AxeFX3 <--> AxeEdit3 <--> Upcoming FCs: MIDI?

kartman

Inspired
My experience with FAS is that everything is well thought out and, as a result, is well engineered... Now that AxeEdit3 (beta) is out, I find myself scratching my head.

Is all the communication in an out of the AxeFX3 via MIDI over USB? If so, this seems odd to me and I'm hoping somebody can explain. When the AxeEdit3 is connected or FractalBot is communicating, the MIDI l/O indicator is lit solidly and these a proprietary tools.

Moving meters, multiple simultaneously connected control options (ie. front panel, AxeEdit, proprietary FCs, generic MIDI controllers), built in audio interface... I'm sure I'm not fully informed but I'd like to understand how is FAS using a 30-year old standard (MIDI) and a modern hi-speed bus (USB) to get all this done.

Maybe it's just me but it piques my curiosity when I see the MIDI light activated for anything other than generic MIDI inputs like a CC or PC. Maybe someone "in the know" can help to educate me?

Is all the communication in an out of the AxeFX3 via MIDI over USB? If so, this seems odd to me and I'm hoping somebody can explain. When the AxeEdit3 is connected or FractalBot is communicating, the MIDI l/O indicator is lit solidly and these a proprietary tools.

Yes. It's all MIDI sysex messages over USB.

The USB spec has a MIDI over USB class specification that defines all this. Note that it doesn't have to follow normal MIDI speeds.

What is the issue?

I didn't say there was an issue, did I? Sorry if that was implied... It just seemed odd to me that, when dealing with proprietary tools like FractalBot, AxeEdit, and the new FC controllers, FAS would choose MIDI...

I really want the FC controller, AxeEdit, and AxeFX3 unit to all stay in sync as changes are made in any of the 3 locations. I'm pretty sure I read that this was the intent in the new model (note: i could be wrong here as it was a forum post from before launch). We know this didn't really work perfectly by default in the AxeFX2 and I half expected the communication method to be changed in the new model.

Not bitching... no issues... Out of curiosity, just asking and trying to learn.

I didn't say there was an issue, did I? Sorry if that was implied... It just seemed odd to me that, when dealing with proprietary tools like FractalBot, AxeEdit, and the new FC controllers, FAS would choose MIDI...

I really want the FC controller, AxeEdit, and AxeFX3 unit to all stay in sync as changes are made in any of the 3 locations. I'm pretty sure I read that this was the intent in the new model (note: i could be wrong here as it was a forum post from before launch). We know this didn't really work perfectly by default in the AxeFX2 and I half expected the communication method to be changed in the new model.

Not bitching... no issues... Out of curiosity, just asking and trying to learn.
I believe (and I could absolutely be wrong) what has changed is that all of it is done within the Axe FX itself now, rather than having to program an MFC, it is all programmed on the Axe FX. So if you are on the road, and damage your FC, and need to have another one shipped to you, it should be plug and play ready, since all the info is contained within the Axe FX.

So if the 3 is communicating 2 way with axe edit now, maybe it will be enabled with other midi controllers soon

It just seemed odd to me that, when dealing with proprietary tools like FractalBot, AxeEdit, and the new FC controllers, FAS would choose MIDI...

I suspect it's because doing so makes FAS avoid having to write more USB drivers. Windows, OSX and Linux all support the USB-MIDI class specification out of the box.

I really want the FC controller, AxeEdit, and AxeFX3 unit to all stay in sync as changes are made in any of the 3 locations. I'm pretty sure I read that this was the intent in the new model (note: i could be wrong here as it was a forum post from before launch).
It is yeah: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...i-axe-fx-ii-vs-iii.134729/page-7#post-1592499

We know this didn't really work perfectly by default in the AxeFX2 and I half expected the communication method to be changed in the new model.

With Axe-Edit III beta, it works perfectly so far. I can edit in the Axe-Fx III and see the virtual knobs turn about the same time I'm turning the physical knobs in the unit. No weird pauses or anything.

Back
Top Bottom