AxeFXIII to FM-9 presets.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
Not sure if this has been covered, but how portable will most presets be to the FM-9?

Not sure this has been covered by @austinbuddy and certainly it is not something that was expected by him.

I will do some experimentation when the 9 hits my shores.

R

Not sure if this has been covered, but how portable will most presets be to the FM-9?

Not sure this has been covered by @austinbuddy and certainly it is not something that was expected by him.

R
Presets are already portable between the Axe-Fx III and the FM3. Portability also exists between the Axe-Fx III and the FM9, subject to the same constraints (block instances and available CPU). So the FM9 has an advantage over the FM3 in this regard.

R

So far, there are a few (minimal) issues porting over presets using Preset manager, I did some LiveGold banks (all three) ports from III to FM9 and from FM3 to FM9 today as early test.

For shunt to GEQ4+Output 3 block(usually an amp block tap to go to a power amp/real cab in my Axe-FX III version TonePacks), that imports (via Preset manager) over good from Axe-Fx III to FM9, which is good. Output 4 disappears, as it should.

From everything I see so far generally, there are just a handful of little things to work out to make it perfect to do 1:1 ports, and I'm sure once Fractal team refines stuff, it this will all be smooth in a few weeks to do those 1:1 preset ports.

I'm reporting stuff in, and prefer to wait for Fractal team to address internally before listing all the little stuff I've found publicly here first, since I already know some are already going to be addressed soon. No reason to name a problem that you know is already in process of being solved, right?

So, it would be nice to have some sort of hardware/soft button option for that choice "always use Ultra Res cab mode in FM9, if IR is Ultra-Res" kind of thing, rather than manually changing hundreds of preset cab modes from standard to use Ultra Res - the FM9 seems to have the CPU power for Ultra Res no problem. I'd personally prefer default to be ON for Ultra Res in FM9, not off...

(Edited/deleted some comments here after further weekend testing).

Oh - I did work up a quick, personal TEST BETA FM9 "OMG9 AustinBuddy presets all layout file" for the FM9 tonight that would work with LiveGold presets or Naked Amps or Bass TonePack or Brit Rock Royalty #1 if you are trying to port presets over and want to use the amp controller CS switches on the FM9.

Attaching if anyone wants to import it to your FM9 and give it a go on your own end. Just know any compressors you port over from the III to the FM9 may be messed up if the Studio FB1 type (just use the FM3 preset version when you port instead, and you should be okay).

Attachments

• BETA-v1-AB-FM9-all-layouts.fclayout
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
A few things I thought were little bugs now seem to be working fine. Have ported a few hundred presets from III to FM9 and also tested FM3 to FM9 and all seems to be very smooth!

Won't see the new unit until Wed.

Are you able to import existing presets to the 9 without issues? Thinking all I'll do is take my top 40 and drop them in.

Ron

Won't see the new unit until Wed.

Are you able to import existing presets to the 9 without issues? Thinking all I'll do is take my top 40 and drop them in.

Ron
I brought over the LiveGold TonePack from my III to the FM9 and it seems to have worked great. The cabs are not set to Ultra Res, they default to standard I guess on FM9, that’s my lone quibble.

Any issues migrating FM3 AB bundles or FM3 factory or Axexhange presets to FM9 and vice-versa (at least presets on FM9 that are not dual amp)?

All my user presets from my FM3 seem to have transported over ok.
I did notice a delay parameter in one was off and I haven't had a chance to go through them all yet but I will have to check them one by one to be sure they are correct.
Still way better than having to build them all from scratch though.

All my user presets from my FM3 seem to have transported over ok.
I did notice a delay parameter in one was off and I haven't had a chance to go through them all yet but I will have to check them one by one to be sure they are correct.
Still way better than having to build them all from scratch though.
Hey Todd! Did you find you got the delay time cut in half when importing presets?
If so, think this is a known bug am sure will be fixed sometime soon.

Tagging @Admin M@

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought over the LiveGold TonePack from my III to the FM9 and it seems to have worked great. The cabs are not set to Ultra Res, they default to standard I guess on FM9, that’s my lone quibble.
There is a HUGE time-saving feature in FM9-Edit that you're going to want to know about.
I'll write it up, and I'll also show it to @Cooper Carter so he can make a quick video!

Hey Todd! Did you find you got the delay time cut in half when used with tap tempo tied presets?

Meaning, it shows 500ms in parenthesis tied to 120bpm tap tempo, but it really is 251ms (audio-wise) and you see that half value once you detach the tap tempo ot the delay time?

If so, think this is a known bug am sure will be fixed sometime soon.

Tagging @Admin M@
Now that you mention it I think your right. I think the time was supposed to be 416 ms and it was 208 ms.

Yep, all the patches I imported from my FM3 had the delay time cut in half. I just needed to go to each patch and double the time for each delay channel.
For me it was Tap tempo was attached so differrnt problem. Weirdly the longer my taps, the shorter the delay would get. Odd.

I've been trying to import a Mike Campbell preset written for AX3 to my FM9 without success. First it crashed FM9 Edit. Using the Manage Presets tools, it imports to almost 50% then nothing. Just goes away. Am I missing something? Or perhaps it's just not compatible?

I just received my FM9, and besides some crash issues with FM9-Edit, here's the issues I've noticed so far, when importing Axe-Fx III presets (which I want to do, instead of importing FM3 presets) :
  • Reverb block is initialized (default model, Medium Room, is selected and all parameters are at default settings, like mix at 20 %)
  • Phaser block is initialized
  • Parametric EQ block is initialized
  • In delay block, most often than not, Master Time is set to 25% instead of 100 %
  • In some presets, Multiband Comp was not correctly imported - in others, it was
I also noticed that my Factory Preset "Fremen's Mini Drones" was not sounding right at all, I made a fixed version, with some improvements, here it is. EDIT : that's because of conversion errors in the synth block too. Frequency was wrong, and Shift was set at +24 instead of 0

Attachments

• Fremen's Mini Drones.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom