AxeFx into Port City Pearl

Hello, I have a trade offer for a Port City Pearl head that I might take. Does anyone here run their AxeFx into one? I've heard they are really transparent so would I need to turn the power amp sims off on the AxeFx or would they sound good/better left on? Also into the effects loop or in front of the amp? I saw Tosin and Javier run theirs into the front in a Rig Rundown from a couple of years ago.

It's either this or I might just buy a Matrix power amp. I still have the Port City OS 2x12 from when I had my Mark V head that I would play it through.

Thanks for any info you guys/gals can send my way.

After doing some more searching, it looks like straight into the front of the amp with power sims on is the way to go. I found a few discussions and YouTube videos that sound incredible.

Would the AxeFx plug into the Hi or Lo input on the front? I've never had an amp with 2 inputs before.

Animals as Leaders do it.. and they sound wicked frickin good. That is a CLEAAANNN amp. You can def pull it off.

Animals as Leaders do it.. and they sound wicked frickin good. That is a CLEAAANNN amp. You can def pull it off.

+1

I saw Tosin Abasi play at the first AxeFest. He played his AX2 through a Pearl City cab with backing tracks. His tone was awesome. It was a mind altering performance. Tosin was playing an 8 string guitar. Tight powerful bass with no flub. For that style he sounded great.

I think that it was the 2x12 Vertical Wave cabinet. At least that's what looks right. I was one of several guys who helped him carry his gear to his car. But I didn't look for details on the cab.

That definitely looks like one of the 2x12 vertical cabinets in the video I found on YouTube. Looks like I'm picking up the head this weekend. All the demos I've found even without an AxeFx sound incredible.

Tosin definitely had great tone when I saw him at AxeFest. His performance was really incredible.

Port City Pearls are very highly regarded amps and are built to be clean machines so you'll probably be okay. I had nothing but problems with the one I had but it could have been a dud I guess. It was super clean though. No breakup, and I mean...none.

Back
Top Bottom