AxeFx2 with studio monitors

smitco

Inspired
Hi guys I have a question, im using my axefx in my studio with a set of Yamaha ns 50 monitors and to me its hard to get the tone I want they are a very flat speaker, now would I be better off with a set of monitors (bigger speakers) or using a sub woofer as well, im guesing the sub isn't as important due to the frequency range. I just seem to be finding it hard getting the tones I want, Im playing metal music.
Maybe im just doing my ears in from being in front of computer too long.

Do you mean HS50s ?

What tuning are you using ? The sub may give more of a bottom end response if you are doing down tuned stuff.

yes hs50's sorry im tuned to b, it seems to be that bottom end area i have the most trouble with, I use emg 81 pickups .60 strings. I always have a problem in that area and find I have to cut the shit out of 180-200hz or turn my bass right down on my amp sims

I was just doing some reading on the wiki forums, I have been using my axefx with the rear input, wiki states that it is not optimized for guitar and I should be using the front input :)

The difference between front and rear (inputs) is subtle ;)
However you might try a multiband compressor, only compressing basses, in order to tame the basses on your bottom end area.

yes hs50's sorry im tuned to b, it seems to be that bottom end area i have the most trouble with, I use emg 81 pickups .60 strings. I always have a problem in that area and find I have to cut the shit out of 180-200hz or turn my bass right down on my amp sims

The HS10 sub has the following specs if its useful. I was considering one as I on occasion play bass through the Axe FX.

Power amp output: 150 watts
Frequency Response (+/-3 dB): 30 Hz - 180 Hz
Special Features: None
Connections: XLR and ¼ " jack
Dimensions: 300 x 386 x 350 mm
Weight: 12,5 kg

I see you seem to be getting better results now out of the Front input.

thanks guys, yeah I think I may go the sub, I was thinking about using a multi band compressor at the start or end of my chain?

Make sure you're not cutting the bass on the back of the power amp of the HS50ms. There's a room control setting which decreases bass, as well as the 80hz and 100hz low cut . To use them to their full extent make sure you don't have anything cut ie flat response.

Keep in mind the speakers may be flat, but you'll be hearing exactly what the axe fx 2 is producing. So if you don't like the tone you may need to switch things up in the blocks

Make sure you're not cutting the bass on the back of the power amp of the HS50ms. There's a room control setting which decreases bass, as well as the 80hz and 100hz low cut . To use them to their full extent make sure you don't have anything cut ie flat response.

Keep in mind the speakers may be flat, but you'll be hearing exactly what the axe fx 2 is producing. So if you don't like the tone you may need to switch things up in the blocks

ok thanks, I always have them on the flat settings :)

Back
Top Bottom