

Thanks Simeon! I listened to eScape yesterday here at work and was floored! You should know that I've really never listened to this kind of music before but I really really enjoyed it. Did you use the Ultra on this whole album? I'm assuming you didn't on the earlier albums since you probably didn't have the Axe yet. If you did use it on eScape, were you using some of the patches you posted here? Did you use my fav Crystal Caves on any of it? Sorry, for all the questions, but just excited about some new music I discovered! haha!

-Eric

thanks eric.

no, i used my old triaxis/g-force/eclipse rig on all of escape. with quite a bit of post-processing using various plugins as well.

best

sim

...ambiclouds was an attempt to recreate one of my favourite eclipse patches (of the same name). i forgot to write down any settings, so i had to build it from scratch. the eclipse manual says it's four serial two-second diffusors feeding a 36 tap, two-second multitap delay and a tempo-controlled two-second feedback delay running into a reverse 4-plex delay. re-reading that description, i see i'm short of a delay in my patch...

Hi Simeon, sorry to bother you again on this, but you said that "based on the Eclipse Manual etc.".
Can you please point me to the manual of the Eclipse? Is in there explained how they create the patches?
I had a Time Factor for a while and I loved it. I was close to buy a Space stompbox but then the Axe FX II came out.
Do you also know how this effect is created?

YouTube - ‪Eventide Space: Reverb and Beyond!‬‏ (Mangledverb at min. 6:40)
YouTube - ‪Vernon Reid checks out MangledVerb in Eventide Eclipse V4‬‏

It has a Nine Inch Nails/A Perfect Circle vibe to it that I absolutely love.
Thanks!

Can you post info on how to create the freeze effect? Thanks :)

you need to use an external controller (switch or pedal) and tie it to the feedback and the input level of a delay, so that when it's on, feedback is at 100% and input level is at zero and when it's off, feedback is at zero and input level is at 100%
if you use a simple mono or stereo delay, it'll sound too "bumpy", so to smooth things out, use a multidaley (use master feedback) and follow it up with another multidelay and a reverb. put all of these in a side chain.
you'll need to mess about with the controller curves and the damping parameters to get a smooth capture, but it can be done.

hope that helps

sim

Thanks Simeon, That will keep me busy awhile :) .. Always love your work, it was biggest reason I got the Ultra to begin with :)

Simeon, I have to ask: Do you think your tones/creations will be more in depth with AXE FX 2, being that they have a whole processor dedicated to FX and the other for amps?? I'm very excited to hear what you can come up with!

Simeon, I have to ask: Do you think your tones/creations will be more in depth with AXE FX 2, being that they have a whole processor dedicated to FX and the other for amps?? I'm very excited to hear what you can come up with!

I doubt I'll ever own one. I sold everything I had to get the ultra.

I doubt I'll ever own one. I sold everything I had to get the ultra.

Wow, sorry to reply to this thread so late but I haven't done much new with my axe over the past few months and I just stumbled upon this thread. I just want to say thanks for all the helpful tips throughout! You really offer good advice and helpful tips that teach people how to use the effects themselves. Very very cool stuff Simeon! THANKS!!

thanks keg. if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here and i'll try and answer them

sim

Back
Top Bottom