AxeFx: Standard vs AxeFx II

hobbes1

Inspired
Out of curiosity, for those that have OWNED both, would you say that the original standard is just a pale shadow of the current iteration of the Axe-Fx? Or, would you say that the Standard is still awesome but maybe only, say, 90% (or 75%?) of the level of awesomeness of the current Axe-Fx Mark II?

I'm interested but not convinced I'm ready to drop >$1k on a modeler such as the AX8 or the Big Boy and wonder how the old Standard holds up against the current generation (even against the Helix and Amplifire).

Thanks

I have an Axe FX Mk II and an XL+ - Audibly, they seem identical - They both have simillar feature sets although of course the XL+ has more room for presets and cabs. The XL+ has a slightly brigter screen. As a musician, you can treat them the same as they'll both give you what you're after with the current firmware. The decision to not have interchangeable presets, or at least a converter is (IMHO) shortsighted and needs to be addressed. That's just my take on it.

Thanks
Pauly

Well, I've gotten something like 15 major updates and probably 20 minor updates, including the nice surprise of Q1.03 last night on my AxeFx II, and I'm sure there are still plenty more coming in the future. When was the last time the Standard got a firmware update........

Out of curiosity, for those that have OWNED both, would you say that the original standard is just a pale shadow of the current iteration of the Axe-Fx? Or, would you say that the Standard is still awesome but maybe only, say, 90% (or 75%?) of the level of awesomeness of the current Axe-Fx Mark II?

I'm interested but not convinced I'm ready to drop >$1k on a modeler such as the AX8 or the Big Boy and wonder how the old Standard holds up against the current generation (even against the Helix and Amplifire).

Thanks
I believe you are referring to the original Axe Fx standard, the one that came before the Ultra. This may not be what you are looking for, but I came in on the Ultra which shared preset data but had a few more bells and whistles over the Standard.

As someone who played the Ultra for a year, then moved to the Axe Fx II, then the XL+, I would say the Standard is by comparison a shadow of the current units. A nice shadow, not a "pale" shadow, but a shadow nonetheless. Still sounds great, but in all areas of capability/sound/connections/interfaces/software has been completely eclipsed by the newest units. I don't think that makes the unit garbage or anything, it still kicks ass on much of what is out there and, when you get down to it, a good sound is a good sound. But there is no point in comparing the two, there has just been too much ground covered since that unit came out.

Same shape, similar look, but eclipsed behind the bigger item... a shadow.

@lqdsnddist :

yes. that's true. not what I'm asking though.
I simply wanted to know if, by jumping into the Fractal world by buying a used Standard as the first Fractal product, I'm really doing myself a disservice. I've been loosely following Fractal since day 1 of the Standard and wondered how the old tech stands up to the new tech. Obviously there have been improvements.

@pauly

Thank you but what I was actually looking for was how the AxeFx Standard, the original Fractal product, holds up against the later generations.

the standard/ultra are both fantastic units that will rise above every other digital unit except the kemper. The axe 2 is an amp in my opinion and is in another league entirely. just my opinion. However I have never played a kemper and I am sure they are good also.

I simply wanted to know if, by jumping into the Fractal world by buying a used Standard as the first Fractal product, I'm really doing myself a disservice. I've been loosely following Fractal since day 1 of the Standard and wondered how the old tech stands up to the new tech. Obviously there have been improvements.
I get what you are saying. There's no clearer answer, short of you playing them, than the old unit is good, the new unit is better. Good means good. The standard is a good piece of equipment that can be had for half or less of a new XL+ and was the best there was at the time. That said, if you can afford a newer unit, I say get the newer unit. The IIs (all variants) are still being developed and supported with new firmware. The last firmware for the Standard and Ultra came out May 9, 2011. New firmware for the AFX II series? This week.

I think you might as well save your pennies and get an Axe-FX II of some kind. You may be able to find a crazy deal online if you know where to look. I got mine for $1300 from a guy on Craigslist on the other side of the country. Most people are willing to ship if you can prove you're legit. But besides the way better amp modeling and effects, Axe-Edit on the II is really useful and stable vs on the Standard and Ultra where it would always crash and mess up.

Ahh.... In that case..
Pony up!.... Spend the money.. get a Mk II or XL+. It will be a decision that (though sometimes hard because of the $$$) you will never regret.

Pauly

@pauly

Thank you but what I was actually looking for was how the AxeFx Standard, the original Fractal product, holds up against the later generations.

the Standard is a great product but only progressed so far.

the Axe-Fx II line is way ahead and all the current development and updates are there, so i would say get a II of some sort if you can.

I have both and actually only use the standard for live use (power amp/cab). I basically have it dialed in for the couple of sounds I use - just a couple of variations of a cleanish vox/telecaster sound with a couple of drive options (I should just get an ac30!). I am always very happy with it live. I have tried the II live/rehearsals, but I find I am just trying to dial it in exactly as I have the standard...and I never quite get it the same, so I have the II set up for home use & recording - where it kills. I use the II for bass gigs though - I've had infinitely better results for live bass out of the II

I have been into digital modellers since the Hughes and Kettner zenTera. I used to say that playing the zenTera was being in the room with a decent example of a classic amp, and that the Axe FX Standard/Ultra was like being in the room with a good example when I first got one. Well, the Axe FX II initial experience was more of playing an excellent example of a classic, and it has only gone up from there.

The AxeFx Standard has it's own great 'unique' sound but nowhere near as authentic, expressive or flexible as the AxeFx II.

@lqdsnddist :

Thats the point though... not only is the Axe FX II still supported and will continue to be supported, but its also been continually improved, with more and more amp models, new fx, tons of improvements in the amp modeling technology etc.

Axe -FX II with firmware, lets say 5.0, sounded so totally different than each firmware, and even now, the G3 modeling vs the Quantum modeling, vs the Firmware 18 and 19 etc.

Each new version is more of an evolution than the last, but when something has been through 21 evolutions compared to a product at its final development, it really does add up to a revolutionary difference.

This isn't to say the standard is a bad product, still can make good music with it, but since the Axe II has continued to progress, it is now a night and day difference (IMHO)

Thanks

I sold my Standard and bought a II in order to participate in the technology Cliff was developing. As an Engineer who worked in DSP, and a guitar lover, it has been a blast. The II is extraordinary. However, I personally could live quite happily with my old Standard and if my II fails, I would not hesitate to replace it with a used Standard.

YMMV etc.
boogie

If you are used to playing tube amps you want the Axe Fx II.

Thanks, all who answered so far.
I've played a variety of tube amps but past couple years....just a pod hd500. My last tube amp to go was the DT25. So, for me, the Standard might well be all the upgrade I need for now. Am considering the AX8 though for the latest tech and the form factor. Just not certain I want to drop $1400 plus a vol. pedal.....

You will do yourself a gigantic disservice by getting a standard. It was lovely unit for its time, but the Axe II is light years better. It's not even a comparison. I kick myself for not upgrading sooner. You can find used Mark I's for around $1500. At that price this is an absolute no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom