AxeFx locked up, or user error? Modifier/ExtCntrl Pedal prob

paulasbell

Inspired
So... I've been having a ball attaching an ExtController (#2) to a ton of parameters, and creating patches which morph from straightforward cleans into wonderfully ambient places... great stuff! But I've hit a snag... is it me, or is my AfeFx misbehaving?

I've got a Roland EV-5 connected to Pedal 2 input, and appropriately configured in the I/O section. That's it for ExtCntrl, at present. But somehow, several of my personally set-up patches have ExtCntrl8 attached to parameters... and i can't seem to "undo" that. IOW, in the Modifier window, the "Source" field appears frozen at Externl 8, and i can't re-set it to anything else. Is there something in I/O that I'm overlooking, or ???

TIA for an assist!

Many, many hours later... I'm certainly learning things I didn't fully understand about assigning modifiers to controllers, but I'm ALSO convinced my AxeFx is misbehaving. Any help would be SO much appreciated!

My headaches seemed to begin when I started using a Roland EV-5. I've plugged it into Pedal 2 jack, assigned it to External2, calibrated it, and assigned it as a modifier to a bunch of parameters in various patches, which does lovely things!. So far, so good.

But when I attempt to look at the Mod page within the Control menu while in those patches, the AxeFx almost always refuses to go there, blinks, reverts to the envelope page, and freezes. I can go to the Mod page while in other patches which I've not hitched many mods to parameters to– and i can go to the page within my "densest" patch, which has all 16 mods assigned– but there are 2 patches which I've recently built that only have 3 or 4 modifiers, but I ALWAYS seem to get a freeze on those when trying to view the Mod page.

I'm presently trying to re-install my 9.0 firmware... but the process goes to completion, the AxeFx starts installing the Flash (that's what the window says) but then, the install fails. VERY frustrating, of course. I'm able to establish 2-way connection w/ AxeEdit, and also can save presets to my Mac SysEx Librarian, but can't seem to load 9.0 firmware using the SysEx lib.

Does this sound like a hardware/firmware problem, as opposed to user error? Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm also using a Roland EV-5 (into Pedal 1 input) and I don't have any of the issues you listed. None of my modifiers are stuck on Ext8, and my Ultra does not prevent me from going to the Mod page.

The only thing you mentioned that makes me nervous is The Editor. It borked my patches once before, and I never let the Editor near my Axe anymore. I would strongly recommend a clean f/w re-install with anything except the Editor. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may need to contact Fractal support.

Daniel

Still MORE hours later. I'm beginning to understand what happened.

I downloaded a patch from AxeChange at some point, named something like "Fuchs...", which of course, was a Dumble-ish patch using the Spec OD1 amp as a base. I tweaked it a bunch, saved it, and then used it as a basis for creating about 5 other patches, using different amp models, etc. Finally, after having created all these patches, i started introducing an External controller into a number of different parameters on one of the patches. At that point, i noticed very odd behavior of the controller assigns, and freezes whenever I went to the Mod page of the Control menu.

What I now realize is these freezes and wierd behavior occurred on EACH ONE of the 8-10 patches that I spun off of the orig downloaded "Fuchs" patch... but on no others. I now assume that the patch I originally downloaded was corrupted somehow, and of course every patch I made based on it was as well. I tried removing all the controller assignments from the patch, but the freezes persisted.

I just spent a bunch of hours basically re-creating these patches from a basic preset, entering the parameters by hand, comparing to make sure that they sounded identical to the corrupted patches, and writing over all the corrupted ones.

I'm knocking on wood that my problems are now behind me. But I'm struck by how easy it was to use and tweak a fundamentlly corrupted patch, and never know about it until many hours later.

I've written a description to Fractal tech support, but haven't yet heard back. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this, w/ corrupted patch files?

If you have a patch that reliably reproduces the problem, please send it to Fractal support. It *really* helps them to find deeply buried bugs and gremlins that are otherwise difficult to stumble upon.

Send them an email with a clear, detailed description of the improper behavior, and attach the patch.

Good timing! I just now received a post from Fractal tech support, saying essentially what you said.

As luck would have it, I've just purged all the offending patches from my AxeFx (I HOPE!) but I'm pretty sure I've got the bad ones saved. I'm going right now into my saved presets, and hope to find about 8 bad ones to send to them.

It's a warm, fuzzy feeling to think that they may be able to horse around w/ these patches, find the bug, incorporate into an update, and rid the AxeFx world of this pestilence which has robbed my sleep the last 3 nights...:)

Back
Top Bottom