AxeFx Power Down creates havoc on USB bus

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
I have had kind of an oddity w.r.t. my AxeFx 2 mk II for a long time. I frequently use it with a Macbook Pro and Thunderbolt display (which has an internal USB hub) system.

Generally when I power up the AxeFx it is not a problem but when I power it down, it can create chaos on the other USB devices; I.e. some disconnect/dismount spuriously when the AxeFx powers down (a little scary for disk drives, etc).

Given how expensive that display is and the fact that the hub functionality is critical to that setup and I have some expensive peripherals, I isolated the AxeFx on a hub. Well, even on the hub it was messing with other devices.

So I finally got a hub only for the AxeFx and it is the only device I connect to that hub. This has virtually solved it like 99.9% of the time. So I sort of stopped thinking about it... But just today, on powering it down it disconnected the keyboard and external drive connected into the hub built in the keyboard. And I got to thinking that this must be sending some serious spike down the USB bus or something to disconnect a device located on a second hub.

The AxeFx is the only device that ever plays oddly with this system on connect/disconnect and it has always done it. The unit seems okay in other respects but it has gotten me wondering if I have some hardware fault that I have just been ignoring. Is my power supply screwed up?

I don't want the inconvenience of or the burden of having to remember to unplug the AxeFx USB cable every single time I power down but honestly I have a lot of expensive gear I do not want it frying (including itself).

Anyway, anyone got a take on this? Similar issues? Ideas for what you would do if your setup was doing this? Like I said it is very rarely a problem now but it did happen today to sort of spooky effect.

Honestly? Apple's Thunderbolt display is a POS. I'm sitting at one right now. Hate the thing. We're slowly moving the office over to Dell ultra-wides. People generally seem happier with them.

I can plug my MBPro in to my display and the Apple wired keyboard plugged in to the back of the display will disconnect and need to be un-plugged, plugged back in before it will work.

There's a reason Apple dropped it...I'd sell it now while it'll still fetch a premium and grab a Dell U3417W instead.

Back
Top Bottom