AXeFX2 Vs AX8 and CPU question

Is it fair to assume that my axefx presets that go over 50% cpu usage will not be usable on an AX8?
Is this the general logic?

Trying to figure if I can use ax8 for some gigs.
Cheers

it not working like that.

you need to think what effect you will use,the quality you use them Mono\Stereo and take AMB and CAB out of the equation.

the AX8 was never said to have 1/2 the CPU availability of the Axe-Fx II. i think this concept is completely erroneous.

guys, the thing isn't even released yet and we don't know many details. don't limit your thoughts about it at all yet.

8 to 10 blocks in a typical preset plus amp and cab, was mentioned IIRC.

Sounds like that could cover most anything?

the AX8 was never said to have 1/2 the CPU availability of the Axe-Fx II. i think this concept is completely erroneous.

guys, the thing isn't even released yet and we don't know many details. don't limit your thoughts about it at all yet.

You're right, I was just trying to get some vague idea. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Plus the cab block is handled by it's own "accelerator" in the AX8 and does not use the effects CPU.

One amp block, one cab block. Beyond that, we don't know enough about it to speculate.

I think you can get an idea from the fx8 threads, from what I've read they hit the cpu limit with a combination of effects that on the axe would use roughly around 60-65% of the cpu (I think)
If you add to that the advantage of having the accelerator dedicated to the cab block in the ax8, the difference with the axe is not that much after all.. In a patch with a stereo ultrares cab I believe you might load just a couple more blocks on the axe

Just speculating ;)

I think you can get an idea from the fx8 threads, from what I've read they hit the cpu limit with a combination of effects that on the axe would use roughly around 60-65% of the cpu (I think)

Cliff mentioned recently that the next FW update for the FX-8 will address the CPU limit issues...

Cliff mentioned recently that the next FW update for the FX-8 will address the CPU limit issues...
Yeah but I think the improvement will still be proportional to the axe. It would be interesting if someone who has an fx8 could create a chart similar to what chris did for the axe, we would have a more precise way to compare the two units

It's an interesting question I hadn't thought about. A couple of comparisons could be done by someone with a FX8 and a gull Axe. (Ethomas or Chris... :)). Or maybe using Chris' chart. Load a single block like a delay or a hi rez reverb in the FX8 and see how much cpu % is taken. Compare to Chris' chart or the same block on a full afx. This all assumes the usage will be similar on FX8 and AX8.

perhaps, but it could be completely different for the AX8 so it might be a waste of time until the AX8 is actually in someone's hands.

i would also wait on making the FX8 CPU chart until the CPU reductions head its way.

Back
Top Bottom