AXEFX2 thin sounding through poweramp...any suggestions.

schlagdog

Inspired
Axefx2 seems to sound ok when I record with it but through my Recto 2:100 poweramp it is weak sauce. I've turned poweramp sims off and on and tried all I can think of. It's just thin and digital sounding and honestly sounds pretty bad compared to my real tube amps. Bad enough where it makes me think of selling it. Any suggestions on making it not so thin sounding. I ran through every high gain model and they are all equally thin thin thin.

Not that this would really address thiness but are you running the latest firmware 3.04.

As for thinness there are many ways to skin that cat.

1. Add more depth in the amp sim
2. Run a peq low shelf boost at around 120hz right after the amp sim.
3. Go in the advanced amp parameters and boost the low frequency resonance.
4. Start playing with the GEQ inside the amp sim and see what you can do.

A couple of other things to check.
1. Make sure you input level on the front on the Axefx is just barely tickling the red LEDs so you get the best tone and the least noise from your guitar signal.
2. Go under utilities and check your output level meter. If it seems you aren't close to clipping bump up the output volume in your presets to get a stronger output signal to your power amp.
3. Crank the output master knob on the front all the way it should be at 100% unless you have a reason not to. 100% is unity gain so don't think it's going blow the doors off anything lol

Good luck!

There's plenty of ways to beef up tone don't worry you'll get there.

Reactions: jon
Can you define "thin and digital?" Do you mean weak mids? Weak bass? Poor dynamics? Low effects? Or...?

Can you define "thin and digital?" Do you mean weak mids? Weak bass? Poor dynamics? Low effects? Or...?

It's just thin. It lacks the mid range roundness I get from my real amps. It just sounds the same as when I tried running my old podxt live through and amp years ago and scrapped it. Just all around digital sounding with no guts.

It's just thin. It lacks the mid range roundness I get from my real amps. It just sounds the same as when I tried running my old podxt live through and amp years ago and scrapped it. Just all around digital sounding with no guts.
Wow...you're the first person I've heard who reported that it's harder to get a good tone through a power amp than going direct. What cab are you using?

If a lack of mid range roundness means that the mids are weak, the amp sim gives you a couple of options to boost them (amp tone controls and in-amp GEQ). There are also GEQ, PEQ and filters available outside the amp sim. It may mean that bass and/or treble is too hot; you have even more in-amp options to tame that problem. If mid range roundness means something else, then I haven't heard you correctly, and I need more information.

It's hard to interpret what "digital-sounding" means. Different people have different ideas about that, and digital doesn't have a sound (example: no one complains that the audio in a movie theater sounds digital, but it is digital).

Last edited:
Did you adjust your presets for the poweramp/guitarcab?
Presets finetuned for studio monitors/frfr/recording may not sound great when played through a poweramp / guitar cabinet.
Can you post a preset?
What are the Global and I/O settings?

Add less gain.. I'v noticed its very easy to overgain stuff with the AFX. It will loose allot of organic feel and 3D effect.

Cab being used with the power amp?
Also, if you have at least one other head for comparison, grabbing a mic and mic preamp and recording a few takes for comparison would help immensely. I would keep the power amp sims in the Axe ON. Why? Because that 2:100 is one damn loud amp, and no way will you push those 6L6 tubes hard enough to warm things up at bedroom volume... or even garage volume. 6L6's are cleaner power tubes at anything but "pushing it" volumes, and while you will get some "warmth," you are not going to hit sweet spots with 4 of those tubes (per side) at anything but roaring.. and I mean roaring! stage volume. IMO, of course ;) The power section of the Amp Block can be tailored to compensate for this "cleaner 6L6" tube-ness if the Axe sound is at least decent to begin with. Get (at least) part way there with the power amp sim active, then tailor. If that does not do it..

If you have a head or heads, please also list (at least) one that sounds really good. Have you run another preamp through the 2:100? If yes, which one? Settings on everything please?

The Axe can simply "not click" (right away, or at all) for some people. Some require a bit of time doing some tweaks, and these can be very minor ones. The psychological angle should not be entirely dismissed either IMO. There are enough knowledgeable people here who can, and are willing to, assist you with this. If you do not mind a bit of work, and giving this some time and real effort, it is entirely likely it will be resolved. If it seems a lost cause, then the psychological + emotional aspect is likely playing a heavy part, and it might be a matter of simply taking a step back for a day.. or, sell and move on. Once again though, there are people who are very capable and able to provide help, though it will take some effort :D

Cab being used with the power amp?

If you have a head or heads, please also list (at least) one that sounds really good. Have you run another preamp through the 2:100? If yes, which one? Settings on everything please?

The Axe can simply "not click" (right away, or at all) for some people. Some require a bit of time doing some tweaks, and these can be very minor ones. The psychological angle should not be entirely dismissed either IMO. There are enough knowledgeable people here who can, and are willing to, assist you with this. If you do not mind a bit of work, and giving this some time and real effort, it is entirely likely it will be resolved. If it seems a lost cause, then the psychological + emotional aspect is likely playing a heavy part, and it might be a matter of simply taking a step back for a day.. or, sell and move on. Once again though, there are people who are very capable and able to provide help, though it will take some effort :D

Mesa Triple Rec, Randall Rm100 with every mts module, Peavey 6505+, Peavet Xxx, and L6 Vetta head and my main cab is a Randall Warhead with V30's. I'm trying to downsize with the AXEFX2 and the Mesa 2:100 and not having luck yet. I actually don't like the way the AXEFX sounds through any of my heads power sections either. Its missing the rounder mids the other amps have. At this point my Vetta head eats it for lunch through a cab. I'll tinker more with it tomorrow night and do some more A/B'ing.

I'd echo the recommendation to try power amp sims on (leaving cabs off).

+1 I don't know if it's just me but the Axe FX II is lacking some warmth that the Ultra had. I'm having a much harder time getting a sound I like with the II compared to the Ultra. I'm chasing huge, crushing yet warm tones. I'm getting close to my original Ultra sound but it's taken a lot of work!

Don't know if anyone said it but be sure you don't have a cab block in the chain. And turn off all effects when you are dialing in your amp tone. I find presence is your best friend to get the AxeII to really shine. Lastly try the modern voicing.

Gotta be careful with that Presence though as it can make tones turn to icepicks too. I usually tweak that when you need some more cut in a band scenario.

In global settings, crank the output gain to plus 12. Crank the volume on your power amp. Ride the volume from the physical output knobs. I find you need the axe to put out a lot of headroom volume to feed a power amp properly. If you peak, use the amp blocks volume (not master) to lower the output.

Are you running two different amp/cab blocks and not panning them wide in the Axe [cos they may be phasing]?

Back
Top Bottom