Which one is AxeFx and whick one is Amplitube 3

• First Section is AxeFx

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • First Section is Amplitube 3

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lucbl3

Okay that's a tough blind test. I tone Matched Amplitube's Orange Rockerverb with moderate gain and stock EQ settings. A 4x12 Cab Amplitube's Cabinet was used. They sound almost identical, but I like AxeFx's tone a bit more (seems less compressed, I don't know, more alive). If I didn't tone matched, i guess the upperhand would go to AxeFx, since I couldn't tune a good full sounding edge of breakup overdrive from Amplitube's RV50. This is where, in my opinion, the AxeFx shines, on all amp sims, the edge of breakup and slight overdriven tones. But Amplitube 3 sure is an astonishing modeling VST, maybe one of the best out there.

Well, enough with the chit-chat. Try to discover which one is which. The change happens at 0:08

Thanks for you time and effort in making these comparisons,

However must admit, i'm not really interested in the whole which is the axeFx which is the FlubberDirkEasyBakeOvenSoftware comparisons anymore, they are too simplistic, and give unreal expectations of what the axeFx does and what these toys cant

Honestly i didn't mean to be rude, just saying

I must agree with you. I was just blown away by how good Amplitube 3 sounds. I was used to Guitar Rig 5 before. The comparison was just to show it can get pretty similar to the AxeFx (At least in high gain scenarios).

I'll bite... I happen to LIKE Amplitube 3. The biggest trick in working with it is getting a decent signal in. I use the UAD Apollo Twin and use the 610B preamp model to send to Amplitube. Totally opens up the sound. Blending in the room mics helps a lot, too.

My guess is that the first 8 seconds is Amplitude 3, and the rest is Axe. The second part seemed to have a complex set of overtones that made the first clip sound a bit flat in the low end. Bring in some of the room mics on the Amplitube 3, and they'd probably be indistinguishable.

However must admit, i'm not really interested in the whole which is the axeFx which is the FlubberDirkEasyBakeOvenSoftware comparisons anymore, they are too simplistic, and give unreal expectations of what the axeFx does and what these toys can't

Yeah I agree. Amplitube can get, idk, 80%, 90% there, tonewise. But add all the pristine FX, the 200+ amps, the endless possibilities of routing, the improved drive pedals, pristine A/D converter, Tone match, capture IR and the capability of loading tons of your own IRs and the AxeFx really makes Amplitube be a toy.

I'll bite... I happen to LIKE Amplitube 3. The biggest trick in working with it is getting a decent signal in. I use the UAD Apollo Twin and use the 610B preamp model to send to Amplitube. Totally opens up the sound. Blending in the room mics helps a lot, too.

My guess is that the first 8 seconds is Amplitude 3, and the rest is Axe. The second part seemed to have a complex set of overtones that made the first clip sound a bit flat in the low end. Bring in some of the room mics on the Amplitube 3, and they'd probably be indistinguishable.
After you posted this I tried to open the room mics (since I got them muted) and that helped a lot. I'm still trying though to get a creamy sound out of Amplitube RV50. I guess most of it is IR fault. Is there a way to load custom IR into amplitube?
Still there are some complex overtones on the "dry" Amp->Cab sound produced by AxeFx that I can't listen anywhere else (except maybe Kemper and a real tube amp).
Will make a future test, plugging both into my Matrix and an Orange 2x12 to test the feel of both!

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk

Seriously... you have created a tone with Amplitube and then tonametched it with Axe-Fx? What's the point of making such comparisons? It's kinda like comparing Ferrari to tractor at 15 mph, don't you think?
No offence, but I'm wondering what's going to be next... 8-bit Atari 800XL? ;)

Seriously... you have created a tone with Amplitube and then tonametched it with Axe-Fx? What's the point of making such comparisons? It's kinda like comparing Ferrari to tractor at 15 mph, don't you think?
No offence, but I'm wondering what's going to be next... 8-bit Atari 800XL? ;)
Just trying to slow down the Ferrari to give a chance to the competition haha.
Seriously though, it was also good to show how accurate tone match can be. The tone I was getting without tone match was "better" (at least to my ears), but completely different (I was using the RedWirez 4x12 Citrus Mix Cab) which is way closer to an Orange Rockerverb 50 I used to own.
Still interesting how AxeFx can tone match with extreme accuracy.
It was not a serious test. I was just having some fun with amplitube 3.

The funny side of things is, that we talking about two companies making their interpretation of virtual fingerprints of tube amps. We're not even talking about the real amp, I doubt most never played a real one either. To be honest (and also no offense) the clip doesn't show these fingerprints in a dynamic contest. So speaking if overtones and details is not really the key here.....

The funny side of things is, that we talking about two companies making their interpretation of virtual fingerprints of tube amps. We're not even talking about the real amp, I doubt most never played a real one either. To be honest (and also no offense) the clip doesn't show these fingerprints in a dynamic contest. So speaking if overtones and details is not really the key here.....
Yes, but like I said before, I was just having some fun. Just bought amplitube 3, and was messing around. Couldn't get a cool creamy edge of break tone with it so I went to a heavier solution.

And also like I said, I used to own a RV50, that I mic'ed all the time to record guitar parts for other bands. The original amp mic'ed and the AxeFx model with cab number 053 (which is identical to the cab I used to own) with a virtual 57 and 121 (mixed in cablab) sounds spot on to me. So I can say Fractal interpretation of Orange's Rockerverb fingerprint is spot on. Again, at least to my ears. Period. Not trying to have a really serious talk here. People don't need to be so tense about it. Just enjoy everything this wonderful machine can do! [emoji4]

Just bought amplitube 3, and was messing around.

You had an Axe-Fx already and you bought Amplitube 3? IMHO, you wasted your money.

I used to have an Axe-Fx Standard and MFC. I ended up selling them for financial reasons. Later on, about a couple years ago, I bought Amplitube 3 during their Olympic group buy. So, I got pretty much all the packs free and the one I paid for dirt cheap.

I wasn't that thrilled with Amplitube. Some time went by and Johnny A. had just finished recording his latest album (Driven) and was selling his Axe-Fx II, so I bought it from him at a really good price.

Once I got to hear the difference side-by-side, I never used Amplitube again. It sounds fake, muffled and lifeless.

I hate hate hate how all of the cheapo modelers handle the high end. It's clearly audible as a messy wall of noise in your clip, and I was able to identify it as a blind test before looking at which was which. Certain other "high end" modelers (let's just say units that cost more than the HD Pro X) also have the problem, in different ways. I'm baffled when people think that these things sound like tube amps. Usable, sure, but not like amps.

Lol, I tried the demo for 5 minutes and I just laughed. It was the Soldano model and it was complete garbage. Deleted it all immediately.

I own Amplitube 3 since prior to getting the AFX. It blows. It's not even a great plugin.

You can do good recordings with all kinds of gear and know how. Heck you could do it with the POD2. I wouldn't recommend AT3 to anyone. It is usable but there is so much that is better out there for comparable cost.

I own Amplitube 3 since prior to getting the AFX. It blows. It's not even a great plugin.
Exactly. It's nowhere near even compared to POD Farm, not to mention BIAS Amp. I've used all of them for daily practicing (when I didn't felt like firing up my rack rig) prior to Axe-Fx purchase. In my opinion only Guitar Rig and ReValver are worse than Amplitube, even shareware plugins like LePou/LeCab are superior to AT3...

They sound identical to me. It's a just matter of time before our phones can do anything and everything and yet, we still have no flying cars or jetpacks!

Lol, I tried the demo for 5 minutes and I just laughed. It was the Soldano model and it was complete garbage. Deleted it all immediately.

Ha- yeah . I tried Amplitude before I got my Axe- Fx. It was hell just getting it to work and once I got it working sounded really bad plus the latency was just awful. Maybe user error IDk. I actually got some decent usable tones out of POD Farm though.

I hate hate hate how all of the cheapo modelers handle the high end. It's clearly audible as a messy wall of noise in your clip, and I was able to identify it as a blind test before looking at which was which. Certain other "high end" modelers (let's just say units that cost more than the HD Pro X) also have the problem, in different ways. I'm baffled when people think that these things sound like tube amps. Usable, sure, but not like amps.
Curious then what you think is the Axe and what is Amplitube in the sound sample. I have been doing some blind tests on a totally different product that is not audio related and it is interesting to me how people respond in a blind test vs when they know what the products they are testing.

Back
Top Bottom