AxeFX2 Emulator?

kartman

Inspired
If there is CPU available and translating between AxeFX2 and AxeFX3 blocks/presets is an issue for end users, I've been wondering about an AxeFX2 mode... I realize this may be a ton of work and seems silly for those looking for a new platform. If you want an XL+, buy one. If you want an AxeFX3, buy one. Right? Own both?

Until we see what FracTool (or AxeEdit) can do to bridge between these architectures, it'd be cool to be able to flip to "AxeFX2" mode and open older presets directly in the new unit.

Just dreaming a bit! Excited about new unit!

Emulator or translator?

Well... I'm just dreaming and FAS may be laughing their collective asses of reading this... :) I'm talking EMULATOR. The old and new units are completely different so TRANSLATION may impossible or maybe even undesirable. The idea would be just opening and using the existing resources we already have.

Translation can come later via FAS or 3rd party tools or via hard work from end users reconstructing their patches/sounds.

In the meantime, my idea is just the concept of easily opening and using. Nothing more.

Kind of like how Windows 10 can function if needed in Windows 7 or WIndows XP mode for older software?
Great idea, but it never worked for shit. LOL.

In the meantime, my idea is just the concept of easily opening and using. Nothing more.

To respond to my own post, you can have the perfect 'emulator' for the low price of not selling your AxeFX2 or buying a used one to share the rack with your shiny new AxeFX3! :)

The underlying idea here is that there are tons of good AxeFX2 resources out there... paid-patches, personal-patches, blocks, etc. As the AxeFX3 community ramps up, I'm just hoping there is a way to keep a foot in both camps without needing to own both units. 1st world problems though.

In this case I do think keeping old gear for old presets makes sense. I still wish PS4 had PS3 emulation/compatibility though...

My guess would be that if it was going to have an 'Axe 2' mode, then it would likely house 2 components of Firmware...similar to a dual boot computer.

Trying to keep creating code for the III, while having to keep in mind that the code needs to be able to always revert back to Axe 2 quality, would not be logical. If I was in FAS shoes, I would find that limiting and a waste of time/resources.

With such an increase in the hardware specs, and the ability to break through barriers they may currently face on the Axe 2 hardware, would lead me to believe their is no value in looking back. Full speed ahead!

I thought Cliff said they redid the algorithms and had new architecture. If that’s true it likely won’t be possible.
I have faith in Al. Never you mind about what is possible. Everything is possible. Reading a block in Axe-FX III language and then writing a block in Axe-FX II language is such an impossibility?

Reading a block in Axe-FX III language and then writing a block in Axe-FX II language is such an impossibility?

I can’t speak as to whether or not it’s an impossibility or not because I don’t know the architecture involved but even if it is possible, ultimately it comes down to resources for supporting both formats and the returns on the investment of creating an infrastructure/process of supporting both formats. Very few tech companies can or will do that indefinitely...so hiring extra people to develop for and support a product that will ultimately have an end of life date and that is no longer generating revenue for the company just doesn’t make a lot of sense...especially when they have a new format that is in demand.

I can kind of understand what you are looking for on this, but it just seems like a preset conversion utility would be a lot easier to build, have less overhead on the resources, and be more effective overall. It just seems like any time you add a layer of code to emulate other code you're opening up all kinds of room for additional errors and slowing the process.

My assumption (and plan) is that when I get my AxeFX III, I'll rebuild all of my patches from scratch. In fact, I recommend doing this yearly. When I have a break from gigging / touring, I spend a week creating completely new versions of my patches, and then A / B them against the previous versions. I almost always prefer the new version, which suggests that I'm getting better at designing my sounds, and that I'm finding new amp models (often in new FW updates) that are superior to what I had been using before.

I had a show last night, and used my trusty amazing AxeFX II XL. Many people in our audience are musicians, and I had a bunch of people talk to me after the show, who wanted to say that they enjoyed the tone of the guitar. That's a super big compliment, and says something about how well the AxeFX translates to the board in such a complex mix.

So, yes, it might be handy to have a translation utility for AxeFX II to AxeFX III patch conversion, I am also looking forward to exploring the sonic capabilities of the new system.

My assumption (and plan) is that when I get my AxeFX III, I'll rebuild all of my patches from scratch. In fact, I recommend doing this yearly. When I have a break from gigging / touring, I spend a week creating completely new versions of my patches, and then A / B them against the previous versions. I almost always prefer the new version, which suggests that I'm getting better at designing my sounds, and that I'm finding new amp models (often in new FW updates) that are superior to what I had been using before.

I had a show last night, and used my trusty amazing AxeFX II XL. Many people in our audience are musicians, and I had a bunch of people talk to me after the show, who wanted to say that they enjoyed the tone of the guitar. That's a super big compliment, and says something about how well the AxeFX translates to the board in such a complex mix.

So, yes, it might be handy to have a translation utility for AxeFX II to AxeFX III patch conversion, I am also looking forward to exploring the sonic capabilities of the new system.

Totally agree with this.
Not only am I looking forward to exploring new things in the Axe III....I wouldn't be buying it if I wasn't expecting it to outperform the Axe 2.

Burn the boats....no turning back.

Back
Top Bottom