AxeFX3 and tube amp purchases

BroKV

Inspired
Being that it is hard to try a lot of different tube amps and YouTube videos don’t always give the best performance of tube amp. Has anyone owned the AxeFX3 (or any Fractal) and found an amp they like that drove you to buy it?

The reason I ask, I’ve been using the Euro Uber which has made me want to buy an Uberschall. Not to replace the Axe, just to add to my collection. Was the decision good, bad, or indifferent?

Not me...I really like my sound and how it feels to play with my current rig - to me buying an amp would just take up space and I wouldn't have a reason to use it or spend the money on it. Reinforced lately playing some shows where I have to be on and off stage quick - set up and tear down of my rig is about 4-5 minutes. Actually having the Axe has made me retroactively wish I had gotten on board a long time ago and not gone through so many amps!

But, if you are someone that is a collector I could see wanting to own some of the real things too.

I sold all my tube amps, because they are also in the AxeFX and sound identical. I reinvested the money for a compact FM3 in addition to the AxeFX 3.

I loved my amps, but so far I did not regret my decision. I never had a better sound ... with way less effort and trouble.

I did exactly that with the Carol Ann Tucana. I used the Tucana model as my #1 patch for years in the Axe Fx 2, and it's still a favorite in the III, and so the chance to get one in real life popped up, so I nabbed it, as my first amp purchase in ages (probably a decade). The real one sounds spectacular, and it's an absolute beast. The model sounds dead on, I mean, right the heck on. I'm happy and grateful to have the real deal, but yea... it's occurred to me that it's just a luxury purchase, really... cause the tone is right there in the Axe.

With an Axe-Fx or any modeler for that matter the question is always going to be "connected into what?" Because Axe-Fx -> cab sims and FRFR is going to sound very close compared to tube amp -> loadbox -> cab sims and FRFR. But if you do the other way around and go Axe-Fx -> poweramp -> guitar cab the poweramp will be an important factor in how close it's going to sound like the real amp.

To me the Axe-Fx -> poweramp -> guitar cab setup is just not worth it because you lose a big versatility aspect, the cab. I find that many of the models will sound surprisingly similar if piped through a real guitar cab whereas with cab sims you tailor the cab to the amp, sort of like pairing the right speakers to a real amp. While a small FRFR won't sound like a roaring 4x12, it still is better at turning into different speaker models.

But by all means if you find a model in the Axe-Fx you like then the real deal might sound very close, taking into account Fractal does not model the same master volume tapers and uses idealized tapers for other controls so like for like settings are not likely to sound exact. As an example the Cornford MK50 model in the Axe-Fx is one of my favorites but having played the real deal, it was incredibly loud and just completely impractical for me. In a similar vein I don't see myself buying a Mesa Mark because I would have to compromise on the graphic EQ since you can't just flip a switch and choose a different setting like you can on an Axe-Fx.

But I got to say, there is something to seeing that tolexed box and having immediate, simple control over your settings. I really wish Axe-Fx had better MIDI knob controller support to make something like this work better.

With an Axe-Fx or any modeler for that matter the question is always going to be "connected into what?" Because Axe-Fx -> cab sims and FRFR is going to sound very close compared to tube amp -> loadbox -> cab sims and FRFR. But if you do the other way around and go Axe-Fx -> poweramp -> guitar cab the poweramp will be an important factor in how close it's going to sound like the real amp.

To me the Axe-Fx -> poweramp -> guitar cab setup is just not worth it because you lose a big versatility aspect, the cab. I find that many of the models will sound surprisingly similar if piped through a real guitar cab whereas with cab sims you tailor the cab to the amp, sort of like pairing the right speakers to a real amp. While a small FRFR won't sound like a roaring 4x12, it still is better at turning into different speaker models.

But by all means if you find a model in the Axe-Fx you like then the real deal might sound very close, taking into account Fractal does not model the same master volume tapers and uses idealized tapers for other controls so like for like settings are not likely to sound exact. As an example the Cornford MK50 model in the Axe-Fx is one of my favorites but having played the real deal, it was incredibly loud and just completely impractical for me. In a similar vein I don't see myself buying a Mesa Mark because I would have to compromise on the graphic EQ since you can't just flip a switch and choose a different setting like you can on an Axe-Fx.

But I got to say, there is something to seeing that tolexed box and having immediate, simple control over your settings. I really wish Axe-Fx had better MIDI knob controller support to make something like this work better.
I currently run AxeFX3 > Matrix > 2 Xitone passive wedges in FRFR mode. If I did buy a tube amp it would be in addition to what I have and used separately. Money, space and volume are not concerns of mine. Realistically it’s just a luxury purchase as Adman103 said.

Nope. The Axe III has given me amps that I wanted to buy, wanted to try and others I could only dream of owning. All without the hassle of failing power tubes and the yearning for more pedals. Not to mention it's much easier on the back.

I love the Axe FX III, and bought a Revv Generator 100R. I love Revv and also wanted a good tube head to do pedal and other videos with. Also the Revv isnt in the Axe fx (yet) So it sorta made sense lol.

I sold my BE-50 because quite frankly, the Friedman models in the Axe III are the best out there. It was so close that keeping the amp was redundant for me. Same was with the JP-2C that I had. Same can be said for the JVM410HJS. Love that amp!

You will find a great number of people who purchased Tube amps after playing the models here.

Some keep them, but most miss the options you have in the Axe.

But I still want a Blues Jr. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom