AxeFXIII to FM-9 presets.

Can someone share how exactly to share transfer over the presets I made in AXE FX III to FM9?

Can someone share how exactly to share transfer over the presets I made in AXE FX III to FM9?
Okay...

First, make sure all of your III presets in the Cab block just use the first one or two IRs. The II Has four IR slots per channel, but the FM9 only has two. So a conversion will "cut" out the last two Cab IRs.

Next, if you use them, be aware some compressor types like the Studio FF./FB compressor are different on the III than the FM9, and you may need to adjust them.

That same thing is also true for the pitch block. It may not come over as you set it in the III.

Others have reported some reverb types (medium room?) import and revert to default mix % value rather than the one you saved in the III, so check that.

If a delay has a MASTER TEMPO parameter, it may go from 100% in the III to 25% in the FM9 due to a known bug. So you have to reset that back to 100%.

The way I convert presets from the III to the FM( is using the Preset Manager tool.

I launch the FM9-Edit Preset Manager, open the left side browser (Show/Hide), then pick from that left side menu drop down "Open Bank"

I point that to the saved Axe-FX III preset bank I want to convert. It then loads those into he left side (browser).

Then click the presets I want and drag them into the right side preset slots in the FM9 editor. Then I save. That's it!

Okay...

First, make sure all of your III presets in the Cab block just use the first one or two IRs. The II Has four IR slots per channel, but the FM9 only has two. So a conversion will "cut" out the last two Cab IRs.

Next, if you use them, be aware some compressor types like the Studio FF./FB compressor are different on the III than the FM9, and you may need to adjust them.

That same thing is also true for the pitch block. It may not come over as you set it in the III.

Others have reported some reverb types (medium room?) import and revert to default mix % value rather than the one you saved in the III, so check that.

If a delay has a MASTER TEMPO parameter, it may go from 100% in the III to 25% in the FM9 due to a known bug. So you have to reset that back to 100%.

The way I convert presets from the III to the FM( is using the Preset Manager tool.

I launch the FM9-Edit Preset Manager, open the left side browser (Show/Hide), then pick from that left side menu drop down "Open Bank"

I point that to the saved Axe-FX III preset bank I want to convert. It then loads those into he left side (browser).

Then click the presets I want and drag them into the right side preset slots in the FM9 editor. Then I save. That's it!
Thank you very much. I will give it a try here shortly. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Also found that you can use the import snap shot. I save a snapshot of my created preset in the Axe III and go to the FM9 edit go to presets, select import preset and find my snapshot.

Besides the issues mentioned by Buddy, I also experienced initialized PEQ and Multiband Compression blocks, and errors in Synth blocks/channel assignation through various scenes (the wrong channel is selected in some scenes). But this is not consistent for all presets. It's better to convert from FM3 presets, but personally, I consider my FM9 presets as slight downgrades (if any, depend on the III version complexity) from Axe-Fx III presets, not upgrades from FM3 presets, so I use the III version wherever I can.

A few things I thought were little bugs now seem to be working fine. Have ported a few hundred presets from III to FM9 and also tested FM3 to FM9 and all seems to be very smooth!
What’s the easiest way to port a preset over from axe 3 to fm 9? Just got my 9 last night and am having a few issues.

Quick question regarding importing presets; I saved a single preset from my Axe FX iii and then loaded it into the FM9 through the preset manager, but it didn't bring the cabinet with it. Is there a step I'm missing in that regard?

Quick question regarding importing presets; I saved a single preset from my Axe FX iii and then loaded it into the FM9 through the preset manager, but it didn't bring the cabinet with it. Is there a step I'm missing in that regard?
You can use "Export Preset+Cab Bundle" under the Preset menu, then "Import Preset" in FM9-Edit in the Preset menu and it should prompt you for the Cab slot for the IR.

Last edited:
You can use "Export Preset+Cab Bundle" under the Preset menu, then "Import Preset" in FM9-Edit in the Presets menu and it should prompt you for the Cab slot for the IR.
Thank you for the reply! I apologize; I should've note. I'm speaking in regards to the Axe Fx iii and Axe Edit III. I see that "Export Preset+Cab Bundle" option in the FM9 Edit, but not the Axe Edit III. Was that an update? I may be on an older Axe Edit. I'm on 1.09.02.

I noticed that when exporting a preset with 2 cabs, each containing 1 IR it clearly marks the IR's for export but only includes 1 of the IR's in the cab bundle. Clearly something is wrong ....

What slots are the IRs in?

The FM9 and FM3 only have 2 slots... If you're using 1 and 3 on the Axe Fx, for example, it would make sense that only 1 shows up.
Thanks, but that's not it. Export was on FM9, and I manually inspected the cab bundle which is just a zip-archive: it's just plain missing an IR that is referenced in the bundle manifest.

Thanks, but that's not it. Export was on FM9, and I manually inspected the cab bundle which is just a zip-archive: it's just plain missing an IR that is referenced in the bundle manifest.
In that case, I'd recommend posting an FM9-Edit bug.

This thread is only semi-relevant...

I have an Axe 3 mk 2 and I'm trying to download presets on Axe Exchange that are FM9 presets. Is there a way to do that?
Let's turn this around… what have you tried? Why didn't it work as you expected? What version of Edit and what firmware is on your FX3?

Edit on the FX3 is more than capable to import an FM9 preset.

Back
Top Bottom