AxeFX New Feature Suggestions

Radley

Experienced
AxeFX New Feature Suggestions (I promise to study harder before I post again!)

• Filter block - Add selectable 6, 12, & 18 db slope options. Add direct mix control for additional ‘finesse’

• Drive block - Add direct mix (attack enhancement & articulation)

• Amp block - Add direct mix control (attack enhancement & articulation)

• Cab block - Add direct mix control (to cover all the in-between areas that would benefit those using physical cabs) Sometimes adding a bit of direct signal makes a Cab sound fatter & more ‘hifi’

• Compressors - Add bass & treble controls (to handle any loss of highs or bass build up caused by heavy compression - plus it’s handy for pre-EQ & tone boosting). Add a (super-fast) transient peak limiting function. Selectable combined pre-emphasis/de-emphasis (DynaComp) for those who like to compress the hi notes more.

• Three-band Global EQ or at least a Global ‘presence’ control

PS: I have noticed an excellent quality about the AFX’s compressors - they don’t do any of that horrible low-end volume swelling as the low notes sustain.... most excellent!

PPS: Please feel free to move this post if I put it in the wrong place.

~Rad~

I moved this to the wishlist area.

All are excellent suggestions but the Drive block already has a mix control and there's an 8-band Global EQ (two of them actually) under the Global menu.

You can use the Mixer block to add dry signal to blocks that don't have mix controls. Route a shunt around the block and then feed, for example, the amp and shunt to the mixer. Or you can put a volume block in parallel.

The problem with mixing dry signal with things like filters is you can get phase cancellation and cause a null in the resulting response. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

The compressors are even better in the upcoming firmware.

Radley said:
AxeFX New Feature Suggestions

• Filter block - Add selectable 6, 12, & 18 db slope options. Add direct mix control for additional ‘finesse’

• Drive block - Add direct mix (attack enhancement & articulation)

• Amp block - Add direct mix control (attack enhancement & articulation)

• Cab block - Add direct mix control (to cover all the in-between areas that would benefit those using physical cabs) Sometimes adding a bit of direct signal makes a Cab sound fatter & more ‘hifi’

• Compressors - Add bass & treble controls (to handle any loss of highs or bass build up caused by heavy compression - plus it’s handy for pre-EQ & tone boosting). Add a (super-fast) transient peak limiting function. Selectable combined pre-emphasis/de-emphasis (DynaComp) for those who like to compress the hi notes more.

• Three-band Global EQ or at least a Global ‘presence’ control

PS: I have noticed an excellent quality about the AFX’s compressors - they don’t do any of that horrible low-end volume swelling as the low notes sustain.... most excellent!

PPS: Please feel free to move this post if I put it in the wrong place.

~Rad~

Filter blocks slope options have been on the wish list for some time. You might want to take a bit of time and read thru the wishes that are already and vote for them. The master list is a good place to start but it hasn't been kept up.

As a workaround for the filter slope you can, as I'm sure you know, put 2 or more filters in series.

If you a have an ultra, you can use the multiband compressor to compress hi notes more or handle hi/low note build up.

As Cliff said Drive mix already there, global eq already there. Apart from the mixer you can use a volume or filter block in parallel w/ the amp or cab to add in a little dry signal.

Thanks guys - sorry for my 'nooby' ignorance! I'm still kinda new here & really need to learn more about the different ways I can route signals within the AFX. I know for a fact that I will be doing all kinds of creative things as soon as I have truly grasped 'Ultra - the big picture' :p

FractalAudio said:
The problem with mixing dry signal with things like filters is you can get phase cancellation and cause a null in the resulting response. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

Yes, I am all too familiar with that 'hollow' sound - Is this the case regardless of where the dry signal is added, ie within, or outside of the specific effect (via a mixer)?

FractalAudio said:

Hawt Dawg!!! :geek:

Radley: I'm gonna guess that you are the same Radley from the Boss GT Central forum (guitarist for Neil Diamond)? Cool to see you here! Did the GT-10's cocked-wah finally drive ya away from Boss? I haven't been on that forum much lately.

Chad said:
Radley: I'm gonna guess that you are the same Radley from the Boss GT Central forum (guitarist for Neil Diamond)? Cool to see you here! Did the GT-10's cocked-wah finally drive ya away from Boss? I haven't been on that forum much lately.

Hi Chad :p

I'm the guy, and I'm glad to be here! The Boss units have served me very well over the years but modeling keeps improving, and the ever present cocked-wah was always there in the background....yet I still managed to coax some very good sounds out of it. The AxeFX finally gives us access to all the in-depth parameters that create the rich subtleties & flavors of classic tube amps. I decided only today that I would be keeping my Ultra :eek: This knowledgeable board plus the fact that Cliff is so into this venture & keeping users happy adds up to one thing - I'm keeping my Ultra & gonna learn her inside/out! (with a lot of help from Cliff & this board of course - I feel like a beginner!)

Cheers to All,
~Rad~

Radley said:
Chad said:

I'm the guy, and I'm glad to be here! The Boss units have served me very well over the years but modeling keeps improving, and the ever present cocked-wah was always there in the background....yet I still managed to coax some very good sounds out of it. The AxeFX finally gives us access to all the in-depth parameters that create the rich subtleties & flavors of classic tube amps. I decided only today that I would be keeping my Ultra :eek: This knowledgeable board plus the fact that Cliff is so into this venture & keeping users happy adds up to one thing - I'm keeping my Ultra & gonna learn her inside/out! (with a lot of help from Cliff & this board of course - I feel like a beginner!)

Cheers to All,
~Rad~

Welcome to the dark side :) Glad to have you here ;)

Mik.

Radley said:
FractalAudio said:

Yes, I am all too familiar with that 'hollow' sound - Is this the case regardless of where the dry signal is added, ie within, or outside of the specific effect (via a mixer)?

FractalAudio said:

Hawt Dawg!!! :geek:

You can route in parallel and use a delay block, enhancer (width 0, phase reverse both), or a flanger (mix 0%, use dry delay parameter to add delay) to compensate for phase cancellation. I haven't tried the flanger thing (it just popped in my head), but it should work and give more granular control over the amount of delay.

Radley said:
Chad said:

Cheers to All,
~Rad~
hi rad!
...and didn´t you sell this harmonic converger for the boss stuff...? will the hc also make sense with the axe fx...?
best,
rudi

I'd like to see the HPF go beyond 1kHz. When I mix, I like to use something like Wave's LinMB or another similar multiband compressor, and compress the the life out of the high end (like 3-4kHz+) and then mix it in until it sits well with the rest of the spectrum.

thadood said:
I'd like to see the HPF go beyond 1kHz. When I mix, I like to use something like Wave's LinMB or another similar multiband compressor, and compress the the life out of the high end (like 3-4kHz+) and then mix it in until it sits well with the rest of the spectrum.

You can use a regular filter and the sidechain feature.

rudomat said:
Radley said:
[quote="Chad]hi rad!
...and didn´t you sell this harmonic converger for the boss stuff...? will the hc also make sense with the axe fx...?
best,
rudi
[/quote]

Rudi,

Sorry if it seemed like I was avoiding you - the HC will do a very similar thing with all modelers, but some modelers need a lot more help than others. With the Boss & Line6 modelers, I felt the HC was quite necessary to tighten the sound and eliminate unnatural fizz, but the AFX is in a different league - it has the most natural high end of any modeler I've heard, and one can get great 'believable' sounds direct (the toughest test) without any outboard help. As stated before, I will be using an HC with my AFX because I like the particular thing it does for my OD & Solo tones, but I would never say any additional effect is needed to make the AFX sound great.

Back
Top Bottom