AxeFX3/Views observations

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Ok, so I finally got off my duff and updated everything to the latest. AxeFX3 12.06b3, 1.11 FC, and AxeEdit 1.07. Started plunking around to check out the new Views thing.

Some may remember that my FC setup is a pair of FC6es on either side, with controller pedals in the middle, and I have a custom-built stand-in switch box in addition to the controller pedals which handles the functions that don't need a lit LED ring, like bank +/- and similar stuff.
20200101_172501.jpg

The new Views thing virtually eliminates the need for the external stand-in switch box. I can simply switch views on my left FC6 and get the switches that are assigned to the stand-ins right there on the FC. That means three less cables to deal with, as well as the theoretical ability to fit it all on a smaller board. Like a Layout switch, it's vital to put a pair of Views switches in there - one in each view - so you can toggle back and forth. Whether the Views can be triggered in addition to a regular switch action, similar to how Layout Links works, remains to be seen. If not, adding the ability to switch Views to the existing Layout Links would be a stellar add-on.

Another observation: the Views switch applies only to the FC on which it is placed. If I switch Views on the left FC, the right FC does not switch Views at the same time. I can add a separate Views switch on the right FC also, and switch them independently of one another. Very cool, though the ability to switch all could be a handy add-on capability in certain multi-FC setups, undoubtedly.

Will experiment more, but this is a REALLY FREAKING HUGE game changer that makes an FC6 virtually the equivalent of an FC12 in half the space.

Bravo, Fractal team, this one's a home run, not just out of the park, but out of the solar system....

I am already considering getting a Yamaha sustain pedal (or two) and a TRS <--> dual TS splitter, or one of the commercially-available dual switch boxes I have seen, and eliminating the big box. I can get a fourth controller pedal to take the place of the knob, I suppose....

Just noticed that a Hold Funcs switch on the Hold under a View switch does not seem to work as expected - i.e, the Hold functions are not displayed on the FCs. The switch label changes to say [Hold Funcs] as it ought to, but only that switch changes, and the rest remain on their tap switch labels and functions.

Confirmed that Hold Funcs works by using the Hold Funcs switch I have on the Hold function of the Tuner stand-in switch.

Bug? Dunno. @FractalAudio does this seem odd, or am I just not understanding the new Views functionality right?

Layout "Main 6a"

@Joe Bfstplk

I will talk to @BryantP about this. It might be a bug, or it may be a limitation of how "Show Hold Functions" works.
Thanks for the appreciation by the way. It means the world to know people appreciate our products.

My updated FC rig:
20200321_191547.jpg

Will probably add a double button switch - one button to swap Views on the Red FC, and maybe one to act as a "floater" stand-in switch. Dunno yet. Hasn't really sat long enough in the cobweb storage unit atop my neck yet.... :)

Will likely order an FC2 once all this virus stuff blows over, as the Boss is a bit large and bulky. :)

Also noticed a Views switch has no default LED color on the FC switch. I made mine the same as a Layout switch's default color, which, IIRC, is yellow.

Great rig, awesome..BTW, how does it sounds well your CPS?
Real stereo and/or 3D?... I ordered its small brother...Thanks!
Thanks!

It sounds amazing for short-delay effects like phaser, flange, chorus, and rotary. Very 3D sort of sound. I fade in my chorus with the controller pedal, and it goes from sounding like the guitar is coming out of the front speaker, very localized like a guitar amp, to sounding like it is everywhere in the room. Delays with ping-pong left/right seem to come from behind you to your left and right more than far left and far right, but it is a fair trade-off for the portability and 3D nature of the short-delay effects, as it still sounds like the delay repeats are coming from 'somewhere else' rather than from the same speaker as the original guitar.

When you say "views", are you talking about assigning a hold function (well, I guess it doesn't have to be a hold function...Could be just a normal tap) to one of the footswitches that switches to a different layout?

When you say "views", are you talking about assigning a hold function (well, I guess it doesn't have to be a hold function...Could be just a normal tap) to one of the footswitches that switches to a different layout?
Have you updated to the 12.06b3 beta? You won't see Views if you are on 12.03 or lower.
Views was imported from the FM3, and lets you use the unused 6 buttons on the FC6 as a second layout-within-a-layout.

Have you updated to the 12.06b3 beta? You won't see Views if you are on 12.03 or lower.
Views was imported from the FM3, and lets you use the unused 6 buttons on the FC6 as a second layout-within-a-layout.

Ahh...That explains it. Due to my gig schedule, I was a bit behind on FW updates. I went from 10.? right to 12.3, and then pretty quickly to 12.5. I missed the "Views" info in the release notes for 12.4. I was going through all the FC FW release notes and manual trying to figure out what you were talking about. Never thought to look back through the Axe release notes. Thanks man!

Back
Top Bottom