AxeFx in acoustic treated bedroom vs. non-treated bedroom?

Is it worth having walls covered in acoustic foam panels and bass traps in corners?

If you are just playing guitar and playing the recordings of the guitar back, would the improvements if any, be big enough to justify acoustic panels etc?

is it a night and day difference?

I watched a video where it said if you clap your hands and hear the clap echo that tells you how much treatment you hear...

I have a couch and carpet on the floor, and paintings/posters/art sculptures covering most of my walls, I don't know if that stuff helps any, but I don't hear an echo when I clap my rooms. So based on that, if that's true, seems like it wouldn't do me much good. Maybe I just answered my own question? You tell me.

For home use, probably not as that stuff isn’t cheap

Mixing for paying clients ? Then yes, just like you’d probably find better monitors in a pro studio than what is used at home

Doesn’t mean you can’t do it, won’t hurt, but how picky is the audience of one? Know what I mean lol

Wouldn't bubble wrap work too? But it wouldn't look too cool. Maybe as general decor or for the image of it. Might have a wow factor. It's a image gimmick generally, specifically it works.

If you mic a cab, you would just need to dampen out an area around the mic.. thats legit.

Room acoustics can be an extremely complex subject. If you're not running into issues that are making you think that you need acoustic treatment, you probably don't need it. That's not to say that it wouldn't make a difference, it's just that if you're not at a point where you're noticing those issues, and your room doesn't have any glaringly obvious echoes, your money would probably be better invested elsewhere.

I have a couple of acoustic panels that I use just for when I'm recording vocals; and then not always. I'd like to get room treatment at some point, but my recordings sound reasonably good enough as is, and my mixing abilities aren't nearly good enough for room treatment to be major factor in my results. If I ever start producing consistently high quality recordings, I may just buy a room measurement mic, and go about installing treatment.

That may or may not ever happen.

Bubblewrap? no
Dimples, and depression dissipates sound though. Like the golf ball. Is sound absorbed into the foam? Or micro capillary action of foam catacombs dissipates sound.
If your playing through the guitar and speakers at what decibel.. moderate volume wont create sound bouncing enough to matter.
What muddiness you would get from echos... delays, reverts, all the effects.. muddy up sound at far greater impact than room acoustics.
Orientation of speakers in relationship to room shape.
For general purposes... its decor and image.
Wouldn't you prefer the classic Hendrix poster or Mt. Everest on the wall? Something creative.
Square sound panels kill your rooms creativity. Creating boxes.

I think that your thinking is sideways. This is how poor information is promulgated on the internet. Stand down, sir; stand down.

I know, I know.
Is a sideways analogy that incorporates my perspective of it. Putting this stupid thing on the wall. I thinks it's more about image generally from a point of view in context with decking out your jam room when your playing by ear.
My response is relative to the inquiry.. the delivery is related to my personality.

I shall stand down. Let him get a mix of responses...simple to specific... pragmatic to the holy grail. He can filter what he reads. Any opinion or perspective is gainful to him.

I think that your thinking is sideways. This is how poor information is promulgated on the internet. Stand down, sir; stand down.
You didn't think I was convincing him of bubble wrapping his room did you? Yeah I twisted it up with the golf balls.
But I'm sorry. The forum is to point these folks in the right direction.

Is it worth having walls covered in acoustic foam panels and bass traps in corners? If you are just playing guitar and playing the recordings of the guitar back, would the improvements if any, be big enough to justify acoustic panels etc?
Its a subjective question. Besides the recording studio in my house, my living room & bedroom are treated. Mainly because i want my sounds to transfer to my own studio or other studios I might record in. Many people do not enjoy a treated room. It can sound to some very sterile. An untreated room will have plenty of reflections just like some auditoriums and other venues you play live. Of course if you have an acoustic issue it might be worthwhile to treat only that specific condition.

is it a night and day difference?
It can be, but since you are not listing numerous complains about your room then probably no.

I watched a video where it said if you clap your hands and hear the clap echo that tells you how much treatment you hear...
A hand clap mainly gives you an idea of the Reverb Time (RT) for the room. Also a hand clap contains more than one frequency but it is still limited. It will not give you a good measurement of low or high freqs. Plus there are a number of acoustic issues a hand clap will not indicate. When I used to work live sound one of the first things I would do at a venue is clap my hands and yell. It gave a very basic idea although I had to account with it filling up with people that will greatly effect acoustics.

I have a couch and carpet on the floor, and paintings/posters/art sculptures covering most of my walls, I don't know if that stuff helps any, but I don't hear an echo when I clap my rooms. So based on that, if that's true, seems like it wouldn't do me much good. Maybe I just answered my own question? You tell me.
Everything in a room effects the acoustics. Some positive, some negative. A couch & carpet (and the padding beneath) can be good absorb some frequencies. Art work depends. If they have glass in front, the glass will tend to reflect higher frequencies back into the room. But other frequencies will pass thru. What happens then is decided by what is behind the glass. Often low frequencies will pass thru and get absorbed acting like a bass trap though not as good as rockwill or real traps.
When you see a glass window in a studio, it has two or three panes separated by air. Sound energy is used up transferring thru the glass and air.
If you are not recording in the room or worrying about your sounds transferring exactly, then it really comes down to whether you like the sound in the room. We all tweak our presets to our own rooms whether they are treated or not.

There are free or cheap things you can do that improve room acoustics. Add some pillows, especially in room corners. They will absorb low freqs. I have stacks of those cheap thick mexican blankets (been to Tijuana a few times!) which you can find at thrift stores or flea markets too. Folded up they can also absorb low freqs. When I record at remote locations I throw them all over reflective surfaces to cut down on mids-to-highs. You can hang them on walls, throw over reflective furniture, etc. I have one that hangs over my studio door and in my bedroom over the big mirror. Another thing I have is sheetrock wrapped in a blanket that I use to isolate (for spill) a guitar amp/cab, drums or even things like AC, generators & other things. No. None is perfect and you have to be careful not to ruin a room. Still it can be a low-cost solution and I and many others have used it on major recording projects.

Reactions: Rex
for a normal size bedroom, your main problem with hearing an accurate representation of what is coming out of your speakers is going to be bass cancellation. bass can only be truly controlled with 1) mass or 2) an open window :)

to make a noticeable improvement in that type of room, your going to need to invest in some bass traps, or build your own. lots of threads about this on gearslutz.com and other forums

but if your not trying to create a studio-type recording environment, it might be overkill.

for a normal size bedroom, your main problem with hearing an accurate representation of what is coming out of your speakers
As I said, Accurate is subjective. Both whether a person truly wants accuracy. And what is accuracy.

to make a noticeable improvement in that type of room, your going to need to invest in some bass traps, or build your own.
Or use things like pillows and blankets. And it can still be a noticeable improvement. Doesn't sound like the OP (or most home users) is looking for a pristine recording environment.
When I was a fulltime engineer & producer back in the 80's, there were still a lot of major studios that were not treated in a modern technical sense. Some of the so-called acoustic experts would tell you are all wrong and laugh at.
There is a famous saying "Trust your ears."

I will not spend what they want for acoustic treatment. I solved my problem by buying from China. It is one tenth the cost. Sometimes you don't want a dead room. I have actually put clients in my shower to sing parts because I want a real tile reverb sound. Another trick is to put a studio monitor in a tile room and mike it and have the client sing in a dry room. This way you can blend the two. It is a nice way to get that Fleetwood Mac reverb on the vocals sound. Just add delay and it is dead on. You don't want a big tile room, just enough to make it lively. If you always record the same way, you will always sound the same. This is why there are world famous studios is because the space is not dead but lively in a good way. I have read all kind of crazy things people do to the extreme to get a certain tone. Throw all the rules out the window and experiment. The innovators make this world.

Back
Top Bottom